WR250R FP-HUS fuel pump replacement question

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Aleeoop70, Jan 2, 2013.

1. Aleeoop70

Aleeoop70 EX-MX Adv Tourist

Oddometer:
    Someone asked this question in the many WR250R "fuel pump failure" posts but I'm not sure anyone ever answered it so I will ask it again now (and yes I did the search to see if it was ever answered and I do not believe it was).
    The FP-HUS fuel pump from California Cycle Works was cited as being a suitable replacement for the stock WR250R fuel pump. The question was asked if this pump can be mounted/attached to the stock "basket mount" or does it hang from the fuel line and "free float" in the tank without being secured. Has anyone here performed this replacement? Would it be a viable "field repair" or would fabrication tools be needed? Thanks in advance for you patience and hopefully answers.
  2. cacycleworks

cacycleworks n00b

Oddometer:
    We've been working with our distributors on this exact problem. Apparently, the initial version of our pump was perfect. The current version is different in that we added barbs to the fuel outlet, which makes our pump NOT a direct replacement. We are trying to find out if there are enough applications for the "WR" variant of the pump to request another production run just for that version of the pump.

We also will incorporate the other internal improvements for the FP-HUS pump which makes it so durable.

We would appreciate your efforts to help us cross-reference this to other models and years of production. I'm not against having a FP-WR but if there aren't a LOT of them, we'll need to piggy back it on our next FP-HUS production run, which might not even be needed in 2013...

Thanks,
    Chris
  3. Rapid Dog

Rapid Dog bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer:
    :ear:ear:ear
  4. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    i thought the Yamaha 125 Zuma used the same pump too and those guys have had some issues too.
  5. Aleeoop70

Aleeoop70 EX-MX Adv Tourist

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the reply. I will ask my local Yamaha dealer to cross reference the stock Yamaha pump. I'm wondering if the barbs can be removed without damaging the pump, so the FP-HUS pump could be carried as a spare.
  6. GF-kam

GF-kam Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    IMG_2353.jpg My apologies in advance of posting my question. I am not sure how to create a new WR250R post.

I took my 2010 WR250R fuel pump out of the tank. I am trying to do some planning in anticipation of changing the pump. Can anyone tell me the dimensions of the black pickup fuel line that connects to the upper and lower section of the fuel pump housing? I tried 1/4", but way too small.

Also, why is the black fuel line so hard and rigid? It looks like it was heat shrunk onto the pump. Does that fuel line come apart or must it be cut to remove the cage that goes over the fuel pump?

I managed to chip away the sharp corners of the 3 claws that snap the cage over the fuel pump.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/125759496@N04/23676968876/in/dateposted-public/