Bali

Discussion in 'Asia Pacific' started by Yard Sale, Jan 23, 2008.

1. Yard Sale

Yard Sale let's be bad guys

Oddometer:
    I'm toying with the idea of going to Bali in late October. Are there any riding opportunities in Bali? Ideally, off-road. Bring my gear, rent a bike, follow a guide (or not). My schedule would give me only half-days. But I could pad my trip with a few days before and/or after my event.
  2. manfish

manfish Ulysses Handler

Oddometer:
    I've been to Bali 5 or 6 times in the last 4 or 5 years. Awesome place, but I go for the scuba diving and the people. They are some of the friendliest people around based on the travels I've made to Asia, Europe and Africa.

That being said, I'd never consider riding a motorcycle there. If their are laws, they surely aren't enforced, the lanes mean nothing. If you can fit a truck, a car and 2 motorcycles all going past each other on a 2 lane road, Go for it! Unless you have experience driving in Asian or European countries, I'd avoid driving and leave it to the locals.

But if you want to try, I'm betting there wouldn't be any good riding down around Denpasar, it's just to crowded, but if you go to the northern end of the island around Tulamben, or west to Lovina there may be some good rides.

I've dealt with Grand Komodo Tours a few times in the country and they are great to deal with and might be able to answer some of your questions about motorcycle riding. One other thing to keep in mind is that almost all the motorcycles I've seen there are scooter type with 125 cc engines or so... I have seen a few small dirt bike style bikes though.

Have a great trip, you'll love the country. I'll close with a few common scene photos around Bali.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  3. PIklr

PIklr Adventure Guide

Oddometer:
    I have raced Supercross and went riding around Bali, and then Jakarta, But we had to ship in and out our bikes, a group of us racers on a day off did rent the local available scooters had a blast racing around kuda, sanur and Nusa dua, you need a international drivers permit to rent, and a valid drivers license, but no need for an endorsement. No big bikes at all that I seen. if you ride, its the rule of tonnage there, if its bigger get out of the way!

Bryan

http://www.philippinemotorcycletours.com/
  4. petefromberkeley

petefromberkeley -

Oddometer:
    if you ride, its the rule of tonnage there, if its bigger get out of the way!

Bryan
    /[/quote]

Yes the sientific equation for determining right of way over there should always be kept in mind. F=MA (force= mass X acceleration)
  5. Ujow

Ujow Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Its been years since my visit to Bali. But as far i remember, there are lot of scooter rentals. If you lucky enough, you'll find a 125cc dirt bike to rent. But dont imagine it like the KTM looks.The Suzuki TS-125 its like 80's dirt bike. Well, there's a big bike rental in Bali if i'm not mistaken. They provide H-D and other bike.

Have a nice visit. :1drink
  6. h17

h17 Enjoying The Ride

Oddometer:
    yes, if youre looking for a big bike only cruiser like HD that you can rent, other than that only small mopeds and scooters that are available.
  7. myreddog

myreddog n00b

Oddometer:
    I toured Bali in late '06 and had an excellent time. Bike hire is available everywhere in Bali and cost me around $5au per day for the average 125cc commuter in near new condition. Hiring the bike was simply a matter of choosing a good looking bike, haggling a good price (you get huge discounts if you want it for a week or more) and handing over a photocopy of your passport and international drivers licence.
    I found the operators to be very relaxed and trusting and they arent concerned with bonds in case of damage and hardly even look at the bike for damage when you return it. I believe if you write the bike off you may be expected to replace it and they cost around $7000 from what I could work out.
    Riding around Kuta/Legian and Denpasar is a bit like racing in a crowded motorcross event, there are hazards everywhere and heaps of bikes and cars to dodge, but an accident normally happens at low speed and isnt very damaging.
    Once you are out of the main city the roads and awesome, and in most cases the traffic is minimal. The best riding is in the North of the island around the mountains although this is also the wettest areas.
    On some of these mountain roads the little 125 struggled a bit and it would have been nice to have gone a 200cc Honda (about the biggest cheap bike to hire) but I prefer the layout and carrying capacity of the scooter style bike.
    I found the best way to travel was to leave the backpack in Kuta and tour with only a small 30lt daypack which sat between my shins on the bikes low slung frame. This contained a few shirts, shorts, toiletries and alcohol, all I needed for a week in the hills.
    Accommodation cost me $5 a night incl. breakfast. These places are normally rundown and a flushing toilet is a bonus, but I'm cheap and will forgo bedsheets and western bathrooms to save $20. To find these cheap places just ask any of the locals as they are often off the main streets or at the back of their own accommodation.
    Detailed travel maps like Periplus are available in Kuta but I'd take a compass as well. A lot of the smaller roads are not signposted, and the locals (who often dont speak english in the hills) will be of little use to you if you get lost.
    I'd highly recommend doing a ride around Bali, its some of the best riding I've ever done, the locals are friendly, the prices are cheap and you will see things that most tourists miss. Its also one of the only ways to break out of the usual "tourist trap" routine that sees you paying exorbidant prices for travel and entry to sites and tourist shops.
  8. KTMInduro

