Back in Black

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Geek, Feb 21, 2011.

1. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    Why am I grinning ear to ear while I'm taking this photo?

[​IMG]
  2. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    ...cuz the engine's running in the photo :D

I had to go for a booger around the neighborhood.. I slapped things back together (you know the routine.. just the corners of the airbox.. 2 bolts for the glove box.. just the top bolts for the fuel tanks.. slide the headlight in and :ricky

[​IMG]

Holy heck does it feel different.

I can't come anywhere near touching the ground.. if one foot is down the other foot is 8 inches in the air (I wonder how much the suspension will pack down?) :D The geometry with the 20mm offset and the 4 inch risers is also completely different feeling. I think I might remove the damper and get to know the feeling and then reapply it afterward...

I have to take it apart and finish a bunch of things.. but at least I got a few minutes on her this evening. :clap

[​IMG]
  3. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    Gotta like syncing the cylinders with this thing.. super easy.

Stick it in the front hole... note the number
    [​IMG]

Stick it in the back hole.. make sure its the same number
    [​IMG]

Try it at different RPMs

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:thumbs
  4. AdvGa

AdvGa Long timer

Oddometer:
    Remarkably consistant!

Thanks for sharing your process...
  5. jay71

jay71 Farklin' Poser

Oddometer:
    Looks great Ed!! Like the new stance- now I'm second guessing not going the full monty like you did!
  6. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    We should head out to IMI and work on our setups.
    Ride 'em back to back and compare.

I need to get this thing in the air a few times and see what the suspension can do. Start breaking it in.

I've no doubt I'm going to drop it lots more.. now that I can't reach the ground.
  7. jay71

jay71 Farklin' Poser

Oddometer:
    Agreed. I should be able to get out this coming weekend. Had my first get off last time I was at IMI. It's time for a redemption session! I'll get those bastard pivot pegz off this week for a more stable platform.
  8. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    I'd like to try the pivot pegs a bit...

I have that buggered up ankle and I have to say, riding your bike was easier on it!

:freaky
  9. jay71

jay71 Farklin' Poser

Oddometer:
    Well I'll keep them on then. They would be better if they had stiffer springs IMO.
  10. 1Bonehead

1Bonehead Fearless of Falling

Oddometer:

Your bike is looking great. I am all ears to hear how you like the new suspension. Get soem good spring time pics going soon, Please.

I went with this coold little tool form a vendor here for balancing. Best is you balance both at once and the thing is sweet.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=701625&highlight=harmonizer
  11. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:

Yeah me too :lurk

The 2 miles I've ridden it so far it feels super stiff but I've not even started to set it up. I need to go find a nice (?) washboard road and speed up the break in procedure :D

re: Spring time pics:
    For the first time ever, we didn't get a drop of snow in the Colorado Front Range for the month of March (march is traditionally our snowiest month). If we make it through April without snow the high country will open early this year... that said, April 19th last year the mountains above us got 3+ feet so I'm not holding my breath.

I need to get out a long lens and shoot some snow peaks with the bike.

[​IMG]
  12. Flyin Phil

Flyin Phil Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How's it sound? :ear:ear
    :evil

Stance looks great, balances out the big tanks well. With the long legs and the new pipe/tool box combo all that's left to do is stuff a 990 in there :deal

Great project thread, thanks for sharing. You've confirmed a good Colorado tour on my list of must do road trips.
  13. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    It sounds really good! That said.. the exhaust is temporary... there's something else exhaust wise being put together for this bike but development isn't done yet.

14. Flyin Phil

Oddometer:
    I've been waiting for the exhaust on cj's website to go from "in development" to "order here" but I could wait no longer...

Did your Remus come with a spark arrestor? All the literature suggests as much, but my revolutions from ktm twins were neither spark arrestor equipped, nor titanium, as advertised...:huh
  15. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    Which exhaust is that? This one isn't on cj's website :dunno

16. Flyin Phil

Oddometer:
  17. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    I hadn't seen that.. looks pretty cool but nope.. that's not what we're upto.

Spent all morning working on the bike... luggage racks & such are back on. Now I just have to do a bunch of wiring :patch
  18. rockitdoc

rockitdoc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not to worry. Snow is coming this weekend. I keep my snow tires on until July, anymore. Global warming, ya know?

:1drink
  19. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Things are coming together. I've been chasing a ghost in the electrical system and I need to do a clutch rebuild.. but I have had a chance to start breaking in the suspension and it is getting better with every ride.

When I ran the Switzerland trail the other day.. there is a section of baby heads I ran back and forth across at various speeds (aiming right for the nastiest bits) just to see what the suspension was capable off. Finally I "got it wrong" and the back end bucked sideways and almost chucked me off the 300+foot cliff :eek1

Perhaps the suspension is a little too confidence inspiring :rofl

Random pics from this week's riding:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  20. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    I'm really hoping tomorrow's snow forecast will be a "1 day melt" like usual down here... but up high they are saying 20+ inches which means we're that much further from being able to get to the fun stuff this summer :(:
    After Wed night's thunderstorms I noticed everything over 11,000 was freshly coated with snow Thrusday morning.

C'est la vie :freaky