Anyone using after market horns?

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by themobb, Jul 15, 2010.

1. themobb

themobb Is this thing on???

Oddometer:
    The horn on my new GS8 is positively wimpy compared to my old Goldwing.
    There is an interesting article here on Webbikeworld where they tested various aftermarket horns.

Anybody mounted one up?

Lance
  2. Pete O Static

Pete O Static Adventure Seeker

Oddometer:
  3. Y E T I

Y E T I Unpossible

Oddometer:
    I've got the Stebel Magnum on mine. Better than stock but not as awesome as the Nautilus I had on my 1200GS. That horn cleared traffic.
  4. EnderTheX

EnderTheX Dirt Rider

Oddometer:
    Ooo... I was originally impressed by the horn on my F800GS because I could actually hear it as opposed to my SV650 which you wouldn't notice in a library... I may look into these for both my bikes. Nothing brightens my day more than telling some phoney or texting jackass to fuck off! :lol3

Oh yeah and saving your skin when getting nudged off the highway is good too!
  5. dvgonzo

dvgonzo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have used the Stebil dual electric horns for a couple decades and have always been quite happy with their performance as they are at the very least a couple big steps up from what most scooters come with stock. It is about the very first item I swap out on all my bikes. Safety first, you know?

Well about 5-6 years back when they first came out with these compact air horns I mounted one up on my KLR. Talk about L-O-U-D! They say 139 decibels and now I almost like it when some moron is not paying attention. You hit the button and the offending cager will about roll their car trying to get the hell out of in front of the 18 wheeler they are positive is bearing down on them! They really could rattle your fillings loose!

These are easily a couple steps above what the aftermarket electric horns were to the stock horns. Now I want to change out the horns on the rest of my fleet........
  6. GeckoRider

GeckoRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oakland, CA, USA, Thrid Rock from the Star Sol
    Where are people mounting the Nautilus on the F800GS? I'd like to have the option to wake the dead or put the fear of being run over by a 18 wheeler in to others around here in NYC. Just not sure where it would fit. . .
  7. themobb

Oddometer:
    I've been thinking about that as well. I put crashbars on, so I guess there ought to be some way to hang them off of those...

How about it, anybody got pic's? Also, does anyone know if the f8 has a horn relay built in?

Lance
  8. Y E T I

Y E T I Unpossible

Oddometer:
    Those that have been running the Nautilus have been splitting the horns from the canister and running a piece of vacuum line between them.

HERE is a thread I started when I was thinking about it.

In the end, I elected to go with the Magnum since it was practically plug n' play. I only had to clip off the BMW horn connector and crimp on the two that come with the horn. Done. Mounted in the stock location and everything.
  9. raider

raider Big red dog

Oddometer:
  10. KnuckC

KnuckC F8er

Oddometer:
    Originally posted by YetiGS:

Yeti, how do you find the performance of the Magnum? The Nautilus installation looks like too much of a hassle.
  11. Gangplank

Gangplank Advenchaintourer

Oddometer:
  12. Spinalcracker

Spinalcracker former redriderofma

Oddometer:
    This is the Stebel Magnum. Just drops right in. Louder than the stock but not as loud as the Stebel Nautilus

[​IMG]
  13. themobb

Oddometer:
  14. Gangplank

Oddometer:
    It's a plastic horn. If you want to you could trim it. I don't have any issues with mine but I don't ride it like some offroad. I ride hard but have never bottomed the stock set up that I know of.

What would happen? It would hit the plastic fender... And? Don't see the issue happening. It was cheap and works great for 10,000 miles +.
  15. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    The Stebel Mangum needs a bit of plastic trimmin' and spades installed.

I found I had a horm from an RT that fit perfectly, it even had the same connector, so it was 100% plug'n'play, and it louder than the stock meep meep..
  16. themobb

Oddometer:
    I just pulled the trigger on the Stebel TM80 Magnum, low tone, in black from Hornsplusauto. $19.95 including shipping.

Can't wait to get rid of the "Meep, Meep". :clap
    Thanks for everyone's help in this thread!

Lance
  17. Gangplank

Oddometer:
    I think you'll like it. Easy mod, the trimming is minor and it's car horn sound is great. :)
  18. Y E T I

Y E T I Unpossible

Oddometer:
    Good enough, certainly as loud as car horns.
  19. themobb

Oddometer:
    Finally got it installed... Way to many projects and Honey Doo's....

Anyway, I though I'd try my Radio Shack sound level meter before and after to see the difference.

Believe me, I know this is not scientific, but I think it's fairly accurate in "relative" terms. The bike is in the garage, so lots of echo. I hold the meter out in front of the bike as far as I can reach and still reach the horn button. Works out to be about three feet from the horn. Meter set to C weighting and fast response.

Stock horn: 110db

Stebel Magnum: 118db

For what it's worth...

BTW: the tone is much lower and more car sounding. i like it better than the stock "Beep".

Lance
  20. Gangplank

Oddometer:
    Actually that is a big difference. 118 is 8x louder than 110db. It's like earthquakes. :lol3
    http://www.rcaanews.org/noiselev.htm