Making of the "Oklahoma Adventure Trail"

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Central, Texas & Gulf States' started by OKlr, Oct 25, 2012.

1. airdale7

airdale7 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  2. airdale7

Oddometer:
    Ok, someone has to tell me how to share these kmz file. I have it on the desktop and tried to copy and past here but no go!
  3. kiltedcrawford

kiltedcrawford Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice report Dale. We enjoyed the Workman's Mt. area, but didn't see any bear sign.
    I'd like to go back and spend some more time riding around there. Lots of good stuff, I think.
  4. cropear

cropear Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice report. That SPOT at that intersection is kind of a gnarly. I remember really getting into the bike and enjoying the dirt and turns leading up to that. And before you know it you are at a 4 way intersection but the way the driveway or private road is around there you think is this a 5 way intersection. Almost disorienting to me that day. Since Kilted was running the navigation. I had to wait and get the finger which way to go. I really like workmans mountain area. Finding a good transition from there without having to head into Arkansas would be great.
  5. airdale7

Oddometer:
    Thanks. That stretch to the north of the intersection was great. And the bear poop discovery sealed the deal. Im getting better with this Motionx GPS and want to ride the same route you took before suggesting a reroute. Oklr seems to favor water crossings and there are several in Adair and Cherokee counties. The most significant is probably the Illinois River low water crossing. It'a maybe 15 miles north of where you two took the pics at Combs Bridge.

In this pic mdawg12, LBStrom, and Albie and I cross it on Last Ride of the Year 2012
    from there to Combs Bridge is an awesome ride.

[​IMG]
  6. kiltedcrawford

Oddometer:
    Good pic, makes me really want to go back and ride it.
    As a lifelong SW Oklahoma resident I can't believe I said that, but we had a lot of fun out there. In my case, especially since I was navigating, I was concentrating on the "trees" and really didn't get to appreciate the "forest". I missed a lot of stuff not directly in my path and would like to go back and enjoy it more.

I've checked out your blog, too, Dale, which hasn't helped my new desire to revisit eastern OK. Good stuff.
  7. OKlr

OKlr 25mph gate inpector

Oddometer:
    when you are making a post on here about half way down it says attach file. a small box will pop up and allow you to upload your file to your post.
  8. airdale7

Oddometer:
    The file is a Kmz...cant be attached. Is there a way to convert it to a gpx file?
  9. Shawnee Bill

Shawnee Bill Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Google is your friend. KMZ is a zipped KML or what Google earth uses.

First find was this:
    http://www.ehow.com/how_7358927_convert-kmz-file-gpx.html

I haven't tried it but give it a try, see what happens.

10. airdale7

Oddometer:
    Ok, if this track file works let me know plz. There is more to explain but first to see the track. :wink:

Attached Files:

11. Shawnee Bill

Oddometer:
    BaseCamp loads and displays it fine. I haven't tried but it should download to GPS no problem.

I-40 - Hwy 10 - Hwy 64 to Gore - then north on 100?

12. airdale7

Oddometer:
    Thanks Bill
  13. airdale7

Oddometer:
    63 degrees tomorrow. Anyone want to ride the trail let me know, think I can get the day off! :ricky :ricky
  14. cropear

cropear Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was able to load the GPX and used GPSBabel to convert it to KML. Loaded it in Google Earth and saw your route relative to aerial photography.
  15. airdale7

Oddometer:
    Ok, thanks guys. This keeps getting more complex but more practice will help.

This is the track for the ride I posted on twowheelsthreeamericas.

North of Elohim City a few miles is a 4 way intersection (all gravel). I started north from that intersection and within a hundred yards found the scat in the road. The next few miles was such a scenic backwood road it just ended too quik. However, considering starting at Highway 101 and then to follow the road north thru Elohim, Bear Scat, and Workmans Mountain adds up to a good 30 minute gravel and dirt road stretch. There is a few nice places to stop for a break in the wildlife refuge.
    I turned west before entering Arkansas and the roads alternated between gravel and paved over to Highway 59. Most of this stretch is what I call Ford truck farms. Most of the residents have 10 or twenty acres, a couple cows, some chickens, too many dogs and a Ford truck. A conversation with the local forrest ranger revealed that even though this area is known for being 'a little rough' he thinks "it's not that bad".
    Turned south on 59 for about 2 miles and cut thru the industrial park and then to Dahlonegah Park. The industrial park has a herd of goats roaming free but the bike sound sent them running.
    From D. Park (abbriviated because i'm not sure I could spell that name correctly a second time) it's mostly gravel and there is a low water bridge and a lake. Both have areas available to pull over and take a break and even fishing. Then up to Highway 100 and west about a mile to Doug Sehls Motorcycle repair Shop. I liked this guy because he made me feel so welcome. Charged my batteries and looked over his bikes and trophies. He is building a 'bikers only' camping area around the lake behind his repair shop.

Tomorrow were starting at Dougs and making the link to the bridge where Kilted and Cropear took photos, then north to the low water crossing of the Illinois River....

Ride Safe....:ricky...with a helmet
    coosabarr likes this.
  16. airdale7

Oddometer:
    Forgot...here is the track.

Attached Files:

17. airdale7

Oddometer:
    I just arrived at Natural Falls State Park and WOW, what a ride. Bluffs, creeks, the river, Bald Eagles locals on horseback, deer, a coyote, water crossings, miles and miles of the most scenic backroads a man could ask for.

Also notable is the friendly staff here at the park. They have WIFI and she set up a table and chair for my use.:cob
  18. kiltedcrawford

Oddometer:
    You've picked some good weather to get out there. Enjoy!
  19. Shawnee Bill

Oddometer:

airdale, for some reason the track is incomplete, it stops a little ways west of the airport, a little south of the train tracks.

I can follow your RR and guess where you went from there.

This is all there is:

http://goo.gl/maps/tayFK

I need to get over there and ride some.

20. airdale7

Oddometer:
    Ok, maybe this will be the complete track.

Attached Files: