The XL600 thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Gregster, Jul 6, 2007.

1. mcma111

mcma111 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Someone on here a week or so ago was looking for the decom cable from the kicker. I have one in very good condition.
  2. cynicwanderer

cynicwanderer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    that's pretty cool. are you sure it was a xl600r, I have been able to do it on most XR/XL including xr600r, except the xl600r. well, technically, it's possible to do it if you remove all the engine bolts and tilt the engine, while in the frame. in any case, it's a pain for a simple O-ring.
  3. kmequint

kmequint Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Go to page 3. Yes it would defiantly be a pain if you had to remove the engine for a simple o-ring.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/957360-1983-xl600r-cam-chain-tensioner/
  4. cam14

cam14 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    PM sent, thanks
  5. cynicwanderer

Oddometer:
    it just talks about replacing the camchain/tensioner/gear, I didn't see how you got the top end off with the engine in the frame. I'd really like to figure that out, since I have to replace a rocker box gasket on mine and have been putting it off. it's not like I haven't tried three or four times and given up in the past and then removed the engine. maybe there is a slight difference between a '83 and a '85 ?
  6. randylahee

randylahee Adventurer

Oddometer:
    just finished the rebuild on my 83

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  7. S.t.t.G.

S.t.t.G. Mind over metal...

Oddometer:
    Looking for factory exhaust for '93 XR600R...I have the head pipe, need rear section...want to quiet it down a bit.

Can use exhaust off of: '83-'87 XL600R, '83-'84 XR500R and '91-'00 XR600.
  8. WoldM

WoldM n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks alot! I hope I'll find a nice xl soon, the previous one I was looking to buy got taken right before my nose :(
  9. kmequint

kmequint Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You won't be able to remove the valve cover while the engine is still in the frame. What I was able to do was seperate the cover enough to gain access to the pin holding the auto adjuster shaft in place, By doing that you can pull the shaft out far enough to replace the o-ring.
  10. cynicwanderer

Oddometer:
    Ah, OK, that makes more sense. I'll have to try that the next time I need to change the O-ring. thanks.
  11. Licky

Licky Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well I got the forks mounted. I think I may have post that a while back. I have been collecting parts since then and it's been over two months since I got to ride. Since then I ordered a headlight with turn signals built in, a Tusk turn signal switch, a Vapor computer and choke knob conversion and some other little crap.

I took the compression release lever off as the fat bars didn't like the extra junk. I put on a late model clutch perch with a hot start lever on it and ran the decom cable to it. kinda hard to pull but it works. I put a choke knob on the carb and got rid of the entire choke pull system. I got my Tusk wired and just need to add connectors to the turn signals to finish up tomorrow.

My ignition switch was getting touchy and my dash lights and tail lights would go out intermitently so I put a differnt switch on. I don't have many photos to show so far but I'll try to put one in to show my cool little plate I made for switch and dummy lights to work with the Vapor.

I gotta go get a brake light switch tomorrow that goes in the banjo bolt of the front brake master since it is a CR500 mater now to match the rest of the front brakes.
    hmmm. cant see a button to add a pic.
  12. scrubby81

scrubby81 Auto Builder

Oddometer:
    1983 XL600r here love the bike but hard as heck to find parts for it I have been all over the net looking for things for it nobody seems to make parts for these anymore. No salvage yards seem to have them laying about either, so where yall getting your parts at? :ear
  13. Billtr96sn

Billtr96sn Flange Furtler

Oddometer:
    Parts are here in the UK and Europe, and at good prices as well.
  14. jon2xc

jon2xc n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi Guys, have just picked up an XL600 RMG (1986) and trying to get 'er roadworthy and registered. Have managed to track down the easy bits and pieces, including a new seat cover, but can't find a replacement tail light lens or speedo assembly.
    Anybody know where I might be able to pick these up? Also has an engine knock which sounds like the cam chain and tensioner needs replacing. Starts great, runs like a train, can't wait to get the old girl up to spec. Any tips?
  15. BRPtourer

BRPtourer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Scrubby....
    I get most of my stuff off ebay or from Bike Bandit online unless it is generic bike parts like filters, mirrors, lights, etc, those I get from my local bike shop.
  16. scrubby81

scrubby81 Auto Builder

Oddometer:
    My local bike shop don't like me lol they never have it or can't get it is always there words they just don't want to look I think. I did get somthing sent from the UK to me last week needed the ignition switch found it on E-bay there haven't got it yet tho... Not realy a E-bay user tho I been screwed alot on there looked in bikebandit web site not much there I am looking for Racks bags and aftermarket stuff like that. thanks for the link tho I am looking in to it now
  17. Billtr96sn

Oddometer:
    Scrubby, If you need anything from the UK, I am happy to get it for you and forward it on, that applies to all of you.
  18. XLElder

XLElder n00b

Oddometer:
    Its great to find a thread like this and still active! Hail to the mighty XL600R!!!

Hello fellow riders from smoky New Mexico. I say that because we're dealing with the largest wildfire in state history right now. Some great and pristine land is scorched and won't recover in my lifetime. Saddens me but it was started by lightning so its natural I guess.

I have an '84 I bought used in '85. I rebuilt the motor immediately because the airbox leaked and the previous owner rode in sand. I think the guy had to go .040 over to get all the scratches out of the bore. Anyway the bike got rode for a few years and then things changed and I quit riding. But I kept her and took her with me wherever I moved. Over half the time she was stored in a garage or shed so she still looks decent. I started her up now and then. Now over 20 years and 60+ lbs. :D later I am starting a riding renaissance at age 53. I used to ride nearly every day in my youth.

I went over the bike and replaced what was necessary. Wheel bearings, fork seals, chain and sprocket, rebuilt the carbs. She's running like a top. If she sits a long time I get smoke at startup and I gather the valve seals are shot. But I'm not pulling the motor just for that. The only mod is a Super Trapp pipe. I wrapped the header tubes also. All else is stock except the gearing is 15/45 and I plan to go to 14/45 since I'm doing forest roads mostly. Oh and I installed a switch so I can turn the headlight off. Now I'm thinking of an oil cooler and the Progressive Suspension coils. Any opinions on those?

Sorry about being so long-winded but I am pretty excited about getting back into something I consider a way of life. The main question is I recently replaced the stator with a Ricky and did an Iridium sparkplug. What a difference! But now I notice the headlight pulses and dims at idle. Not sure if it did this before. I'm wondering if a rectifier or regulator is bad or if this is normal. Any insight? Thanks
  19. scrubby81

scrubby81 Auto Builder

Oddometer:
    I might just do that if you happen across a rear rack or bag mounts for an 83 let me know. Also in responce to head light pulsing I'm not realy sure if its normal but I did up grade my head light also to an HID with different case for it much brighter but it does pulse at idle, mine been doing it for over a year with no problems. I am also looking for a disk brake converson for the rear of my bike any ideas on this one?:D
  20. Billtr96sn

Oddometer:
    Re the oil cooler. I dont think it is needed. I have a chair on the side of mine and ride it in traffic and it has never showed any signs of overheating.