The Official Micatech Luggage Thread

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by Micatech, May 27, 2010.

1. Micatech

Micatech Motorcycle Luggage

Oddometer:
    Funny you should ask. We're updating the website now and adding the Multistrada 1200 to the list... Yes, V2 Cases on SW-Motech Racks are available. It's best to give us a call to place an order.
  2. Micatech

Oddometer:
    Here are a few awesome photos sent to us by a customer. Excellent detail of the Micatech quality! :deal

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  3. Micatech

Oddometer:
    Check out the new site we just launched earlier today. A slick new layout with easy to find information about the products. We think you're going to like it :wink:

Go ahead and subscribe to the blog while you're there :deal

http://www.Micatech.net

[​IMG]
  4. cug

cug Out riding ...

Oddometer:
    Love the new site! Much, much better that the old one!
  5. Micatech

Oddometer:
    Thanks! We're pretty excited about it too :thumb
  6. King Chicken

King Chicken n00b

Oddometer:
    I liked the new site as well, looks very sharp.

I did have a problem trying to order my V2's online though. Your registration system is only usable by people from US regions. There are no Canadian provinces in the drop down list and a Canadian postal code is rejected by the system. I'll be calling early next week to place my order, but I just thought a heads up going your way wouldn't go amiss.
  7. Micatech

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the heads up. We'll look into getting that updated. We look forward to your order, thanks! FYI: We typically ship UPS within the United States and USPS if going to Canada - it'll save you a good chunk of change.
  8. Micatech

Oddometer:
    Just received a new V-Pilot photo from one of our customers. Great looking bike!
    Details: BMW R1200GS with 10" Black Micatech V-Pilot Panniers and Medium Black Top Case

[​IMG]

The snow is melting up here in NH and we're enjoying the riding! Are you guys out riding? Post up some photos of your 2011 spring adventures.
  9. King Chicken

King Chicken n00b

Oddometer:
    Ordered!

Your 888 number doesn't work from Western Canada either. :cry Luckily a little digging at the website turned up your regular phone number.

Looking forward to my new luggage in the near future so's I can send you pics for your zippy new website. Can't have everyone thinking the KLR-A is the best looking one. :evil
  10. Micatech

Oddometer:
    :clap Awesome - Looking forward to your photos!
    Sorry about the toll free number. It's not NAFTA approved.
  11. cug

cug Out riding ...

Oddometer:
    Received and installed. Tested around the block, not on a real ride. That will come on the weekend, but here are initial impressions and photos.

This is for informational purpose for people trying to find a narrow exhaust that will work with full sized left side pannier on Pilot mounts without lowering the stock exhaust.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It installed fine, some small glitches though. There were no instructions so I went with "feeling it out". The "hanger" seems to go behind the frame mount or else it won't fit correctly, the bolt was a bit too short for this to grab the lock nut properly. Should have been 5mm longer. I'll get a longer bolt locally.

Also, the fit is not absolutely perfect, it doesn't slide on as much as the OEM exhaust, but the connection still seems solid. Some exhaust gases coming out at the bottom, but really not much and shouldn't be a problem at all. I hadn't checked whether the same happens with the OEM installed which is totally possible.

I did some noise measurements, but just with an iPhone 4 and the Faber Acoustics app. This is supposed to be surprisingly precise with regard to differences - which is the important part for what I wanted to know.

Surprising result: the Hattech is about 3db(A) at idle and 5db(A) at 3500rpm quieter than stock. That is with baffles in and I didn't test with them removed. The sound seems to be pretty much the same, just less loud on my 2010 model which I like very much. Whether there is a performance difference I have no idea and will probably never find out as I'm not planning on putting it on a dyno.

Weight-wise the Hattech is 6.3kg while the OEM is 5.2kg on my bathroom scale, so the Hattech is 1.2kg heavier. Not a problem for me. I didn't buy it for performance or weight saving but for the narrow profile.

So far I am very happy with my purchase. I'll report more once I have really ridden the bike with the new exhaust and will make a decision then whether I keep it (and order the Micatech V-Pilot) or not. At the moment, it looks like a winner!
  12. Micatech

Oddometer:
    Cug,

Thanks for the Hattech write-up. Good notes. Let us know how it goes during your test rides. It certainly looks pretty slick!

Drop us an email and we can find a customer in your area if you want to take a closer look at the Micatech Pilot Mounting system. Perhaps seeing it in person, comparing your bikes side by side and taking real time measurements will help determine if everything will fit together properly.
  13. cug

cug Out riding ...

Oddometer:
    I'm fairly certain that everything will fit together. Given the photos I've seen and how it looks installed, there will probably about 1/2 inch clearance between the exhaust and the case.

I'll just give the exhaust some run-in time to see whether I like it, whether it stays tight and that there are no obvious problems.

During that time I wait for you guys to think more about the 9" cases or even toploaders for the Pilot mounts ... :evil
  14. Micatech

Oddometer:
    We here ya. Although, 9" cases aren't likely to get made. As for the top loaders... we're sketching :wink:
  15. cug

cug Out riding ...

Oddometer:
    Awesome. Keep me updated! I can beta test ... But I'm pretty far away unfortunately.

Nevertheless, I'll get cases as soon I plan a longer tour - the coming one will be done with soft luggage as it took just too long for the exhaust to arrive here.
  16. cug

cug Out riding ...

Oddometer:
    While you are thinking about a top loader, maybe I can do an "idea dump" here and you might take things into consideration.

• No hinges for the lids. If you have hinges you pretty much have to take of luggage that is strapped to the passenger seat area. The Touratech Zega or BMW OEM concept is pretty good, though I'd really do without the retainer strap of the OEMs.
    • Lids not too high. Makes loading awkward.
    • Should have a common size, so that available liners will "just fit". I'd love to fit the Kriega Bag in medium expansion the case.
    • I'd hate cases that have a large "lip" around the opening. Makes using tight fitting liners pretty much impossible and easily damages stuff. There must be better ways.
    • As I've mentioned before, a lot of my stuff like tent, sleeping bag, other things, pack to around 20cm width. That makes it a tight fit in an 8" case, would love to see 9" cases. Again ... :D
    • Lockable. But must close securely without locking. Meaning, vibrations won't open the lock.
    • Anodized or powder coated is a must for me.

Of course, that's all just me and other people will have different priorities.
  17. cug

cug Out riding ...

Oddometer:
  18. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    You'd have to trim it a bit around the frame mounted brackets that hold the bullets.
  19. cug

cug Out riding ...

Oddometer:
    Just trimming? So it will fit with some TLC? Great. So I can order one.
  20. Ramv

Ramv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Very intriqued by these, any pictures on a Multistrada?

Thanks

AJ