the DR200 thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by klxrdr, May 13, 2007.

1. Joelness

Joelness Adventurer

Oddometer:
    A little squirt of silicone spray on the suspension bushings does wonders for the squeaking.
  2. cidd

cidd doppler shift

Oddometer:
    You know guys Iv never had a 4 stroke always been riding 2 stroke dirt bikes so when I got this dr I was very disappointed it was slow as a slug and just didnt have the get up and Rip I was use to. I just couldn't believe that it would go thru the gears so fast and barley hit 50mph . I just put it off to the fact that it was a 4 stroke :dogalmost sold it !! Then I decided I would try a couple of small upgrades first and if that didnt do it then it was gone !! Well I'm glad I tried Just got done putting a Dg O series exhaust on and WOW did this thing WAKE UP :clap its a totally new bike it'll hit 50 easy and the gears dont wind up as fast this little upgrade is what the bike needed I have the carb kit for it but I'm going to run it like this for a few miles b4 I think of messing with the carb it just runs to good right now :lol3:happay
  3. MountainMike

MountainMike n00b

Oddometer:
    What did you do for the mount?
  4. Wallrat

Wallrat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  5. Wallrat

Wallrat Been here awhile

Oddometer:

The DR is heavy for it's engine size, weighing more than most 450 4 strokes - including the dual sport ones. Plus its an air cooled tractor engine. Basically what I'm saying is its a poor example of what kind of power you can get from a 4 stroke. On the upside however, they last forever and get great gas mileage.
  6. inuvik

inuvik Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The DR200SE is not any heavier than anything else in the same class.
    These are all dry weights except for the DR-Z400S:

DR200SE: 249lbs

TW200: 260lbs

XT225: 238lbs

KLR250: 258lbs

WR250X: 280lbs

DR-Z400S: 317lbs (wet)

You are right it is no powerhouse but there are some performance improvements available. I agree that it is extremely reliable and fuel efficient and a lot of fun to ride. I smile everytime I ride!
  7. breakdirt916

breakdirt916 CA PLATED 94 YZ250 2-STROKE

Oddometer:
    has anyone gotten any narrow bars?

I used to have narrow ones on older dirtbikes, and prefer them over the wider ones on full size bikes
  8. bross

bross Where we riding to?

Oddometer:
  9. Wallrat

Wallrat Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I think most aftermarket bars come with measurement lines to cut the bars several inches narrower. Just need a sawsall or at worst, a hacksaw.
  10. Wallrat

Wallrat Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Sorry my statement was misinterpreted. What I mean is, the DR weighs more than many 4 strokes that have 3x the engine. The DR has 15 HP at 250 lbs. For comparison, my KTM 450 has 48 HP at 254 lbs. A CR250R 2 stroke from the same year as my KTM is 44 HP at 220lbs. Its not really a fair representation when making the age-old 2 stroke vs. 4 stroke decision - unless you're comparing it to an old, air cooled 1977 YZ80.
  11. cidd

cidd doppler shift

Oddometer:
    OK decided to do the carb mods that really help the top end I can now do 50 mph in 4th gear no problem 5th gear is just kind of a crusing gear now . I dont take this thing over 50 mph much around town The DG exhaust really made a diference and the carb mod helped richen it up as it was defenatly burning lean . These two mods are a must !! in my book .
  12. mikesova

mikesova Michigander

Oddometer:
    Took the MSF class with my wife this weekend. The bikes that were in the class were Tu250s, GZ250s, Tw200s, a cb125, and a lone DR200. It was funny to hear people saying, "Man, that yellow one (DR200) is tall!"

:rofl
  13. breakdirt916

Oddometer:
    this is VERY tempting...this big really is a lugger...no power anywhere!

I wish you were closer so I could see how this power increase feels like

anyone in socal have the exhaust/jetting mods and can show this to me??

and has anyone taken this bike to the desert? I want to check out ocotillo wells, and want to make sure the bike will make it
  14. bross

Oddometer:
    Pipe cutter does a nice job.

[​IMG]
  15. bross

Oddometer:
    Why wouldn't the bike make it? My wife rode her DR200 over a 1000kms to the coast and back through the mountains. Sure she was a little slow climbing a few of the steeper passes but she still managed to pass a couple harley's who were holding her up. :deal :lol3

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  16. Klay

Klay dreaming adventurer

Oddometer:
    That's funny, bross. I remember when my wife and I had our 200s in Colorado and we had trouble with slow-moving Harleys that we had to pass.
  17. breakdirt916

Oddometer:
    awesome!

I just figured the desert has a sandpaper-like environment...wouldn't want to put the bike beyond what it's capable of and do a lot of damage

has anyone tried the MX track? :rofl

I have an extra set of wheels...going to put some dirt-only tires on there with the largest rear sprocket I can fit with the stock chain
  18. cidd

cidd doppler shift

Oddometer:
    Trust me the exhaust mode is like night and day cost me 160.00 took 10 min to install. The carb mode was like 40.00 and took a couple of hrs only because the screws for the carb body were so tight I had a heck of time getting them loose I replaced them with 4mm cap screws from my local hardware store. It made the bike a real keeper you will notice the difference it every gear and smile the whole way thrue them !!
  19. Wallrat

Wallrat Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Because that's the trails you rode, and this is a trail in Ocotillo:
    [​IMG]

It'll make it on the tame stuff no problem, but you'll have some trouble in deep sand, big rocks, and especially a combination of both. Expect to use 1st gear on just about any of the steepish hills.
  20. breakdirt916

Oddometer:
    this is what I was thinking - I've been on some harsh, rocky single track back in MA, and even my mighty 144 stroker was WOT with the clutch slipping to get through nasty sections (which you have to approach with speed), and not to mention the necessity for a full travel suspension

and the first gear comment - this is also why I was considering to get a bigger sprocket for the trails..if I can use all the gears, it will really allow me put the power down

cidd - got any video? I can almost feel where the bike is choked up - mostly top end