F800gs...Touring screens? you got one ? Lets us see um!

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by HighTechCoonass, Nov 13, 2008.

1. 3Rrr

3Rrr Read Ride Reflect recycle

Oddometer:
    I received my Mirage 2 in less than a week from ordering. The customer service was excellent. Ian from Britannia Composites told me they are working on an enhanced screen for the combination that will provide even better coverage. So, you may want to contact him prior to ordering and wait it out.

My bike is still in the shop so I have yet to do a road test. Will post as soon as I have had some seat time.

Kyle
    PurpleTiger likes this.
  2. Dieselpwr

Dieselpwr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So how do you like it? Any buffeting? How tall are you?
  3. FreeTheBeast

FreeTheBeast no road left untaken Supporter

Oddometer:
    It was 18°F on Sunday. It is snowing today. Wednesday looks like it might be about 50. If it is, I'll give it a try.

Based on two previous bikes with Cee Bailey's windscreens, the top of this one looks to be right. This is the 18" size. I'm about 5'10". I'll post once I've given it a try.

:deal
  4. cuonawv

cuonawv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had some extra Plexi laying around, a heat gun and some time to kill.. Works GREAT... No buffeting, crazy wind noise or loss of visibility.

I initially used some crazy strong double sided tape to simply hold it in place while I planned to drill two holes in order to fasten everything together (keeping the tape in there as a cushion / dampener).

I goofed on the initial placement and tried to remove the top piece, only to find I couldn't.. I had to cut out the tape with dental floss. It's been holding like a champ for 5 months (at highway speeds). I constantly check on it, but has given me no signs of failure.. My luck, it won't show any signs until it snaps off and decapitates me on 101 S..
    :norton
    (I suppose that may freak out a few cagers):evil

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  5. FreeTheBeast

FreeTheBeast no road left untaken Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Finally a nice day to take a ride with the new 18" Cee Bailey's windscreen. It's really good. The size is perfect for me - I am five foot ten. The wind flows just over my helmet visor (Arai XD). The windscreen does a really nice job protecting from the headwind to the chest. There was no direct wind on my body. I had good visibility over the top. Two thumbs up.
  6. Dieselpwr

Oddometer:
    Nice. I might try the 16" version. I'm 5'6 with a low seat.
  7. MAJTHUMPER

MAJTHUMPER NW adventure rider

Oddometer:
    I'm 6' w/ 34" inseam. Have the higher version of seat concept ( love it!) mounted in place of the stock seat. I went with madstad after trying 2 others that didn't work for my setup so well. I have bark busters on and they are hard to clear at full lock. The madstad clears them fine and I can adjust it (or take the shield part off completely) to fit the riding conditions. So easy to adjust the angle and height that you can trailer it to you specifically. I ride hard and fast off road and the flexible mounts allow it to wiggle but its alway stable if that makes sense. On dual sport days I just take it off as most of the ride isn't on high speed black top. The other bonus is the lower mount stays fix AND it a good place to put all my stickers from my sponsors... Ok I don't really have any sponsors. But I do have stickers and those are good for at least 5 extra horse power... Right?!
  8. JRWooden

JRWooden never attribute to malice...

Oddometer:
    If the stickers are numerous and layered I hear maybe up to 7HP.... :lol3

Which height of screen did you order?
  9. MAJTHUMPER

MAJTHUMPER NW adventure rider

Oddometer:
    I think it is 18"?? It may be the next higher. After riding with it for a year, I think I could/would go with a slightly shorter version. You can lift it plenty high but in the summer heat I lower it to the point that the bottom edge is just above my headlight guard. no biggy but I could get away with a shorter one.

Not worth buy another until I crash and break this one. Been down 2x with it on and no damage at all. the crash bars and my intakes... not that lucky. ha:huh
  10. longwayaround

longwayaround Female Adventurer

Oddometer:
    She's only a little 650, but can she play? here she is the day we met, if you squint really hard or drink a little she may resemble an 800. but +1 for quality and price on the cee bailey screen.
    [​IMG]
  11. Dieselpwr

Oddometer:
    What size is that Cee bailey?
  12. JRWooden

Oddometer:
    Thanks .... currently Madstad sells 18" and 20" ...
    I think they would have recommended the 20" for you but ... maybe not....
    I'm 6' 1" w/ 32" inseam and my seat is about an 1" thicker than stock (F650GS)
    I"m contemplating purchase for big summer trip I've got planned.............
  13. longwayaround

longwayaround Female Adventurer

Oddometer:

