XR650R Thread!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by JustinT, Nov 24, 2008.

1. Coastie3202

Coastie3202 King of MY Mountain

Oddometer:
    Got my order in today. The pic on the link that you provided shows the Precision Concepts in white on the black carbon fiber fork guards. The small thumbnail on their site where I ordered does not show the Precision Concepts logo. I wonder if they come with the logo, or they include the stickers in case you want to put the logo on.

Anyone got any idea?
  2. Coastie3202

Oddometer:
    Do you have any problem with your fork seals since you aren't running the boots or Seal Savers?
  3. Capt. Egregious

Capt. Egregious Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Where the sewer meets the sea, Edmonds Wa
    I cut the fork gators off when I put the supermoto wheels on. I was running track days and lots of street riding. I don't recommend running gatorless(just didn't like the look of em on the street). I have been lucky so far, no damaged fork tubes or seals. I have a new set of fork boots waiting to be installed.
  4. Coastie3202

Oddometer:
    I wasn't considering going without some protection, but was thinking about going to the long seal savers instead of gators. Still thinking that one through.
  5. Capt. Egregious

Capt. Egregious Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Where the sewer meets the sea, Edmonds Wa
    I have heard guys say that sand gets under the seal savers and scuff the fork tubes. I would like to go with the fork protectors like the upside downs use. There was a set a few weeks ago in the flea market. Missed out on em thou:cry
  6. Coastie3202

Oddometer:
    Now thats a thought. I'll have to check into those. I currently ride in the New Mexico desert and mountains, not much mud. Gonna move to Oregon in about 4 years, lots of mud, so the gators will be critical then.
  7. Garthe

Garthe ROCKS ARE YOUR FRIENDS...

Oddometer:
    Mine came blank.
  8. Garthe

Oddometer:
    Before I installed the PC fork guards, I cut strips of heavy duty sticker material and put them on the fork leg. Guards the forks from the guards and will let sand and stuff out...
  9. Garthe

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

http://www.bajadesigns.com/2009/articles/strykr/

I bought one of these to solve that problem.
  10. Coastie3202

Oddometer:
    How are the PC fork guards held in place? Double side tape, zip tie, other?

Is fork leg removal necessary or do they slip on from the bottom after the wheel is removed, or are they split? I know I could just wait until they arrive to find out, but I just don't do things that way. Have to have the inside scoop as soon as possible...I'm just happy that way.

The heavy duty sticker material is a great idea that I will use.
  11. ramjet

ramjet Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oh, crap. busted one of the chain adjuster bolts on the SA almost flush with the surface. Has anyone tried EZ out on this predicament? Or better ideas??:ear
  12. larryboy

larryboy Just obey!

Oddometer:
    I don't think I showed you guys this video. It's from a trip last summer, two XRR's on the trip. This video will give you a great cross section of what California is really like...sea level grass lands, 10k foot passes, deserts, twisties, nice trail with little stream crosssings...it's got it all.

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/13918268?portrait=0" width="640" height="480" frameborder="0"></iframe><p><a href="http://vimeo.com/13918268">Kings, Misfits, Freaks and Renegades.</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/user3619323">larryboy8821</a> on <a href="http://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>
  13. Cpt. Ron

Cpt. Ron Advrider #128

Oddometer:

You ride with other people?:D
  14. larryboy

larryboy Just obey!

Oddometer:

That's my annual one time to ride with others and wait for them. :wink:

I do the Sheetiron too, but that's every man for himself. :lol3
  15. Cpt. Ron

Cpt. Ron Advrider #128

Oddometer:
    I seem to be the polar opposite of you. Most of my rides (even on the XR to keep it on topic) are in groups. I feel lucky if it's down to me and two others. And yes, it's usually a ride and wait thing. I've given up on the Sheetiron for now. Too many yahoos and I seem to always be waiting for someone or helping someone who isn't prepared. Not enough riding. The last time I rode that, I was considering going out and back in the same day just to make it interesting.
  16. Garthe

Oddometer:
    How are the PC fork guards held in place? Double side tape, zip tie, other?

Is fork leg removal necessary or do they slip on from the bottom after the wheel is removed, or are they split? I know I could just wait until they arrive to find out, but I just don't do things that way. Have to have the inside scoop as soon as possible...I'm just happy that way. I'm the same way...

The heavy duty sticker material is a great idea that I will use. Take it as your own...
  17. AlpinaE24

AlpinaE24 Long timer

Oddometer:
  18. RdrMtn

RdrMtn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I recently had the same thing happen and I got a long drill bit and carefully, slowly drilled out the bolt. Then I re-tapped with the same size threads. Has been holding just fine for more than a year.....
  19. larryboy

larryboy Just obey!

Oddometer:

I've been wearing the jersey we got for the 100th year of the OMC and everybody seems to just get out of the way when we come through. :lol3

Nice picture, Alpina!!! :thumb
  20. BigNastybrp

BigNastybrp Big Nasty

Oddometer:
    the other day:freaky
    [​IMG]