Campgrounds

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by jprism, Mar 27, 2013.

1. jprism

jprism Got Miles & Smiles

Oddometer:
    <!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--> I will be camping Alaska this summer in June and July and since this is the ADV Alaska forum I thought it best to ask you natives about where best to camp in or near each town. Please keep in mind that I will be on a Honda Gold Wing pulling a trailer with wife and really wish not to perform any off road dirt bike maneuvers to get into a campground plus would like to stay in as many campgrounds as possible having water, bathrooms, showers and wifi. Below is a list of towns that I will visit overnight during my stay in Alaska. If you have experience or direct knowledge for good solid campgrounds please answer with names and towns. Thanks in advance, Jim

Glennallen
    Anchorage
    Homer
    Seward
    Willow
    Denali area
    Fairbanks
    Valdez
    Haines/Skagway
    <!--[if !mso]><object classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui></object> <style> st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } </style> <![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";} </style> <![endif]-->
  2. nuttynu

nuttynu NuttyNu Rider

Oddometer:
    Homer has a lot . At the Spit.

Chena wayside camp in Fairbanks . Right in the center of town.

Harly Dravidosn in anchorage offer free camp.

3. Alaskahack

Alaskahack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    With all due rspect sir I think your coming to the wrong state.
    Most campgrounds do not have wi-fi, almost all have out houses. And most have to be driven two via a gravel-dirt road.

There is nothing worse then being in a campground in a tent surrounded by idling RV's

Thats been my experience :rofl
  4. nuttynu

nuttynu NuttyNu Rider

Oddometer:
    True on gravel, most campgorund will required some gravel, but it shouldn't be an issue with your bike.
  5. jprism

Oddometer:
    Alaskahack...so your saying you live in Wasilla and have never heard of Alaskan Trails Camper Park? Which by the way has electric, wifi, restrooms, shower, plus plus plus! Maybe you should get out more...just saying
  6. Alaskahack

Alaskahack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    jprism
    I'm sorry for being such a butthead but I do know where the Alaska Trails Camper Park is at. And although it is is located in the middle of a lot of neat things to see. It's basically a gravel pad that supports RV's, and sits right off the highway in fact you can see the office from the roadway.(lot of road noise)
    I guess our ideas of camping are just different. There are places to camp all over this state, but most of the more beautiful areas to camp do not have showers, wi-fi, toilets.
    Good luck and have fun because thats what a trip of a lifetime is all about !!
  7. ThatGuy

ThatGuy Brownie Supporter

Oddometer:
    :rolleyes
  8. KHud

KHud Survivor

Oddometer:
    Ya, but he has a real good idea where Russia is........:lol3
  9. Alaskahack

Alaskahack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Wall-Marts provide camping sites Fairbanks, Wasilla, Anchorage. Paved parking area, McDonalds, toilets, wi-fi :rofl
  10. Falcon86

Falcon86 I just work here.

Oddometer:
    Would read again.
  11. flybynitetours

flybynitetours Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Many "camp grounds" are habituated by bears, not so bad if in a hard mobile structure but can be a problem if in a tent. Typically you can find a place a few miles from actual campgrounds, I frequently swing by the campground the next morning for water (if they have any) and waste disposal. rw
  12. ThatGuy

Oddometer:
    "Camprounds" here that have all those things are located in lots like 'hack mentioned. We have no KOA type camping parks. That being said make sure you have ear plugs, eye mask can't hurt, and a good sleeping pad for the gravel. You may find these places may have cabins to rent as well.

:lol3 Yall come back now, ya' hear? Hows VA Beach? I moved up here from there 15 years ago and have only been back there a couple of times.
  13. AKTroy

AKTroy BE AWARE OF TRAINS

Oddometer:
    Wow. You ask for info and then bash the guy setting ya straight. Nice. :puke1
  14. Alaskahack

Alaskahack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Wow This is the second time you have written threads about camping in places your going to visit. And what you have written as possible requests are not available in most camp grounds in Alaska

Most the places you have listed are not great attractions to begin with they are just places were people live

And then you mentioned Alaska Trails Camper Park. And I thought WTH was I missing?

I've lived here 30+ years, and how was it possible to miss something like this.

And yes KHuddy I do know where Russia is

So I decided I really should get out more and decided to drive out to the Alaska Trails Camper Park.

This is looking towards Denali

[​IMG]

Those buildings you see in the distance are the States famous Felony Flats. (they were temporary structures that were rented to people for $800. or so a month and didn't have toilet facilitys

[​IMG]

Our major highway between Anchorage and Fairbanks (Parks Hwy)

[​IMG]

Signage for the Campground

[​IMG]

Some of the 100 spaces available in the summer, but there was a sign that said they were open now

[​IMG]

Better picture you can see the office

Now I realize that there still is snow on the ground and that it will look a lot better in the summer with the light colored gravel

I really hope this is on your itinerary give me a shout out via the supplied wi-fi and I'll come and visit you
  15. AKDuc

AKDuc Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer:
    Cool, now I know about another RV park too! :wink:

If you want, you can come about 50 more miles into Anchorage and stay at the free campsite between our Harley shop and Motoquest Tours. It's a grassy area, with picnic tables, and a code access shower. Located across the street is a unique, slightly greasy but with large portions, resaurant called Gwennies and a 1/2 a block down the street is a Village Inn resaurant that also has wi-fi all in beautiful downtown Spenard! :D

Oh, and then I'll come and visit you. I actually run by there once in a while in the summer looking for ADV stickered bikes and/or ask if any of the travelers have any questions.

Good luck and have fun, Mark H.
  16. AKTroy

AKTroy BE AWARE OF TRAINS

Oddometer:
    Alaskahack you are my current hero! :clap :freaky :clap

I sir will be buying you a beer he next time ours paths may cross.

It usually doubles as a used car/truck/ washer/dryer/ mattress/ sale stuff. Great antiquing !
  17. ThatGuy

Oddometer:
    We are high class up here! :lol3
  18. jprism

Oddometer:
    Really did not mean to bash you in anyway if so I apologize. I have tent camped from a motorcycle for 40 years I am now 67 and still love to camp but with wife along simply wish to find the better campgrounds with amenities. In my post I simply was turning to the residents of our great state of Alaska to find the better campgrounds (if they exist) in or near the towns we wish to stay in. I am not afraid to ride or camp on gravel but simply do not wish to ride into the back country and dry camp...too dam old.

Thanks for the pics...I really do appreciate everyone's input.

Jim
  19. nuttynu

nuttynu NuttyNu Rider

Oddometer:
    It's awkward seeing you older men's on the forum!

Hahah you guys are so harsh. Give advice and move on.
  20. Alaskahack

Alaskahack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Almost everyone on this forum is older then your are :evil Get a grip:wink: