Raleigh/Fayetteville area riders??

Discussion in 'Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge' started by Chad_NC, Aug 6, 2006.

1. truck6driver

truck6driver Proud Navy dad!

Oddometer:
    Well after 2 years :eek1 I ventured off road out on the TTR today. I found out that I really need to relearn how to ride in the dirt. I was very uneasy and nervous everytime the rear would kick out or the front would want to wash.
    Honestly I did not enjoy the ride. I was holding the handle bars too tight and didn't take long for my carple tunnel syndrome to make my wrist and hands hurt. :cry

Ray
  2. eyedragaknee

eyedragaknee McGuyver

Oddometer:
    When are you going back? I want to be there!
  3. RidingDonkeys

RidingDonkeys Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer:
    NORBVR, I love that Enfield! Run what you brung! :clap
  4. RidingDonkeys

Oddometer:
    Dang, I got so distracted by the Enfield that I forgot was I came to post.

Anybody have any experience with a 1980 Kawasaki KE 175 2-stroke? I just got an interesting offer on one that is if really good condition, but admittedly know nothing about them.
  5. NORBVR

NORBVR Not so gnarly

Oddometer:
    I'm going on call for the next couple weeks, memorial day we hope to see our son and DIL in Va. It'll be June any way. Time to recover:1drink

Every time I would high five myself for remembering the shifter was on the right side, I'd blow it by moving the lever the wrong way :lol3 My talc wish came true as I see I had blown the filter nozzle off during the ride yesterday. No wonder the smoke decreased and the compression improved!

[​IMG]

I have to do something to get the foot pegs out of their self draining position. Might have to blob some weld onto the back sides. I see the decompression valve is leaking some oil. I'm thinking I might just leave that as self testament to the proper operation of the oiling system. Keep the iron barrel rust free :wink:

All in all just a fun bike to ride!
  6. truck6driver

truck6driver Proud Navy dad!

Oddometer:
    You mean this one?

http://fayetteville.craigslist.org/mcy/3769659212.html

I do not have first hand knowledge but have been told they are tough bikes and easy to work on.

Trailboss might have some past experience with them.

Ray
  7. RidingDonkeys

Oddometer:
    Yup. That would be it. It isn't exactly what I had in mind, but I am intrigued by it.
  8. Tarheel Wheeler

Tarheel Wheeler Long timer

Oddometer:
    Peter, Great to see you got the big E running. Sweet pics...bet they ain't seen nothing like that rollin around OB. Classic stuff. U are da man! :bow:bow
  9. IT 400

IT 400 Junk Collector

Oddometer:
    Every time I would high five myself for remembering the shifter was on the right side :wink:

All in all just a fun bike to ride![/QUOTE]

Yer tryin to ride a "dirttracker" in the woods! That's the problem :lol3
  10. NORBVR

NORBVR Not so gnarly

Oddometer:
    Yer tryin to ride a "dirttracker" in the woods! That's the problem :lol3

I could set a new record in Flattrack - most times lapped in one heat! :rofl
  11. nobrakes

nobrakes Long timer

Oddometer:

Great to see you getting out, norbvr, it's been a long time! Bike looks great.
  12. ncTRAILBOSS

ncTRAILBOSS A52 TOUR GUIDE

Oddometer:
    Peter,that new crowd running A52 did'nt know who they were talking to when they said 'you gonna ride that thing here??":lol3.....They just did'nt know they were talking to the man who had done the trails on a Ural side-hack rig with a old long-haired dude eatting pound cake in the rumble seat.:clap:lol3
  13. ncTRAILBOSS

Oddometer:
    I think the motor is based off of the air-cooled KDX175 mill.Should be pretty solid.I doubt it would like much more than around town road miles though.Make a nice short hop machine though.
  14. ncTRAILBOSS

Oddometer:
    Thought you were doing a trials meet this past weekend.I was at DR both days,must have missed ya.

Mickey Boone was there,and Sam Dayton as well.Mickey did'nt ride,but Mr.Dayton demonstrated how a 1975 RM 250 was meant to be rode!:eek1
  15. eyedragaknee

eyedragaknee McGuyver

Oddometer:
    Last time I rode there was December of 2012 :cry:cry:cry:cry and:cry:cry:cry
  16. Tarheel Wheeler

Oddometer:
    Man it's dang hard enough to get you to get off your arse and leave Scotland Co. Now you come hang out near A53 and don't even call. What's up with that? :wink:

I hung out with Mrs. C, Kent and Eric in the tower most of the day. Texted you some pics of a sweet little BSA and a red Duck. Both nice rigs for sure.

Saw a good group of Dual Sports heading in Saturday when I was leaving. Anybody on this thread? :ear
  17. roadtrip22

roadtrip22 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey folks. I was informed there was a dual sport path that goes from Raleigh NC to Virginia? Does anyone know what route this is and what dirt roads to take??
  18. Tarheel Wheeler

Oddometer:
    Dood, If you find out what and where it is let the rest of us know about here on the thread. Plenty of inmates that would be all over ridin it. :wink:
  19. hscrugby

hscrugby "That guy"

Oddometer:
    I think it was last used in 1950.
    Since then, they've paved 501.
    :D
  20. RidingDonkeys

Oddometer:
    It could be done. :norton

I frequently make trips to Greensboro to see the family, I've been slowly working on a Southern Pines to Greensboro route using only trails spotted on Google Maps. After reading Walter Colebatch's Sibirsky Extreme 2012 RR, I figured that if he can do it for a 12,000 mile trip, I could certainly do it for an 80 mile trip. On the few sections I've plotted out, I've only encountered one problem, which was a locked gate and fencing that didn't show up on Google maps. I couldn't find an easy way around and had to reroute back to the road.