The F5 Bivouac (rallye raid news) and W2RC - World cross country rally championship

Discussion in 'Racing' started by PackMule, Dec 23, 2009.

1. Gian

Gian dreamer

Oddometer:
    I'm just seeing Botturi liste at the Italian Baja with a Yamaha:evil
    http://www.italianbaja.com/ing/index.asp

Also Zanotti and moreover Peterhansel and Andrea Mayer listed too:clap
  2. ferals5

ferals5 Grumpa

Oddometer:
    what an interesting day, I hope CdP stays on two wheels:lurk
  3. doyle

doyle RallyRaidReview-ing

Oddometer:
    I thought the same thing. The Cyril mention in the KTM press release was not nearly as conciliatory as the one from Cyril thanking all the KTM people.
  4. Luna Negra

Luna Negra Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was hoping this was not the case.:norton
  5. doyle

Oddometer:
    According to Quinn, his contract is through 2014 but Speedbrain does explicitly state that only Joan Barreda and Paulo Goncalves (as his watercarrier) will be at Abu Dhabi.
  6. Brodovitch

Brodovitch Team ⌘R

Oddometer:
    Didn't Barreda just bail from the SpeedBrain team?
  7. Mad Cow

Mad Cow Dakar Addict!

Oddometer:
  8. doyle

Oddometer:
    No. Speedbrain is now completely separated from Husqvarna and BMW and as a standalone team, will homologate and sell the bike they currently run. Barreda and Goncalves stay with Speedbrain. They both have contracts through 2014 as does Quinn Cody. Essentially, Speedbrain becomes what Bordone-Ferrari was attempting to become, a stand alone team running a self built bike. They will continue with Husqvarna motors for the near future. The bike is likely to be rebranded as a Speedbrain 450RR.

I hear rumblings of talks between Speedbrain and "a manufacturer" for a future link up, but the rumors are young and I haven't heard a peep as to who that manufacturer may be.
  9. doyle

Oddometer:
    Red Bull pulled most of that from the press release on Despres' own site but they didn't include Despres' last paragraph which reads:

The left that out but then added their own speculation about Despres joining Honda. That is a very odd entry from Red Bull.
  10. Mad Cow

Mad Cow Dakar Addict!

Oddometer:
    Doyle

I agree, very strange...

Maybe it means "negotiations with Honda and Cyril are still to be concluded?"
  11. Mad Cow

Mad Cow Dakar Addict!

Oddometer:
    On the Speedbrain situation, they may still have access to the 450 Husky/Bmw motor for a while yet.

I learnt this Sunday that when BMW commissioned the 450 motor (built by Kymco in Taiwan), they ordered 2500 units.

Needless to say there's still a lot of them left in Kymco's warehouse!

CCM here in the UK have just taken a number off their hands for their new 450 adventure and this is how I got the news.

Sitting on the start line of the Brechfa Rally in Wales this weekend, I got chatting to a fellow competitor who it turned out is doing the PR work for CCM for the new bike (his day job) and he explained about the surplus after we got talking about CCM's (my race bike).
  12. doyle

Oddometer:
    Good stuff. I love this kind of behind the scene's information.
  13. Patrol

Patrol VALE 46!

Oddometer:
    Thanks for bumping me over here Flood. Didn't see this thread when I got the Despres news early this am. So who will Despres dominate Dakar for now? Lol.
    My money is on Honda. Despres/Red Bull may have outgrown KTM. From a marketing standpoint, Despres/Honda/Red Bull is a commercial monster. If Honda decided they wanted him they have resources to could make him an offer he couldn't refuse, financially and race support.

Or...he dropped several hints over the past year about eventually moving to four wheels...
  14. Desert Matt

Desert Matt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here's one from left field.

The word Kawasaki was bandied about before with regard to Cyril, but what if it was linked with Speedbrain?

Speedbrain, powered by Monster and Kawasaki. Just like the AMA MX bikes......

Green monster bikes. Energy drink wars really take off......
  15. Arzach

Arzach never too old...

Oddometer:
    On some of the French press , they seem to favor a run on four wheels if he is to stay with Red Bull .It seems that He is going to test a buggy with Al Attiyah ?
  16. dashmoto

dashmoto Serial Tinkerer

Oddometer:
    More like "the certification ensures that the company is capable of digging out some stuff that looks a bit like documentation on the one morning a year the auditor turns up". :rofl
  17. Mad Cow

Mad Cow Dakar Addict!

Oddometer:
    Or ISO 9000 can mean....

Our product is shite but it is at least consistently shite to the same bad standard every time and the shittyness is properly documented :D

Hey Dash, we missed you on Sunday!
  18. Patrol

Patrol VALE 46!

Oddometer:
    Cyril, KTM, and Red Bull all confirm Cyril and Red Bull are remaining together. Red Bull only partners with athletes/companies with greatest odds of winning, whatever the sport. I wonder if that's the best evidence of a switch to four wheels? KTM is easily the best bet to keep winning Dakar. Whether you feel they're the best bikes, best racing program, the whole thing is skewed in their favour, whatever. It is unlikely that Red Bull would team with anyone other than KTM. They spend buckets of money in the other Dakar classes. Cyril is close with Peterhansel, etc, lots of options to mentor him as a driver. I think I'm putting my money on four wheels.
  19. rmhrc628

rmhrc628 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I really hope he's not going to Honda. I want roddy and pizzo to be the guys that start and finish bringing Honda up to the top again
  20. dashmoto

dashmoto Serial Tinkerer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, gutted not to be there, but there's bigger fish to fry this year (and the bike's still not back together).