The 650 Dakar Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by underwaterguru, Mar 10, 2009.

1. Gravel Seeker

Gravel Seeker Old, growing older.

Oddometer:
    Dreary old Norway, dreaming of adventures past
    I'll take +45C any day over -1C.... snow is the devils ejaculate

This is the way the world ends - not with a bang

2. WayneC

WayneC Long timer

Oddometer:
    I hear you, that 45+ heat and red dust gets under your skin and you just want to go back for more
  3. kubiak

kubiak Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks mattomoto!
  4. Gravel Seeker

Oddometer:
    Red dust ? Whatever do you mean ? :lol3

Came around a corner on the Gibb River Road and was met by this site of my buddy Yngve... he got a flat on the front from a buried rock in this bulldust hole/ stretch

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  5. Gravel Seeker

Oddometer:
    What's the widest ROAD tire anyone's fitted to a 19" front ?
    Reckon a 150 will fit the rear ? I've run 140 Metz Sahara without any problems.
  6. Gravel Seeker

Oddometer:
    What size front did the Pegaso use, 19 or 21 ?
    Is it the same hub as ours ?
    (Looks very similar, but I thought I'd check if anyone knew for sure)
  7. WayneC

WayneC Long timer

Oddometer:
    Interesting question there re the Pegaso, I have looked at their front end recently and it seems to me the front spoked wheels are identical to the GS, there were two variations used 19 and 21" and axle is 17mm

The other interesting thing is it seems the early model upper yokes have a central mounted ignition switch/steering lock. The USD version will accept WP 4357 tubes as per what the F800/650X guys are doing (always get confused which of them)

Hoping to get some decent measurements off a Pegaso to confirm what I saw in pic's
  8. Gravel Seeker

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I'm looking to add a set of communting wheels that I'll lace with Michelin Pilot Road 3. Just got a F650GS 17" rear wheel delivered today and am looking for 19" fronts. When coming over a Pegaso front that also mentions the F650 I checked Pegaso rears (dumb as I am....) and they are under half price of BMW wheels....

[​IMG]
  9. Gravel Seeker

Oddometer:
  10. TobyG

TobyG SlothRacing.eu - Travel and Racing Products

Oddometer:
    IIRC, the Pegaso wheel are the same as the Funduro wheels, aren't they?

In this case, the front wheel will be usable (you can generally use the Funduro wheelset on the GS, but you need to modify the sprocket carrier on the rear, will the front wheel whould be a bolt on solution) without any hassle.

Again, Touratech springs to mind. They used Funduro Hubs for their Dakar bikes and on rare occasions even for customer bikes.
  11. Gravel Seeker

Oddometer:
    Looks like they use the same brake discs, so since the bolt holes are the same I'd guess the hubs are the same as well..... but I thought our bikes had 320mm front brakes
    From the eBay ad:
  12. WayneC

WayneC Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Pegaso front disc is 300 mm as per the GS, mounting holes etc are the same, bolt heads are recessed though
    Caliper is the same Brembo as the GS withe the same mount. I have an ebay pic showing the part No etc

The front forks you linked to should slide in but dependant on sub model they came from may be only 140 mm travel

On the rear it looks like there are variations between year models with the later Pegaso swapping sides for chain drive when they moved to the Yamaha engine. It looks like there are differences in the Cush Drive on the earlier Pegaso so it would mean a Sprocket holed and wheel change if it was possible. This looks a bit more iffy than the front
  13. GrizzLee

GrizzLee RubiKon Adventures

Oddometer:
    I removed the sidestand to clean it and grease the bushing. It felt tight like it was corroded, so I thought a little cleaning might help.

I am trying like heck to put it back on without success. There is washer in there and it is an extremely tight fit. I can't get it to go back on no matter what angle or approach I try.

Any tricks or advice? Do I dare try and widen it. It seems pretty loose already.

I may have to install without the washer and ride it to my local bmw dealer and have them do it. Or maybe while it is off, I should take it to a welder and have the side stand extended.
  14. WayneC

WayneC Long timer

Oddometer:
  15. Gravel Seeker

Oddometer:
  16. Gravel Seeker

Oddometer:
    Ok, thought some might benefit from another fork replacement option, but with travel that short it's not going to work.
    On the rear I've obtained a BMW wheel so that won't be an issue for me, but good info for others.
  17. WayneC

WayneC Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Trail Variant has conventional forks, later one's are 45 mm, piston rod and 175 mm travel. They look like a good replacement for GS owners rather than the Dakar. Could be fitted with intiminators to improve them. Hopefully getting some measurements off one to confirm
  18. GrizzLee

GrizzLee RubiKon Adventures

Oddometer:
    That was helpful.

Everything is back together. Those springs were tough.

Oh, and I installed a Hockey Puck on the bottom of the foot. The lean angle is a bit better. Still could use a longer sidestand.

Thanks.
  19. Gravel Seeker

Oddometer:
    I'm confused

Isn't the 19" GS and 21" Dakar identical except for the diameter of the rim and lenght of the spokes ?

When looking for brake pads I get very confusing hits...

Are the 19" and 21" brake discs/ rotors and pads the same ?
    Any variation between years ?

Ex
    19" Front 99-03
    21" Front 04-09

But then I come across these
    Front 93-08
    Another front 93-08
  20. WayneC

WayneC Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, Wheel all the same other than rims and spokes. Caliper, disk pad's same

I would not trust the info from fleabay sellers. Many simply specify the parts separately as per the BMW model but they are the same

EBC and here on Oz Metalgear are reliable on info. See details on disc below

http://metalgear.com.au/mgear-brake-disc-front-leftright-p-5776.html

On Metalgear they give you all the spec on mounting details etc and if a part is common to many makes/models it will be the same part No

Another good ploy (works even better on KTM Fiche) is to use the part search on realoem, it then tells you what models a part is fitted to. I use it to see if sensors etc are used on the cars. Turns up interesting things at times