R1150GS EML Enduro

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by Boxer Metal, Jan 27, 2013.

1. Boxer Metal

Boxer Metal Mad Scientist

Oddometer:
    Started with an 1150GS and most of a used EML kit I purchased in Holland last Fall. There was no body with the kit s I'm building one from scratch. It will have on-board air, winch with front and rear receivers and the ability to tow another motorcycle. This rig will be used as a chase vehicle for http://www.rawhyde-offroad.com/.

No more para-lever.

[​IMG]

Subframe

[​IMG]

Leading link and all wheels are 14".

[​IMG]

Starting on the sidecar frame.

[​IMG]
  2. Boxer Metal

Oddometer:
    Last couple of days has been body mounts and lots of tube bending and notching.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  3. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    What was included in the EML parts you bought? Sub-frame and struts? Sub-frame, struts and leading link?

When you say "no more paralever" did you maybe mean "no more telelever"? (For non-BMW aficionados out there, the paralever is the rear swingarm and the telever is the front suspension A-bracket but even BMW guys sometimes mis-speak and say them in reverse!)

Those Rawhyde guys are gonna love having 2 gallons of instant air! But Gawd that thing takes up a lot of space. I like your idea of mounting it in a box so that (I'm guessing) you can easily remove it and replace it with a cargo box and seat when you want to go out and bash around on your own.
  4. Boxer Metal

Oddometer:
    The EML came with everything minus some hardware and the body. Correct- Telalever.. It was very late when I posted this:D.
  5. davebig

davebig Another Angry Hun !

Oddometer:
    Very nice utilitarian chariot, I'm not a big fan of the box tube but given the amount of work your doing it's surely able to give you a straight and square start.I thought I hung out in the only welding shop with microwave magnets everywhere.I didn't see you there ! LOL
  6. Dominator

Dominator n00b

Oddometer:
    Quote:
    <table border="0" cellpadding="4" cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <tbody><tr> <td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset"> Originally Posted by DRONE [​IMG]
    What was included in the EML parts you bought? Sub-frame and struts? Sub-frame, struts and leading link?

When you say "no more paralever" did you maybe mean "no more telelever"? (For non-BMW aficionados out there, the paralever is the rear swingarm and the telever is the front suspension A-bracket but even BMW guys sometimes mis-speak and say them in reverse!)

Those Rawhyde guys are gonna love having 2 gallons of instant air! But Gawd that thing takes up a lot of space. I like your idea of mounting it in a box so that (I'm guessing) you can easily remove it and replace it with a cargo box and seat when you want to go out and bash around on your own.

</td> </tr> </tbody></table>

From the pictures, it looks like BMWEuro is correct! :clap
    No more Paralever AND no more Telelever!
    In the rear, no more Paralever, as it looks like a steel MONOLEVER with a fixed torque shaft. :eek1

This is one tough looking Hombre!:gun1
  7. pops

pops Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice build BMWEuro :clap:clap.
    I would love to hear more about the "steel MONOLEVER with a fixed torque shaft":ear

Cheers Ian
  8. Boxer Metal

Oddometer:
    The pivot on the rear drive had to be cut off and the driveshaft is stock. I'll see if I can take some more detailed pictures.
  9. dholaday

dholaday Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    BMWEuro: Looks cool.

What width wheels are they [4"; 4.5"; 5" ??]?

What size tires?

Same wheels/tires on all 3 corners?

Thanks,
    Duncan
  10. Boxer Metal

Oddometer:
    They are all 3 the same and 14's. Sorry for the late reply.
  11. Boxer Metal

Oddometer:
    More welding.....

[​IMG]

Mocking up the fender. I think it would look better if a section 2" out of it.

[​IMG]

Bigger step/side bumper. I'll cut the small one off.

[​IMG]

Locking rear box mount.

[​IMG]

The rear box houses a compressor and tank and is portable.

[​IMG]
  12. claude

claude Sidecar Jockey

Oddometer:
    Cool stuff Chris!!
  13. BeeMaa

BeeMaa Submariner

Oddometer:
    What's the deal with the black beauty in the background?
  14. Boxer Metal

Oddometer:
    That is a customers bike that is getting a set of my 15" alloy rims and a bunch of other stuff. He has had the rig for over 20 years and over 200,000 miles.
  15. Boxer Metal

Oddometer:
    Thanks Claude:D
  16. Boxer Metal

Oddometer:
    Swing out bumper hinges.

[​IMG]

Swing out bumper open.

[​IMG]

Swing out bumper closed.

[​IMG]

Adjustable rubber bumpers.

[​IMG]

Without the aluminum box

[​IMG]
  17. kailuasurfer

kailuasurfer Dreamer

Oddometer:
    Wow! Another great rig, Chris!
  18. twintwin

twintwin Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Your GSA rig looks so great, cannot wait to see the final product. Could you please explain the reasons of the "steel monotlever", maybe Claude or Jay could also jump on this technical question, I would love to hear more about the improvements over the OEM one.
  19. claude

claude Sidecar Jockey

Oddometer:
    Hello didier. I had mentioned earlier this year that we plan to do one similar to what Chris has pictured here this winter. One on a 1200 an done on my 1150. Looks liek mine will take a backseat due to work load here at the shop. Anyhow the idea is that the elimination of th estock telelever allows a much more beefy assembly than other wise and also adds more structure to th esubframe itself. Is it really necessary? In most cases probably not. We have more than one of our outfits doing world tours as this is written with no issues related to the stock telelver assembly. But.... more beef is never a bad thing. If you are concerned aboput your personal setup in our shop...don't be. EZS pprovided a great product that shoudl do you well for a long long time!! By thw way....Got your sidecar brake rotor adaptor machined today...looks cool!!
  20. claude

claude Sidecar Jockey

Oddometer:
    AMEN. Those swingaway bumpers and such are cool things. We have done similar setups for panniers an dspare tires. I see some european (Peter Stern I think) setups which also take advantage of what swingaway type systems can do. Cool stuff and very practical.