Yamaha WR250R Mega Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Sock Monkey, Apr 7, 2008.

1. viper770

viper770 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    mine did not come with instuctions either it just bolts on thats it everything lines up perfectly if you have the two stock little white plastic guards on the side you take them off but other than that dont really need instructions after you put the plate on the vibrations will make it kinda noise but its not to worry about but im very happy with mine when you start going down a dirt road and you hear a rock slam into it you will smile cause its better to hit the plate then some part of your motor and beside it makes the wr look alot meaner :evil
  2. viper770

viper770 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    far as noise i have my ipod cranked up so i cant hear much but kick ass music when im on my wr :rofl
  3. Dahveed

Dahveed Sumo Biker!

Oddometer:
    Might want to spray it with some sort of rubber coating to reduce noise. Some people here use rubber washers between the plate and the frame to reduce vibration noise. But otherwise, its as straight forward as it can be. Blue locktite might not be a bad idea either.

I'd either open the beer later or drink the beer sooner. Maybe a sip (guzzle?) after every bolt. YMMV :slurp
  4. TwilightZone

TwilightZone Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    >"I haven't really looked at the plate or the bike I just noticed it didn't come with any paper work... I take it by your response it's pretty straight forward."

Buy a shorter bolt and put in the right side - aft hole. The stock length bolt in that hole touches the aluminum crank case.
    IMHO: Likely something you don't want to happen.

I coated mine with plastic paint. No difference.
    Rubber grommits under the bolts. No difference.
    Lined the plate with some plastic strips from Harbor Freight. No difference.
    Finally ended up ty-wrapping some strips cut from inner tubes to the frame under the skidplate. Well, a little difference.

After awhile you just get used to the noise.
  5. Jimster

Jimster Big Jim

Oddometer:
    I picked up my WR with a FMF PowerCore 4 already on it. I agree with others that it is too loud. I found that there are TWO Different Quiet Cores. The first one is the 1 3/8" (Bike Bandit #39593) and it did not seem to make the bike any quieter. The second one is a 1 1/8" (Bike Bandit #2897419) and that one made it quiet enough that I can live with it.:ear
    Because it has a narrower opening it is much harder to install.

Quiet Core 1 (Internal Spark Arrester)
    [​IMG]

Quiet Core 2
    [​IMG]

Quiet Core 2 next to stock
    [​IMG]

Good thread with pics

http://wr250rforum.forumotion.com/t7580-fmf-quiet-core-insert-holes-not-aligned

I did not notice an alignment problem like Mr_Rotor, but getting my fingers around the screw to get the thread started was a bear.
  6. Whec716

Whec716 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    no instructions needed. it's seriously 4 bolts and when you line it up, it's obvious what to do.
  7. aj_day

aj_day Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Reduced the preload to minimum on the shock (8.5in) and adjusted from there. Also adjusted the rebound and compression to full soft according to the manual. Still challenging for her to get on the bike, but once her weight is on it she can just touch her toes. I noticed that the front end feels much stiffer than the rear now. Next I will investigate softer fork springs. My wife suggested that she could also gain 30lbs to solve the problem...

She can also shop for some thick soled boots.

I am hell bent on the WR250 for her. We looked at a CRF230L, but she has a decent amount of experience riding street bikes, and is used to bikes that are much more capable. I think she would have been bored with it quickly.
  8. ManLee

ManLee Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Finally got the pic thing figured out thanks to Smug Mug so here's a report on what I've done to my WR since i picked it up last August.

Dealer Pickup
    [​IMG]

After a quick motoman style breakin and an oil change I take her for ride to pyramid pass near Greenwater WA.
    [​IMG]

Wolfman bags, racks, tankbag, GPS and Klim Jacket. Guess that makes me and adventure rider. Might as well go somewhere. Loaded up for a trip to Ellensburg WA via Naches Pass and Manashash Ridge with the return on the Umptanum portion of the WABDR.
    [​IMG]

Winter projects. First up hand warmers, gps, heated jacket, and cig lighter all wired to a relay and terminal block. Removed all the flapper gizmos to make room.
    [​IMG]

Cycra Handguards, hot grips , Montana 600 GPS and a charge port for my phone etc. The spot is the version that you use with your phone. Its a real POS. Wish I got the basic one with tracking. Maybe I'm just too dumb to figure it out.
    [​IMG]

Richochet Skid Plate and Flatland Racing rad guard. Already removed the skidplate. I couldn't stand the noise even though I sprayed it with sound deadening undercoating. I might get the plastic one from moose.
    [​IMG]

