Hampton Roads Chatter

Discussion in 'Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge' started by roger123, Dec 25, 2008.

1. Weldman

Weldman Long timer

Oddometer:
    near Kempsville Rd. called Metro locksmithing I think it is. He's made a Suzuki key I couldn't have made anywhere else in the area, and also a Harley key for like $20 cheaper than what the dealer wanted. I highly recommend this shop. They're good and they're cheap! :clap

2. B.E. Coyote

B.E. Coyote (Super-Genius)

Oddometer:
    I have had good luck with Keys West on Holland and S. Plaza. Does it need a special blank?
  3. ChildlikeWonder

ChildlikeWonder Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What am I doing wrong with my seating position that top of my buttcrack is sore? Or is that just the result of doing 430 miles in the first 5 days of having a motorcycle?
  4. roger123

roger123 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Oh, this could so many places.....................

Are you wearing pants? Maybe its wind burn?
  5. NatetheGreat

NatetheGreat Adventurer

Oddometer:
    New rider here dropping a line to introduce myself from VA Beach. TheWorstKind was my MSF instructor and I blame him for hooking me on yet ANOTHER expensive hobby. I am currently in the process of researching which adv bike I'd like to replace my Vulcan 800 with (Don't particularly care for the riding position on the cruisers and do a lot of camping so don't want a bike that limits me to pavement). Hopefully that plan will come to fruition by Spring of next year.
  6. ChildlikeWonder

Oddometer:
    Can't be wind burn - wear a Rev'It Tornado pant zipped to my Rev'it jacket. It's something wrong with my riding posture. Though two friends have told me that's just what happens to new riders who ride for long trips and that eventually it will stop happening, so maybe it's nothing.
  7. NatetheGreat

NatetheGreat Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Not to get to personal but is it just red and irritated or do you have any bumps/swelling/inflammation? I had a similar issue along time ago and it turned out to be a rather common condition called a pilonidal cyst It was coined "jeep seat disease" during WWII
  8. ChildlikeWonder

Oddometer:
    No, not red or inflammed, just hurts when I bend to a new angle. Feels like a knot in my back...except further down.
  9. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    heck, after 430, the ADV guys start looking for a place to stop for lunch.
  10. moymurfs

moymurfs Truth has become unacceptable.

Oddometer:

Coccyx...a.k.a. your tailbone. You need to get the pressure off of it. Trust me, I'm all to familiar. Mine is broken and has been for years:cry. Posture and seat are the antagonizers. A cruiser style bike would definitely do me in. Your hips need to roll forward so you are sitting on your butt and not near the top of it. If the pain is at the top of your crack then it's the coccyx if the pain is across your entire lower back then it's muscles.
  11. tommyhof

tommyhof Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well you'll get a lot of opinions................but the best is a Vstrom......Wee or Vee :D
  12. Falcon86

Falcon86 I just work here.

Oddometer:
    I had 5 of these, last one required me to travel across the country for a new surgery that has left me problem free for the last 5 years. My problem now is the massive amount of scar tissue left from each surgery. Guys think I'm a puss when I need to stop but little do they know. It's also why I stand when riding much of the time. I wouldn't wish a pilonidal cyst on even my worst enemy.

Yeah man, I think it's supporting muscles. After ski season last year I decided to take up in line skating to stay in shape over summer. Bought a nice pair of skates and made it about a third of a mile before my lower back was spasming. There are so many support muscles down there trying to keep your core stable. One thing alot of us do is tend to get real stiff when riding. Stiff core, death grip on bars, etc. Try to avoid that, stay loose. Take a deep breath and relax whenever you can think of it. Also, more pics, or BMW was just a rental.
  13. ChildlikeWonder

Oddometer:
    Pics you say? :D

[​IMG] (not a rental!)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

^ Whenever Fuji Replaces their X-Pro1, I plan to get back into photography (sold all my real gear, can't take a good cell phone pic to save my life)

And finally, when my friend told me to make a pose, I had no idea how quickly he could get a picture with his iphone :(:

[​IMG]
  14. B.E. Coyote

Oddometer:
    Tommy is probably right. You are looking at 4-5 hours of pavement to get to the mountains so you don't want too much of a dirt bike if you plan on riding there.

Stroms are fairly inexpensive compared to others, great street bikes and can handle most of the FS roads and Jeep trails in the National Forest.

Find a used one. After a year or two you may decide to get something more off-road worthy and you should be able to recoup most of the money you have in the Strom or keep it while adding a second bike.
  15. B.E. Coyote

Oddometer:
    Regarding seats and butts.

If this bike is a keeper and you will be putting on many many miles you might want to have Russel Day long saddles rebuild your seat. It is not cheap but worth it in my opinion.

I have a few 1,000 mile days under belt with no butt pain what so ever.

Some people don't like the looks but if you are into function over form it shouldn't matter.

The wings take a lot of pressure off the rest of your butt.

[​IMG]
  16. Henderson757

Henderson757 Living the American Dream

Oddometer:
    That looks fabulous !!!!
  17. BlakKrauStudios

BlakKrauStudios I'm cool... right?

Oddometer:
    Plus, when the final drive asplodes, it looks like the seat is cupped perfectly to catch all your tears. :lol3
  18. poondangle

poondangle Slow

Oddometer:
    Hey gang, im back to the land of the living after 2 weeks battling pneumonia, so I'm here to guage interest in our trip out to the Hatfield McCoy trails June 14, 15, 16, and 17. So far I think Daang and I are fully committed. Since we're only a month away, I wanted to go ahead and lock down a cabin if we get enough people. I was thinking about staying in Pineville, giving us access to Indian Ridge, pinnacle creek, and Pocahontas. Trails Lodging seems to have pretty reasonable rates. Anyway, if I can get some firm commitments this week, I'll go ahead and place the deposit on an appropriately sized cabin. Those 3 trail systems total over 200 miles, plus the other systems are within striking distance from there. there should be enough variety for all types of bikes and skill levels. Who's in?

I'm only bringing one bike, so there's room in my truck for another as well if you don't feel like riding all the way there.
  19. DAAANG

DAAANG LambBoyFilms@YouTube

Oddometer:
    CANT WAIT!

Just a heads up for anyone that doesnt know much about HM trails. Dirt bikes are definitely the best thing to ride but there are plenty of trails doable on big bikes even 1200's. The trails are all numbered and colored in difficulty so you can avoid the tough stuff easily if needed. In the towns you can ride dirt bikes/ATVs on the streets with no tag/headlights ect.

I highly recommend you join us if youve ever considered going out there.
  20. TheWorstKind

TheWorstKind In the Wind

Oddometer:
    Hi Nate. Buy something you don't mind crashing off-road. No crashing allowed on the street, but you will fall over/backwards/forwards/multi-directional quite a bit on dirt. So, you will also need to be able to pick the bike up.......