Dusty Butt 2013

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by Kokopelli, Sep 25, 2012.

1. cooneyr

cooneyr terra firma rider

Oddometer:
    Your not wrong but this is the bit that appeals to me. You can be a hero for your mates by doing a half hour moto with the biggest wipps (or whatever the lingo is) it if you want to do something where you only really have yourself to battle, then try riding for 12-15 hours a day. Better still I reckon a Dakar is more about the rider being able to keep their head in the right space as much as the bike and their riding skills.

FYI second para on the rider prep page
    Each to their own but hare and tortoise come to mind. Fast pace with many stops is less efficient I reckon than more regular pace with minimal stops. The route has been designed so that you might have a bit of nice crusy gravel/seal, then a tricky/challenge bit, bit more gravel, etc etc. Means you get a rest after each tricky bit so don't chuck out the anchor just cause your a little knackered, go into cruse mode when you get to the next nice bit of gravel or seal. Then again as a Norfie you might be a little distracted by the scenery and want to stop for a pic or two :wink: There are three spots with primo views of Mt Cook along the route (assuming the weather plays the game).

Re latte - I don't drink coffee at all so sorry your on your own there. I can't help even if I wanted too.

Cheers R
  2. cooneyr

Oddometer:
    excuses excuses. We really know you were just trying out the KLR water wings. :lol3
  3. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Yeah, right!

Oddometer:
    That's all we drink north of the Bombay hills.....:lol3

Don't worry, I'll be all right. Coffee is not a good idea on a ride like this, anyway. Plain water is the way to go and having some Musli bars handy is not wrong either. From my experience, it's better to stop before I am completely stuffed. A couple of minutes of walking around is all I need,

If started riding my mountain bike to get my fitness up again, that's better than going for long rides on the GS.
  4. Padmei

Padmei enamoured

Oddometer:
    Good stuff Ryan. On the KB thread it seemed fuel containers, luggage etc were the main concerns. It was my exprience the other day where I was a bit knackered & started to let the bike drive me rather than me drive the bike that got me thinking about the DB.

Don't worry koko you'll be hanging out for coffees - & when you get them they'll taste gooood...
  5. cooneyr

Oddometer:
    Take ya thermet and have a brew up!
  6. SpeedoJosh

SpeedoJosh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Still looking for a bike to rent for the ride. If anyone has a spare they wouldn't mind renting out, let me know. Looking for a 250-400cc.

-Josh
  7. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Yeah, right!

Oddometer:
    Yamaha TTR250 1998

Racing Dave is doing it on a NXR125, so maybe you can get one of those cheaper.
  8. SpeedoJosh

SpeedoJosh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The "excluded" on road cost is kind of a deal breaker. Hoping I could find something with it included, so I can show up and buy. Then sell in a month when I am leaving. There are a couple on TradeMe that I have my eye on. Just scared to do the deal without seeing and riding it first.

-Josh
  9. clintnz

clintnz Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer:
    Post up on here or on kiwibiker if you want someone to go have a look at a bike for you. I certainly don't mind checking over a bike for you if you find something near me that looks good.

Cheers
    Clint
  10. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Yeah, right!

Oddometer:
    Currently I am riding my mtb every evening, to get my fitness back up. Unfortunately, I have also increased my food intake, but hey, I deserve it. Anyway, a couple of days ago I went up the hill again, it's pretty hilly around here, and a guy on a race bike passed my easily. No problem I thought, he is on a race bike. Today, on the same spot, a young guy went past me at twice my speed and even faster than the guy on the race bike. The problem is, that he was on an mtb, an old shitty one for all I could tell.

So now I've got nothing. I could say that I turned fifty a couple of weeks ago, but for all I know, some 70 year old is going to blow me into the weeds on his push bike, tomorrow.

The road to fitness is a hard one, but I am not giving up yet. The DB, not the beer, is a good incentive to keep working on it.
  11. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Yeah, right!

Oddometer:
    Should I book a ferry? I'll be crossing around 6pm on the 16th.

Oh, and I had a look for a fire extinguisher. Couldn't find anything light. I used to have an aerosol type that was pretty light, but couldn't find anything like it.

I found these on trade me, they would be perfect. If anyone asked, I could truthfully reply, yes I do, I even have two.

[​IMG]

I just found this at cycletreads, that should be good enough.

[​IMG]
  12. Padmei

Padmei enamoured

Oddometer:
    Those look a bit heavy to me but nice mounting clips. I'm just going to take a can of CRC. That way I can lube the chain & if there's a fire it should be able to put it out - it's wet.
  13. innathyzit

innathyzit AKA Woodman

Oddometer:

That is the stupidist thing I have ever heard.

You don't have a chain.
  14. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Yeah, right!

Oddometer:
    He has at least one :-). But it's easier to lube that with the on-board oil supply.

If there is a fire, I'll just roll in it, isn't that what you are supposed to do?
  15. TransalperNZ

TransalperNZ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Had mine since round about the second Dusty when it was up out of Nelson (actually got it for the Capital Coast Adventure and then carried on DB1Ks as well) and it is a 300gm size, looks a lot like that. Just pressed the test spot and it's still hard so still good to go according to the label.
  16. McCardigan

McCardigan happy Budda

Oddometer:
    Crossing fingers and toes:D

All is looking good for me attending the Dusty Butt.

Have just spent the best part of a weekend at Clint and Rosies home giving miss Heidie some much needed TLC, my x-mass presents from Moto Bins arrived Friday, Santa did well:clap:clap considering that I only ordered them about 14 days ago!

All is ready to go, had a great shake down run this afternoon from Clint's to the Grand hotel in Wanganui.
    Here to Friday.

After last week riding around the Hawkes Bay area, 2500kms 60+% gravel, on what I call looe ball bearing gravel, the Motu was a breeze, and having a couple of liedowns (at very low speed) and I did have the front wash out a few times( tightens up the sphinchter(sp?) real quick, I would like to fit a Conti TKC 80 for the front for more rolloy polly gravel/bluestone. Who stocks them and where? Not cocerned re saving a few dollars. My new Metzler Tourance front is great, wore out the 1st one in 5 weeks, and I can push that hard on tar and smooth dirt, but it is a little bit unnerving when it wants to twitch side to side.

The rear is holding up well. The bike tyre that is! Shinlinko(sp). At a $140 fitted It is good value.
  17. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Yeah, right!

Oddometer:
    I had bought one for the CCA a few years back, I think it's on a trail somewhere.......(no there wasn't a fire).
  18. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Yeah, right!

Oddometer:
    I went into Cycletreads the Monday after you'd been there and had a set fitted. I really love them on the R80, if only they were a bit cheaper.
  19. Box'a'bits

Box'a'bits In need of repair Supporter

Oddometer:
    If that was the last one, it might be the free one that I scored out Makairo way on the south coast...:D
  20. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Yeah, right!

Oddometer:
    I bought this from Supercheap for $31. If you find it on the trail, it's mine and I expect it back along with the other stuff in my tail-bag.

[​IMG]

It's still not as small as it could be, but then, I have a 24 litre tank and it it's not for putting out cigarettes.