IMS 3 Gallon Tank.
    [​IMG]

Decide to make a set of liners for the wolfman bags. Got the idea from Big Dog's website. If you're interested in makeing a set go to his site and he's got the the model # and all the deminsions you need. I found it easiest to make cuts witha set of tin snips then I melted the edges smooth with a torch.
    [​IMG]

Not sure yet how useful the bag liners are but they do make it easier to hang the bags unloaded and it makes them look nice and full for photo opps.
    [​IMG]

Thought I'd do the same for the tail bag. Cut the bottom out of a rubbermaid tub and slit the sides so it will fold in a bit. Fits with room to spare on this medium bag. It might fit the small as well. This should keep any sharp objects from wearing a hole in the bottom of the bag. I might cut it down little shorter.
    [​IMG]

RK Chain, supersprox, sandman cover and rotopax installed.
    [​IMG]

All loaded and ready to go.
    [​IMG]

That pretty much somes up the last 8 months or so. Thanks to all who have posted here for all the ideas and inspiration. This is my first post here so let me know what I did wrong.
    oldairhd likes this.
  9. NikkiC

NikkiC n00b

Oddometer:
    Here's what I found on lowering the WR, I'm looking at the same thing and my hubby thought I was nuts but I've been doing my research! I WILL have one soon! :D

http://plushpuppymx.blogspot.com/2010/02/yamalink-review.html

The "shortypants" thread also has lots of good info too.
  10. rsteiger

rsteiger Bob Supporter

Oddometer:
    My WR250R GSXR exhaust system LIVES!

Had a GSXR can on my DR650 and I really like the sound and performance. The GSXR can weighs about as much as the aftermarket stuff and based on some dyno tests seems to flow better than most of the aftermarket cans on the DR.

So I had the can, got a Two Brothers midpipe, and gave it a shot. Much quieter than the DRD can I had on it and maybe as quiet as the stock pipe. I need to fab up a bracket to attach the can to the bike - I don't think that wire tie will last too long on the trail.

<iframe width="800" height="450" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/OHHhOPHJT78" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  11. shep546

shep546 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    lol what the hell was that sound?
  12. ba_

ba_ Long timer

Oddometer:
    After a winter of many mods and too many hours in the garage, I finally got out for a shakedown ride today

Quick thoughts

- HDB mirrors are better than I expected
    - G2 throttle tamer makes the bike a lot easier to ride
    - Pro Grip 714's are comfy
  13. Red Sand

Red Sand Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah - like I thought maybe a genie just popped out of the can or something.
  14. bradrh

bradrh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anybody lose a wrr lately? Why would a wrr not have a title? There's a WRR for sale here (Denver/Littleton) on craigslist without a title.
  15. KansasBob

KansasBob Been here awhile

Oddometer:

LOL! Stolen, Un Paid Loan, WR250F miss listed, but my favorite is............ I traded some weed for it, and didn't get a title. :rofl
  16. burtonrider3889

burtonrider3889 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Lien from the bank? Repo'd bike? Stolen?
  17. KansasBob

KansasBob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You are crashing into the laws of physics at a high rate of speed. Some riders just adapt to issues like this, some just can't.

The moderator on the WRR web board "shewolf" is about the same stature as your wife and has done everything possible to make the bike rideable for her. I would go there and see what she has to say, and maybe even pm her with questions. I'm sure she would be happy to help.

http://wr250rforum.forumotion.com/

The other option is to put her on an X model instead....... it's lower.......... but I know that isn't the easy way.

A set T-63 Michelins with a 110 on the rear will give you a little more.
  18. z@ch

z@ch Turn it up to eleven

Oddometer:
    Having a short SO who is very vocal about this subject, let me warn you: You're treading on thin ice here.

You can only lower a WR so far and you may find your wife is never comfortable on it. Being the better dualsport is one thing, but if it scares her to ride it, it won't matter how well it performs off road.

You look at the crf250l?
  19. Reeksy

Reeksy high state of hiatus

Oddometer:
    I'm liking this. I've yet to buy a rack for my WRR, but have the bag. I used a rollmat underneath it when on my KLR and had wondered how it would fit on a WRR, so thanks for sharing!

What was the rubbermaid tub you cut down? (wonder if i'll find the equivalent in Australia...)
  20. oldtrucks

oldtrucks Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Z@check I like the way you do things. It really is that simple Shep