f800GS centerstand

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by 1B1M5W0, Oct 28, 2008.

1. mrleadfoot67

mrleadfoot67 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My only complaint is that is the first thing to drag when you're cornering hard. Caught me by suprise the first time it happened, but I added a few turns of preload...actually a few turns from max preload and now I drag my pegs instead of the centerstand. It's functional which is all that matters to me.
  2. Harry Swan

Harry Swan One more time

Oddometer:
    SW Motech has a centerstand they claim won't reduce lean angle ... http://f800depot.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=49_108&products_id=224
    From F800 Depot:
    The must-have accessory for sport-touring! Greatly eases basic chain maintenance, tire changes, parking, and bike cleaning. Super-strong steel construction features typical German design and high engineering standards. Superb integration with the factory exhaust and sidestand components -- retain all existing features without sacrificing lean angle or clearances.

It appears to address my concerns ... I might have gone with one with of these.
  3. Motoriley

Motoriley Still riding like crap after all these years.

Oddometer:
    Those feet look kinda pointy though.

4. labatts1999

labatts1999 Adventurer

Oddometer:

I didn't get the centerstand on my bike when I ordered it :huh but ordered it a month ago. Still haven't gotten it. I looked at that stand before ordering the bmw version and thought the same thing. Way too pointy. Thought it would sink in anything soft. The bmw stand may be ugly as hell but it doesn't look like it sink in soft dirt.

~mc
  5. Bike4Fun

Bike4Fun Smooth IS Fast

Oddometer:
  6. DolphinJohn

DolphinJohn Caveman

Oddometer:

haven't done it yet.

kinda forgot about it, but I washed the bike today and noticed
    the stand is looking pretty scraped up, so I think I'll go
    ahead and order the stuff and try it out.
    I'll take some pics when I do.

I know, I'm a slacker.
  7. Harry Swan

Harry Swan One more time

Oddometer:
    In really soft stuff I wouldn't use the centerstand, but most of the time off pavement there's just a little soft on top of hard pack and that would work well with this kind of stand. The SW Motech is a lot like my R1150GS centerstand which has worked pretty well off road for me. Always a good idea to avoid using it in gravel or pine needles though....
  8. Damir

Damir AKA Pudla

Oddometer:
    Hi, any new experiences with Motech centerstand?

Mounting instructions on their web says : “Cornering and ground clearance can be reduced by using a centre stand.”

Has anyone “real” problems while cornering?
  9. itsatdm

itsatdm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I guess no one has had to change a flat front tire with the BMW center stand. The fulcrum point on the BMW is so far to the rear that I needed a jack under the bike to elevate the front wheel. Offroad, it is going to take a heap of rocks on the back to elevate the front.
  10. HMarc

HMarc Hoseur

Oddometer:
    I just mounted a SW-MOTECH centerstand on my F800GS. Very nice build quality, gorgeous thick powdercoating. The OEM centerstand looks cheap in comparison, even though it costs about 50% more than the SW-MOTECH. The two springs were a bitch to get on, but once I figured out a trick, it went very smoothly.

The bike pops right up on the centerstand, putting my right foot on the stand and right hand on the left passenger peg mount (I'll need my gloves on when the exhaust is hot). Pushes easily off the centerstand.

I'm about 160lbs, 5' 7" so I was concerned about how tough it would be. I bought a first-gen R1200GS in April of '04, the one with the centerstand WAY back (60/40 instead of 50/50 like the R11xxGSes) and it was really tough for me to centerstand it until I bought a Wunderlich lifting handle. Even then it required effort and technique -- the SW-MOTECH centerstand is a piece of cake in comparison.

I haven't loaded it with luggage, so I imagine it will get more difficult in that case. I also haven't ridden with it yet, but from looking at the angles from a ways behind the bike, it appears that the pegs or sidestand will drag before the centerstand.

I, too, am concerned about the small feet on the centerstand when parking on dirt/gravel. We'll see. I can always take it off and weld larger feet on it if necessary.

Regarding changing the front tire, Helge Pederson suggests using the side stand and the luggage to pivot the bike on the rear wheel and side stand with the luggage rack against a luggage box on the ground (or a stump or big rock). He has a video of how to do it that is worth watching. Looks like the easy way to remove the front wheel on the side of the road/trail.
  11. rokboat

rokboat All those who are lost do not wander

Oddometer:
    Has anyone tried modifying/shortening the stock BMW stand as it has much better feet than the motech option? I'm figuring about 3" to clear rear footpegs. any comments???
  12. Motoriley

Motoriley Still riding like crap after all these years.

Oddometer:
    Flip up passenger peg, boot on stand tip, grab passenger rail or luggage mount, pull up nad to the rear while applying weight to the stand and deploy. Easy as pie. Spend an hour working on your technique and it will be less time than finding a welder, removing the stand, welding, painting, reinstalling. Once you got the knack you can do it in flip flops.

13. TastyPants

TastyPants Harasshole

Oddometer:
    If you are having trouble fully loaded it is much easier if you turn the rear shock adjustment ALL the way clockwise. It lifts the rear of the bike and makes it easier to pop onto the center stand. It's a pain, but it always works for me when I'm too tired or the bike is fully loaded.
  14. Gumbeaux

Gumbeaux The Chameleon Supporter

Oddometer:
    So...what's the trick with these springs? I am struggling to get the springs attached. Tried everything I can think of, from a makeshift pulley system, to using a screwdriver much like the instructions that show the "spring installation tool"...
  15. tipler

tipler Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have the SW stand. to install I hooked both springs to the front and then, using a loop of wire I had laying around I pulled back the other spring hoops and hooked them one at a time. If you need leverage for the second one you can make a loop in the wire and then lever it back.
  16. jessehere

jessehere Ridin'

Oddometer:
    sw motech stand wont work in the soft stuff. but i still like it better then OEM ram horns
    [​IMG]
  17. Willwork4F800GS

Willwork4F800GS Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I actually created a loop using a medium zip tie, basically did the same thing as tipler, just a different tool!

-glenn
  18. themobb

themobb Is this thing on???

Oddometer:
    :ear :ear My SW-Motech CS just arrived today. Will install tomorrow. :clap
    Thanks for all the comments!

Lance

PS: Well, I couldn't wait until tomorrow... Bolted up in about five minutes. Spent another hour futtzing with the spring.
    I guess my zip ties aren't as strong as some. Even tripled up, they kept stripping out before reaching the pin. I ended
    up using picture hanger wire; 15 lb, wrapped into about four loops. Worked fantastic! Got the springs on in about five
    minutes after finding the wire... :ear

Works perfectly!
  19. CheckerdD

CheckerdD Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thank You for the advice. I bought the installation tool for my SW Motech stand, but it would not work because of my bash plate. The picture wire did the trick. Make sure you have some with more than 50 lbs test weight or it might break. I tied mine to the spring and a piece of rebar which I used as a fulcrum placed under the rear wheel. I used a tire spoon to wedge the spring in after it was pulled back enough. Once it was set up it worked like a snap. I do think the SW Motech center stand is better than stock. Don't bother with the special tool. You can get the stand at www.twistedthrottle.com Dave
  20. RamblerTim

RamblerTim Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am interested in purchasing a centerstand for my BMW F800GS. I am open to the BMW brand or the after market versions. I am an excellent buyer. Would you like to sell your centerstand?

Thanks,