2013 Dakar Ride Along - with Rally Management Services and Team Redverz Dakar!

Discussion in 'Racing' started by DaveRMS, Oct 9, 2012.

1. DaveRMS

DaveRMS 404 Not Found

Oddometer:
    Hey Rally Fans!

We have two seats left in our Ford F350 assistance truck headed to the 2013 Dakar. This truck has been run by Rally PanAm since 2006, usually supporting Jonah Street and some North American privateers. This year, we're support Kevin Muggleton from Team Redverz Dakar. Rally vets Dave Peckham (GSNorCal) and Phil Bowman (BicyclePhil) are running the show. We have 4 seats in the truck. And this year, we actually have 2 seats available for "tourists", someone with no specific team duties.

[​IMG]

Ted Johnson came with the team last year and wrote the fantastic book, Tales From The Bivouac. Now it's your turn to see the Dakar from within. This opportunity is ideal for rally fans, journalists, media professionals, authors, and adventure travelers.

[​IMG]

If you'd like to join us, please call me right away as the crew entry deadline is rapidly approaching (+1 415-272-4583). I'd like confirmation by October 15. The Dakar isn't cheap. The package is $22,000, which includes ASO entry fee and your share of the truck and bivouac setup. Flights, incidentals, and private accommodations before/after are not included. Every person who has ridden in this seat before has said that it was the trip of a lifetime and worth every penny. You'll be part of one of the most fun, well run, and longest running North American teams on the rally. You have access to all the bivouacs and restricted areas. You eat with the teams. You sleep in a team tent. You get up early and drive like mad across South America for most of the day. You'll need to be in Lima by January 1. If you'd like to help, we're happy to give you small tasks, including driving the truck, and we'll appreciate the work. But, if you want to just wander around and take photos, that is perfectly OK.

We're not selling anything here, just asking for you to pay your entry fee and share of expenses. We find that the "tourists" in the truck usually round out the team very well.

Dave
  2. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    I'll vouch that it is indeed a trip of a lifetime :freaky

The price sounds expensive but in reality, for me, it meant driving an older car for 5 years as opposed to getting a new car to commute to work. Every time I see the rust on my car parked beside my co workers fancy new vechicles I smile :nod

Best of luck Kevin, team F5 will be cheering you on from behind our keyboards :pynd
  3. beechum1

beechum1 Dandole Gas al Burro

Oddometer:
    How much to equip the tourists with Sat Data?
  4. DaveRMS

DaveRMS 404 Not Found

Oddometer:
    Not sure. Iridium would work, but I think it's spendy. Good cell service along lots of the route (well, in past anyway).

Dave
  5. LKN4DRT

LKN4DRT Relocated

Oddometer:
    I would hardly call a seat with your team as "tourist". What a great way to be a part of the Dakar. Sorry I cant be there to help....next year?
  6. woodzrider

woodzrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    WOW! What an opportunity! Wish I had 22K laying around-I would jump on this, But....the first 10k i get buys me a new motosickle...........
  7. RenoMoto

RenoMoto Rally Navigator Supporter

Oddometer:
    Inmates:

"Tourist" sounds like a passive ride-along snapping pics. The Dakar adventure with Rally Management Services is a whole lot more than that.

I joined the team in 2010 to drive Jonahs support truck and will never forget it. You will be with the team every step of the way, from pre-race set up, scrutineering, every kilometer and every bivouac along the way. 24 hours a day.

Driving over the Andes mountains and across the Atacama Desert along with the race and support vehicles is worth the price of admission all by itself.

Full Gallery Here

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Its an unforgettable adventure.

Really, how many other world class events can you be so closely involved in?
  8. DaveRMS

DaveRMS 404 Not Found

Oddometer:
    Thanks Mike!

Yea, "tourist" is probably the wrong word. The team welcomes whatever help our "guest crew" can offer. That's sometimes driving the truck when we are tired. It's sometimes grabbing some coffee. Other times it's just free time to roam the bivouac and take some of the best photos imaginable.

It's really up to you what you make of the trip. Totally relaxed, or really digging in.

Cheers,
    Dave
  9. DirtRider....

DirtRider.... Wandering Turtle

Oddometer:
    this would be truly amazing to tag along but like others have said... $22kish can be used for other things... one day i may have extra $$ like that laying around to cross this off my bucket list... i'm waaaay past ever being a racer but wow how much fun it would be to be part of the support team and experience Dakar with an experienced crew!
  10. DaveRMS

DaveRMS 404 Not Found

Oddometer:
    For what it's worth, we also have room for another rider, with or without his own mechanic.

Dave
  11. airborndad

airborndad Long timer

Oddometer:
    Really wish I could afford to do it
    gonna buy some extra lottery tickets ASAP

they said I may already be a winner of the Publishers Clearing House Sweepstake but for some reason Im just not gonna start believing that until the balloons and giant check show up on my doorstep

did I read that right ? you only have 1 rider your covering?

Have a great time Dave and Phil
    looking forward to following it again

Cheers:freaky
  12. aussie_king_mick

aussie_king_mick Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Rally Management Services “Ride Along” concept sounds good…maybe next year 2014.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    However, I would need to start saving now and would need advice earlier than October 2013.<o:p></o:p>
  13. DaveRMS

DaveRMS 404 Not Found

Oddometer:
    Thanks everyone for the interest. Yes, our 2013 plans came together much later than desired this year.

Cheers,
    Dave
  14. Dread Pendragon

Dread Pendragon Tragic Donkey Throttler

Oddometer:
    I know this Italian kid, Manuel, who might want the seat. You'll need to lend him a bike too, though.
  15. LadyX

LadyX n00b

Oddometer:
  16. Curvesurfer

Curvesurfer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Missed planning for this this year, maybe next...
  17. Stagehand

Stagehand Imperfectionist

Oddometer:
    :freaky

Wish.