High Definition TV - Plasma, LCD, LED questions

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by Howzit, May 23, 2010.

1. El Hombre

El Hombre Banned

Oddometer:
    Simple question, why? What are you going to see than a lesser unit.
  2. Sniper X

Sniper X De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer:
    Central New Mexico, 7420ft above sea level
    Well, if one was to compare it to an LCD or LED LCD, then the answer would be in short because it is a plasma and plasma was DESIGNED to show motion, and LCD wasn't. There are rants infinitum from me and technical data on the site about this. Basically in long it is because the contrast ratio, and the fact it runs at 600hz normally, is the real reason to buy plasma over a LCD or LED LCD. Other than that it is 1080p native and bright and has a great picture qulaity and way better blacks since LCD can not make black......

Remember, a LCD or LED LCD is a LIGHT transmitting DEVICE, a plasma is a light EMMITTING device. Also, as said, plasma works constantly at 600hz and is ALWAYS 1080p HD, a LCD LED LCD is almost NEVER 1080p, only when it is showing NO motion, if any motion is present, it drops resolution when fast motion is present, it drops to under STANDARD DEF resolution. Even if they overclock them to 120 or 240hz, there are still motion artifacts, and that is like a fake Rolex, nice but not RIGHT.
  3. Benesesso

Benesesso Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, think that's what we'll get. Now, where to buy it?
  4. Sniper X

Oddometer:
    cheapest place locally so you have support, which you don't buying online. Plus it supports local eco.
  5. rollinrob

rollinrob Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just got a Panasonic Veria 42 inch plasma 720p. $539 out the door. Very happy with it, perfect fit for my little house, cabin for you city folk.

Reading all of SinperX's posts on the subject helped me make the choice, definitely not the sales guys at the stores.
  6. Ceri JC

Ceri JC UK GSer

Oddometer:
    When I researched this, the consensus seemed to be for >42" plasma is better.

I opted for a 50" LG Plasma. Picture quality romps on everything bar £1000+ plasma screens from the really big names. Not bad, considering it cost £540. To begin with, I didn't notice much difference, but now that I'm used to it, LCD absolutely sucks to my eyes now, especially the (in)ability to show a proper 'black' on the screen.
  7. Sniper X

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I hope people can cut thru the hype from not only the sales guys but the BS on the net too. I am lucky that I know both an LCD designer and THE designer for the Panasonic plasmas. Long story but Nihons love to get drunk with me and talk about design.....
  8. Benesesso

Benesesso Long timer

Oddometer:
    My local Costco doesn't have any Panasonic 50"plasmas. Best Buy has a Viera TC-P5OU2 for $700. Any different from the TC-P50G10?
  9. El Hombre

El Hombre Banned

Oddometer:
    Thank you, I bought the plasma after reading the same things you mentioned about it being the best for motion. Which is what television is all about.

Never saw any review mention the tech reasons tho, that's nice to know the reasons why it's better. You have any comment on why plasma has been dissed compared to LCD? Once I found out the truth, I was kind of glad it is dissed, got a better picture for less money.
  10. Benesesso

Benesesso Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just returned from a local "Superstore". The 42" Panasonic Viera 1020p they had on display looked awful compared with every LCD and LED/LCD on display.

They only had a few big plasma TV's running, and every one lacked the colors and sharpness of any of the LCD models. The difference was like night and day.

Do some of these stores purposely screw up the plasma TV settings or am I missing something here? :confused
  11. Sniper X

Oddometer:
    the P50U2 is 720P native, the 50G is 1080p native.. 1.2 to 2.2 million pixels...
  12. Sniper X

Oddometer:
    There are many things that come into play here. LCD LED has such shapness in a picture that isn't moving that it LOOKS sharper than plasma because ti is overly sharp. There is a difference between sharpenss and resolution.....

Secondly, the stores intentionally pump the sharpness on LCD and lower it on plasma to sell more of what they make more money on.....AND the pump the colours too.

TAKE YOUR own content and make them put it on the sets you want to see, then get the remote and put themall back to factory settings.......there is a reason they will tell you you can't do this in the sotre.....

The other reason they intentionally make LCD lok more impressive is the makers are all trying to sell all the LCD thay can because there is something new on the horizon....sorry I can't tell you about it though.....:evil
  13. Benesesso

Benesesso Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks!

So, how long will I have to wait until the new stuff arrives? BTW, I still have a 19" Panasonic that must be 35 years old. Still looks great but ya gotta sit close---.
  14. Zecatfish

Zecatfish XTique Rider

Oddometer:
  15. Sniper X

Oddometer:
    There wil be grumblings shortly after the Christmas buying season and the after buying season is complete, but nothing concrete till later next year. And it'll be pricy......
  16. Sniper X

Oddometer:
    BTW, don't stand right in front of any display whilst evaluating them.....LCD LED have bad colour fall off at angles, and brightness fall off at up down angle. Sooo, when evaluating the pictures, move around and be aware of the difference...plasma doesn't have any of that.....
  17. Benesesso

Benesesso Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good info. Wallymart only wants ~$475 for the 42" Viera (sign said 1020p).

We would be (lemme go measure) ~12' front of screen-to-eyeballs away, and at a shallow off-center angle.

Nowthen, having had very good luck with Panasonic TVs (much less so with DVD stuff), I note that Consumers Reports rates the Samsungs just ahead of the Panas. Having had a digital Samsung camera just self-destruct, what's your opinion of them?
  18. Sniper X

Oddometer:
    Samsung in the consumer world makes a great LED LCD panel, I would not buy ANY plasma other than Panasonic because they have been making them so long they have problems worked out whilst other makers are YEARS behind. I think 42 way too small for 12ft away! that is at least 50in terrotory....id say 55~65 for options....
  19. Sniper X

Oddometer:
  20. Benesesso

Benesesso Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks--there goes the budget! In that big a size, it'll have to be plasma. Good thing I watch very little TV, and we all know my wife has very low standards---. :1drink