KTM - LC4 Round the World ADVenturization

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by rtwpaul, Feb 21, 2013.

1. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding... Supporter

Oddometer:
    thanks i'll look into the rims and as the post after yours says the stock cush drive rear wheel is a good option with the 2.50 rim

once i pull the carb off i can note what i have and get spares from there onwards
  2. rtwpaul

Oddometer:
    yep i'm here in the US not far from you actually, i'm in Vegas, so the bike is a US model and no oil in frame :cry i do know a guy locally who has a 640A so i will look at his and see the oil line routing and create an auxiliary tank to up the capacity

the 28 liter was the option i was going to go with, but may have to relocate and reweld the mounts or use spaces as it is made for the FCR carb not the BST...once i get it i will know for sure, i'll also be adding a 1 gallon (3.78liter) rotopax to the rear opposite the exhaust can and use the mounting structure to additionally add strength and structure to the sub frame

do you know if the cush drive hub is still available from any vendors? as for changing rims and relacing i can do that myself

3. Droptarotter

Droptarotter Long timer

Oddometer:
    Add the grease nipple on the left to grease the bearings in the frame as these bearings take a beating and will wear out quickly. They can also be hard to get out......................

[​IMG]
    Queen of Spades likes this.
  4. davesupreme

davesupreme grand poobah

Oddometer:
    i put a big bike cush rear, 4.25" on my 450 SMR, and i also got a cush hub used from Woody's that i strung up w/a 2.50" rim for a dirt conversion... you gotta look around for a used one, they don't come up much.... the used one i got from Woody's was a RAD one, i think.... nice piece, it's a billet copy of the cast KTM hub.... both are nice, and they really transform the bike if you don't have one, real snatchy w/out it..... i'm suprised that that bike doesn't have a cush hub now, i thought they were stock on the big bikes?....
  5. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    I'm pretty sure any KTM brand tank that fits a 640 with a FCR will also fit a BST equipped bike... The FCR is actually a much bulkier carb, the only real difference will be cable routing... The BST routes the cables up through the frame and along the left side of the backbone under the tank... The FCR cables are best routed under the top y in the frame before it runs along the right side of the backbone... The BST does have the higher vacuum cap in the center but it should not be much of an issue...

Your tank mounts should be generic to all the LC 4 models, even the Adventure tank will mount up to your SXC, the only real difference is the Adventure has an extra brace that fits into an additional bushing slot that the A tank comes equipped with.... This brace also help protect the rads from getting crushed from a side hit...

What tank are you looking to get?
  6. rtwpaul

Oddometer:
    got it, thats one for the list i hadn't read about
  7. rtwpaul

Oddometer:
    this is the tank, the 27/28 liter

[​IMG]

i'm not to bothered if i have to relocate any mounts on the frame, i had a motorcycle shop and built motorcycles for 17 years so none of that stuff intimidates me, if anything its fun and i am a welder as well...

i think the issue according to just gas tanks is the height of the carb, and if i can utilize any mounts on the frame that are not used they will be when i'm finished if they are useful, otherwise they will be gone
  8. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:

That Safari tank looks to be the only big fuel option left on the market for the LC4... I guess the KTM 28 liter Rally tank isn't listed or available anymore ... I do know of an Adventure tank that was up for grabs but it may be sold now, I can inquire ... I also have a spare 640 A tank but they are not easy to find so it is a keeper...

You could always heat mold a depression in the Safari tank to fit the BST's Vacuum cap, it probably wouldn't take much...
  9. rtwpaul

Oddometer:
    let me know on the adventure tank, i am ready to buy right now if its still around and the price is right
  10. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    I'll check on the status...
  11. Lc8grrr

Lc8grrr Vtwin madness

Oddometer:
    I have a couple of Talon cush drive rear wheels but probably wouldnt use one on a ride like yours as the rubber inserts are a smallish O ring (maybe RAD use something better) The factory Rally bikes of Despres/Coma/Sala etc used a Talon front hub but a KTM OEM rear hub which uses the same rubbers as on a 640A or 950A. That to me says the OEM is much better for lots of abuse or lots of miles.
  12. Droptarotter

Droptarotter Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey Gunner, if you are thinking of the Adventure tank from Ted in the Okanagan, I bought that the other day!

Sorry Paul, it's not available!

Cheers
  13. AdventureDave

AdventureDave MMMMM Bundy!

Oddometer:
    the Safari tank works with the original seat and doesnt need a fuel pump, so is a good option. The KTM Adventure tank needs a fuel pump, but the Genuine KTM 18 lt tank needs the 'comfort' seat (std adventure seat) and mine holds 20.5 litres. I dont think they are available new anymore, but you can still buy the Safari tanks.

http://www.safaritanks.com.au/home/9-KTM/31-KTM-SXC-625-27-Litre/flypage.tpl.html

http://justgastanks.com/index.php?cPath=4_78_111

as mentioned the Australian 625's came with the oil in the frame holding 1.9 lt total. the 2007 model came std with cush drive rear hub.

cheers

David
  14. davesupreme

davesupreme grand poobah

Oddometer:
    best place to get KTM parts...

http://www.ktmpartshouse.com/

cheapest i've found on the net, and there supposed to get shipments from KTM every 2 days.... i think it may even be dealers price, i dunno, but it's pretty cheap, and the parts fiche's answer pretty much all questions....
  15. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    Is that a spare for you? I have another potential 640 A tank that I am waiting for a reply on, but it may also be sold...
  16. rtwpaul

Oddometer:
    this is what RAD uses

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

now IMHO as a motorcycle builder and also a machinist i look at it like this, i will take a cush drive over none if one is required, and take billet over cast (stock hub) tensile strength is way better, Dakar bikes have the option of a wheel change if there is an issue, no support crew with me :lol3 now on the rubbers, with this type above they will loose some action by getting worn over time but a very simple and cheap on the side of the road fix is inner tube rubber, cutting small strips and inserting them between the rubbers, doing this on my XT i got 50,000 miles out of a set, expected life is 5-15,000 miles

so if someone from RAD is reading let me know if you are ready for some RTW testing?
  17. rtwpaul

Oddometer:
    thats the one i mean, and not needing a fuel pump is the added advantage, less to go wrong, didn't realize the 640A had a pump i thought they came in later

definitely no oil in frame but i am going to look at a 640A for oil routing this week to determine a reservoir location but if you have photos of your version that would be a great help as its a direct model for model comparison, put them up on here if you have them :deal
  18. Droptarotter

Droptarotter Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have that Rad rear hub for my bike and I believe the rubber cush is the same as stock KTm 640A.

Good idea on the bicycle inner tube fix!

Cheers
  19. Droptarotter

Droptarotter Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep, wanted a spare.

Cheers
  20. rtwpaul

Oddometer:
    that would be good if they are the same, makes them more readily available

here the fix in action, when/ if you do it, use soapy water or just water NOT any oil based lubricant to help the new very tight fit as that would break down the rubber over time and dirt will stick to it

this is on my XT

[​IMG]

and this was at about 50,000 miles when a rear wheel bearing shattered, i figured a good as time as any to put in a new set as they got pretty warm in a hurry, i think i could have got another 25,000 miles out of them without a bearing failure :rofl

[​IMG]