Its an 18'tall by 14'wide "Euro" winshield by cee bailey's. universal for both the 650 and 800 twins up to 2013. I guess they have a 16'inch as well, but i'm 5'9 and the bigger one is perfect for my ride height. i would buy this guy again should something happen to this one...
  14. TFB43

TFB43 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Still working on getting the right angle. Factory handgards hit on full right lock. but so far so good.
  15. JakeOfAllTrades

JakeOfAllTrades n00b

Oddometer:
    Eagerly awaiting your feedback, I'm very close to ordering one!
  16. 3Rrr

3Rrr Read Ride Reflect recycle

Oddometer:
    Do it. You will not be sorry.

After a few days of various riding environments I have found the Mirage2 to be very effective. It offered great protection from the elements while driving through 25'F in my non-insulated gear with just a t-shirt on. Quiet ride with little to no buffeting going 80 Mph on the Interstate. They redesigned the windscreen part of the combo which I have not installed yet. I am 6'3", 35" inseam. I use a standard seat with an Airhawk2 so I am raised up slightly. I did notice that if I slouched a bit it was even quieter. All that said, I put the visor up on my helmet w/o sunglasses and my eyes were not the least bit "teary".

Also used my dual-sport helmet with the visor and it too performed well with the Mirage. While off-road I dropped the screen to the bottom position. This gave me lots of air on the body - much needed for some of our warmer temps, and intense rides.

Also, the benefit of having a mount for the GPS at the top of the instrument cluster will be great. Just need to figure out how I want to mount it so that I can tilt it up at the bottom of the GPS for the stand-up riding.

Ian from Britannia has exceptional customer service. Took about 3 days to get it to my door in AZ from British Columbia, Canada. Not bad, eh?:clap
  17. machinebuilder

machinebuilder Long timer

Oddometer:
    After much searching and internet research, and trying the Aeroflow bugscreen, I came to the Madstad.

While I liked the Bugscreen, I found out for touring it's not a good solution. When I spent 3 days riding in 45-50degree rainy weather, with my better cold weather kit at home. the wind on my chest was Extremely uncomfortable.

So I started searching again.

The Touratech Deserto 3 looks to be posssibly the best solution, the only complaint I found is the price. $800 scares me away.

The Britania Composites seems to work for most people, but there are some that are my size it doesn't work for, $500.

I would really like to try a Parabellum, but they don't work with hand gaurds. mine takes far too many naps for that. I have friends with them on other bikes that love them.

So I came to the Madstad, there isn't much on the internet about them, almost nothing here on ADV, but I read through the thread on F800riders, and they seem to work well.

I called on a thursday, made sure I was getting the reccomended height screen, and had it on Monday.

I've been a bit busy all week so I got it on the bike (read directions) and took a quick afternoon ride yesterday.

My impressions.

I stopped about 6-7 times playing with up/down, in/out adjustments and ended with it about 1/2 up and all the way back.
    the air flow is fairly well defined (hand held up to feel it) and I have it hitting about the top of my visor (schuberth c3).
    If I lower it I get a drumming noise, if I raise it I don't get any air in the vents, further out the drumming is worse.
    the helmet noise is low enough (sort of a flag in the wind type noise) I can hear the engine sound at 70mph.
    There is almost no wind pressure on my chest.

I do notice some shaking in the screen, but it is coming all the way from the metal bugscreen and the rubber well nuts in the BMW bracket.
    It's not much different than the pee cup bobble.

For pictures look back a couple posts, it looks almost like TFB43's, I have different hand gaurds, and my right barely touches at full lock also.

For $300, It seems to work and I can take it off quickly for the summer.
  18. JRWooden

Oddometer:
    Thanks MB!

What size are you roughly? :wink:
  19. machinebuilder

machinebuilder Long timer

Oddometer:
    6'0" 32" inseam, 215lbs
  20. JakeOfAllTrades

JakeOfAllTrades n00b

Oddometer:
    Could you clarify what you mean by that? 3Rrr wrote above that he is 6'3" and the Mirage 2 is perfect for his size. Thanks!