KTMInduro Off Road Montster Supporter

Oddometer:
    There is spectacular riding in Bali.

View attachment 170821

If you are still planning on coming here, let me know and I can hook you up with a bike.

Cheers,

Monty
  9. KTMInduro

KTMInduro Off Road Montster Supporter

Oddometer:
  10. Rodrigofernandes

Rodrigofernandes n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi All,

I'm looking to rent a dirt bike in Bali or in Jakarta for 10 days of usage.
    Do you know any Company who I can contact?

Thank you,
  11. rxp23au

rxp23au n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi guys,

Also interested in hiring a dirt bike in Bali for 14 days or so. Does anyone know of any names/contacts?

Cheers
  12. eatingdust

eatingdust n00b

Oddometer:
    I've lived in Bali for 4 years - the riding here is spectacular. The prior comments about the traffic - particularly in the Capital and tourist areas are true - you need to be an experienced and have a small area of personal space. Lots of people ride here without helmets - and go home in plaster casts or worse. But with care, Bali is motorcycle paradise.

Renting off road bikes is tricky. I see old Suzuki 125's sitting outside workshops in the towns and villages and guess that the owners may be renting them out - but there is no organised rental of these bikes. I know of no new trail bikes being rented out here. Bali has almost no Bikes over 200 cc for tax/registration/legal/political reasons.

For routes - look to the mountains (volcano's). The further up the volcano's you get, the worse (read better, less sealed, more trail like) the roads get. There are also interesting trails in some of the rice fields, but be wary. I landed upside down in a wet rice field last week - the trails can get very narrow...Google Maps/Google Earth is the place to look for trails - stay away from towns and villages and the roads are excellent...

Good luck.
  13. iSAW

iSAW Whats this lever do?

Oddometer:
    Just booked some time in bali for next year,
    Am planning on hiring a bike and maybe hopping to another island for a quick squirt and look around for a week. If anyknow can point me in the direction of a place that rents a decent bike, and some maps/places to check out, or a 6-8 day loop I'm all ears! :ear

Cheers
  14. gozell

gozell Adventurer

Oddometer:
  15. YamahaXT600

YamahaXT600 n00b

Oddometer:
    just check some posts here: http://advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=19455344&postcount=8

I guess you could just visit the volcanos and the big tourist atractions by bike (check lonely planet) ... The riding in Bali is a pleasure in itself.

Also: And I can advise this to anyone: BUY an indonesian simcard with credit and let a local hook you up with internet. You'll have navigation if u have GPS on ur phone...
  16. iSAW

iSAW Whats this lever do?

Oddometer:
    Thanks,

I've messaged the guy from the link above, but it sounds like hes only got one bike.. I'm chasing another for my mate to ride with me. I'll do the walk down the street and hopefully we find something.
  17. griffin146

griffin146 Coming in Hot.....

Oddometer:
    Just back from Bali.
    Rode a softail for a day ride.270 km in 9 hours.
    Really nice, but average speed 60-70km/h, due to traffic and twisties.
    pics here - www.ninja650tourer.blogspot.com.
  18. balitripservice

balitripservice Bali Dirt Bike Adventures

Oddometer:
    Hi guys, we providing online booking for Dirt Bike Rental with engine size 150 and 250 Trail Bike with KAWASAKI Brand.
    Check out our website at http://www.balitripservice.com/bali-trail-bike/trail-bike-rental for further info.
    :beer
    Regard,

Bali Trip Rider