ER-6 n or f for long distance touring?

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by michelsavage, Feb 11, 2013.

1. kawi_girl

kawi_girl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well I can't resist chiming in here, I love my 650r and think that for me it's a great touring machine. Comfortable, economical and reliable. Biggest trip was over 7000km, and I've done 4 big trips and many weekend trips as well. If you like the ergonomics of the bike then throw on some cases and you're good to go. There are many bikes out there that you can tour with (well, technically, just about anything goes. I don't think that touring is only for a certain class of bike.) For myself, I just think that the power is enough, the weight is right (as in, not too heavy!) and who can say no to that Kawi green? ( well, okay, not everyone is going to agree on that point)

I use Givi hard cases (sides and top case) plus a tank bag, and sometimes a wolfman duffle on the passenger seat. Still handles great with all that stuff.

I could ride forever. Well, except for fill ups I guess, which you can comfortably do every 250km. And that doesn't matter if you've been putzing through construction or flying along the super slab at 130km/h+:D
  2. Bongolia

Bongolia stop acting

Oddometer:
    Thanks GB.

Been looking at the Givi 55 top case and the 35 panniers, silly prices in the UK so will see if I can source them here.
  3. Bongolia

Bongolia stop acting

Oddometer:
    Found a Givi dealer in Kowloon, looks like I can order the V35 panniers and a fair bit cheaper than the UK. GB can you get a helmet in the V35?
  4. Grainbelt

Grainbelt marginal adventurer

Oddometer:
    Depends on the helmet. My Nolan N102 wouldn't fit, but it is a modular with a really big shell for a size M. I haven't tried with my newer N90. I've heard many people claim they can fit a full face, but they either know some magic trick as to how to fit it properly or have a helmet that is a bit smaller than the modular ones I wear.
  5. Tom-Nor

Tom-Nor Wannabe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I cant get my shoei XR1100 inside.
  6. erda

erda Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Fully loaded, kawi_girl has no troubles keeping up to my Bandit. Not that kind of loaded:lol3, loaded for touring!

ER6f aka Ninja 650r is a really good choice. I think one advantage over the 'n' is that you get a bit extra protection from wind/weather.
  7. Bongolia

Bongolia stop acting

Oddometer:
    I'd agree. The ER6-N is more an urban or short haul bike. Loads of fun though.
  8. Cortez

Cortez BAZINGA!

Oddometer:
    I didn't like the protection for the upper body on my ER6F/Ninja, changed
    the windscreen, it got better but still very "loud". Wish I had the naked.

The seat on the 06-08 isn't all that good, but I could do as much as the
    tank would last, and after a stretch it was good again (I used to wear
    cycling shorts, that helped a lot).

I would imagine the 650GS has a better seat then the ER6 I'm afraid.
  9. Cortez

Cortez BAZINGA!

Oddometer:
    The ER6n/F (or 650R) are nothing like that.

Forward lean of only 14° per bike ergo site, which is virtually nothing.