Suzuki DR650 Luggage Racks

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by jackpiner57, Feb 14, 2013.

1. jackpiner57

jackpiner57 Moto-Racks.com Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here are the new Suzuki DR650 luggage racks. I may add an additional smaller top rack to the product line if people would like a choice.

They're available now!

Of course, like all of my top racks, it is RotopaX Ready. The cross plate has holes with nuts welded to the underside for quick and easy installation/removal of a RotopaX Pack Mount.

[​IMG]

The Rear Top Rack is 20" wide and 14" deep. It sits almost flush with the seat to keep weight low and to help prevent lower back injuries if you crash or slide off the back. I'll be adding turn signal mounts to the production racks.

[​IMG]

The Side Luggage Racks are designed to hold the new Wolfman Rocky Mountain Saddle Bags and bring the weight of any type of saddlebags or hard cases well forward of the rear axle for better handling and weight distribution. This make things a little tighter for a passenger, but I wanted to give solo riders a better rack system. They are tight to the bike, but still allow side panel removal without removing the racks.

[​IMG]
  2. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Oh check you out.
  3. jackpiner57

Oddometer:
    :lol3

Hi Eakins, your thoughts on what DR riders need or prefer would be much appreciated! I know you have a lot of adventure riding experience with 'em.
  4. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    I really like how you moved the racks forward so the bags (several Wolfman options to choose from now) are closer to center as the DR is really a 1 man (or women) show kinda bike.

That rear rack is then nice and big to support a Wolfman dry duffel for camping and other gear. The only thing i'd love to see (if possible) is a way to tie in and support to that center bolt on the fender for added strength. Maybe a piece of attached tube that goes down into it the recess and then use a longer bolt.

The old ebay BBQ rack does this with flat plate and a nylon spacer in that spot. The reason i'd like to see this is because this rack can hold some heavy loads. If you look at the rear left attachment plate on a DR650, it's really just a thinner plate of material with so so welds. Enough weight and off-road riding is gonna snap that plate of and thus 1/4 of the mounts. I'm thinking that center mount will help carry some weight. Look at the pic bellow and see that center bolt on the flat plate. That connects down to the subframe so 5 points of strength. This is needed for any large DR rear rack IMO.

What's the solution for rear turn signals? Does your racks allow the factory grab rails to remain and thus a place for the turn signals? If not then you need some mounts on the rear rack for the turn signals. What about of the side racks alone are used? They they fit with the factory grab rails and also the oem rear rack?

Glad to see you did not tie the side & rear racks together, so people can mix and match your racks with others out there.

I can tell you are a one man show and have learned a ton about this whole process. You are producing a nice product.
    I'm happy to see and support anyone who is making parts and gear for the DR650 as that's my bike of choice. :clap

Thanks, Bill

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  5. KilgoreTrout

KilgoreTrout adventure flyfisher

Oddometer:
    Nice work, I am with Eakins on the need for center support on the rear rack similar to the Barbecue rack which I also own. My main reason for looking at alternatives to the Barbecue rack is I find at 23 1/2 inches its a little wider than I personally like although tough to beat for carrying a big duffel,tent,kitchen sink etc.... I am trying to lessen what I bring along and was hoping for similar dimensions to your DRZ 400E rack which will still allow for a small duffel on top of the fuel pack. You have put lots of thought into your products to allow for access to the bike keep up the great work!:clap
    Cheers from the Great White North :lol3
  6. jackpiner57

Oddometer:
    Thanks Bill, I appreciate the excellent advice and support!

I agree 100% that adding a support in the center is something that needs to be done. All of my DR top racks will now have that feature. My R&D bike was taken home by the owner yesterday, so I'll have to see if he'll bring it back for me to use again.

I'll be adding mounts for turn signals to the top racks also. The owner of the R&D bike didn't want any because he's mounting some low profile signals directly to the fender.

My side rack top brackets bolt directly to the sub frame lugs for greater strength. The OEM grab rails could be added on top of them and I will provide a 1/4" aluminum spacer for the rear grab rail mount.

With the top rack installed, it would eliminate the grab rails altogether.

And yes, I'm learning something every day in this business!

Thanks, Tom

Thanks KT, for the support and the suggestion to make a smaller rack for the DR! I am going to make a prototype very soon and post some pics on here. I'll offer both the large and small racks for the DR650. I agree the DRZ-E's 16.5"w x 14"d is a handy size without being too wide. I made one today for a customer's DRZ-S. He wanted something a little bigger than my current "S" rack.

Thanks, Tom
  7. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    How about a larger version too to match the same wide width of the bbq rack?

Many miss the bbq rack because of this and they tour with medium and large Wolfman & Orlieb dry duffels. It's often said how the bbq rack is liked because it protects the rear (signals and muffler) of the bike when dumped. I've dropped my DR several times and the bbq rack has always taken the hit.

I & others use our DRs as dirt tourers and daily-riding dirt bikes only, not singletrack machines. We want a functional wide rack and don't care about it for daily riding as we're not squeezing in tight places. Then add hard bags people use and that wide rack is not wide at all.

this is my DR w/ bbq rack
    [​IMG]

here is an unknown owner's bike
    [​IMG]
  8. jackpiner57

Oddometer:
    Bill, I've been hesitant to make a rack that wide because I think my 20" wide rack will hold even the largest dry bags well. The big 28" long bags would overhang the sides only by about 4". That really isn't much.

If I get enough requests for A BBQ size rack, I'll custom make them for anyone who wants one. Custom orders currently take two to three weeks to ship.
  9. jackpiner57

Oddometer:
  10. jackpiner57

Oddometer:
  11. Ballbearing

Ballbearing Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What I would like to do is use both hard and soft bags.

Will your side racks also accept Happy Trail teton panniers? From the pictures it appears that they might be located too close to the rider's position and a leg could get caught.

Thanks.
  12. jackpiner57

Oddometer:
    Hi Jason,

The boxes do not have to be centered on the racks. You could move them back a couple of inches. The oval loop is 13.25" long. Hope this helps. -Tom
  13. Ballbearing

Ballbearing Adventurer

Oddometer:
    OK, Thanks. I don't have the hard bags yet, I'm just weighing my options.
  14. jackpiner57

Oddometer:
    You're welcome! If there's anything I can do for you just let me know. -Tom
  15. jackpiner57

Oddometer:
  16. jackpiner57

Oddometer:
  17. jackpiner57

Oddometer:
    I've got two sets of Side Luggage Racks and one Rear Luggage Rack left in stock. I'll be making more over the next couple of weeks. Get 'em today!
  18. jackpiner57

Oddometer:
  19. jackpiner57

Oddometer:
    I was thinking that some riders might like a narrower rack.

This is a prototype on that idea. This one is 12.5" wide (not including bungee rails) and 14" front to back. A 40 liter dry bag duffel fits easily front to back instead of cross wise. It has a bungee rail on each side that angles downward at 45 degrees. It also has a threaded mounting plate to attach a RotopaX Pack Mount. Like my other rack, there are holes in the rear flat bar bracket for mounting the OEM turn signals.

Any suggestions?

Should I offer this smaller size for the DR?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Bang42 likes this.
  20. simestd

simestd Packet plumber Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hi Tom,

Did the center support make it into your current DR rack designs? I don't see it in the pictures on your site or your recent small rack prototype which is why I'm asking.

I really like all other aspects of your original design, but want to avoid a repeat of this:

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=22300007&postcount=81469

Thanks,