Quad Biking in Antarctica

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by travelingaustralian, May 11, 2013.

1. IslandMonkey

IslandMonkey inselaffe

Oddometer:
    I've only just discovered this thread but thanks very much for posting it. It's absolutely beautiful and riveting.
  2. Lacedaemon

Lacedaemon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Could you explain what this means to a petrochemically challenged fan?
  3. ferals5

ferals5 Grumpa

Oddometer:
    Jet fuels have a much lower freeze temp than diesel fuels but they are similar so it can be run in diesel engines...the down side of jet A1 and kero is they have no lubricant value which would lead to premature injector/fuel pump wear/failure.
    So I assume travelingaustralian means they are adding lube additives to the fuel.
  4. travelingaustralian

travelingaustralian Globe Trotting

Oddometer:
    Ferals hit the nail on the head. The filter that we use is placed before the fuel pumps and as the Jet A1 is sucked through the filter the fuel is then given lubricating properties. With out this lubrications injectors and high pressure common rail pumps would just wear out.
  5. travelingaustralian

Oddometer:
    When I arrived in Antarctica in November (2012) Davis Station looked a whole lot different than it does right now (July) From our living area we could see open ocean and an array of animals and icebergs. Once the sea ice formed everything picked up and left.
    Here are some pictures from when I arrived.

The Aurora Australis class A ice breaker. Owned by P&O and used for resupplying all 3 Australian bases here in Antarctica.
    [​IMG]

Davis Station from about 2km's off shore. This was my first glimpse of my home for the next 12 months[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

At the early stages we were able to get out in IRB's amongst the Ice bergs and wild life.
    [​IMG]

Sometimes they would come and have a look at us.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This Iceberg reminds me of a sleeping Dragon.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Over summer the weather is just incredible!! No wind and the bluest of blue water!!
    [​IMG]

The next 2 pictures were taken from the Aurora Australis way out at sea. The Ice berg would have been over 200m high. The first picture is the far left corner of the next picture. This gives you an idea just how big they can get. It would have been maybe 2Km's long?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    SmilinJoe likes this.
  6. /dev/null

/dev/null Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This thread is amazing, thank you for posting it and keeping it up!
  7. jtb

jtb Long timer

Oddometer:
  8. travelingaustralian

Oddometer:
    Well had 2 good bits of news today. First up I have been given the all clear to go back to full duties after I hurt my back just over 2 weeks ago. This is good news, because it means Ill still be able to fly to Mawson station for the summer season. I needed to be given the all clear or I would have been heading back to Australia straight from here.
    Second bit of good news was my second order from rally raid has turned up at my parents place. I ordered the Evo2 fairing and tanks from John at Rally Raid UK. I have also ordered a heap of other gear for the build up of my RTW bike. I called John today to ask about the new tractive 300mm shock. I am looking at increasing the travel to 300mm all round. I asked how they were going with the development of the front rods and springs. He is testing the new front suspension next month at one of the rallies in North Africa, so looking forward to his feed back. I think after I get the suspension Ill have everything I need to build my RTW KTM 690r. Everything that has given the 690 trouble will be fixed up for this trip.:clap:clap
    Well thats all for now I think I'm ready for a :slurp
  9. 12Bong13

12Bong13 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just discovered this thread. It is amazing, keep it up!:clap
  10. jtb

jtb Long timer

Oddometer:
    Imagine if we were able to travel back in time 100 years and speak to Mawson in Antarctica and tell him that people from all over the world would be speaking to another young aussie just 100 years into the future via the magic of the interwebs. AND while he was there the said young aussie would be buying parts for his motorcycle so that he could could build it up to spec on his return for a RTW trip?!?!?!?!?!?:huh I say he wouldn't believe it.

[​IMG]
    Dougie MAWSON
  11. travelingaustralian

Oddometer:

Its crazy really to think just how far technology has come in just 30 years!!!!
    My father worked at Mawson in 1983/84 and my mother was not able to hear from him for the whole year!!! And here I am having a chat with someone on the other side of the world from the bottom of the world!!
    Its just amazing!!
  12. travelingaustralian

Oddometer:
    Have to love family! My mum sent me an email today. She was kind enough to unpack all the gear that arrived from Rally Raid and took pictures for me so I could make sure it was all there. So looking forward to building this bike up!! When the time comes Ill start a build thread.:clap:clap

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
  13. jtb

jtb Long timer

Oddometer:
    Your Mum knows what makes her boy happy! :clap Good on her!:D
  14. travelingaustralian

Oddometer:
    Its been just over a week since we had 48 hours of cyclonic winds. With the winds averaging speeds of 70knots and gusts well over 80. At the time all non essential movements around station were stopped. And for those that did have to go do ops, it was a two person job with a third manning a radio just in case. Visibility was down to being able to see your feet and the blizz line in your hands. What would take 20 minutes to complete normally, took almost 2 hours. Most of this time was just dragging one's self from building to building.
    It has taken 3 days to clear the machines of snow. Every nook and cranny in a machine was packed full of compressed snow!! We had to dig the engine bays out and clear all snow from around any moving part. The herman nelson was used to melt out the remaining snow.

In some of these pictures the snow has covered the walk ways. These walk ways are almost 2 meters off the ground.

Another question I was asked is why do we need large earth moving equipment in Antarctica? If it was not for the heavy equipment we would loose the station to the snow. Click on the bottom picture to watch a quick movie of one days cleanup outside the living quarters.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  15. Lacedaemon

Lacedaemon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow. That video was amazing!
  16. IVAN38

IVAN38 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Brilliant...:thumb
    That looks like has my freezer...:vardy
    At my home there is 40 °C... I shall almost want to come to have a drink with you...:beer
    Thank you for your report :clap
    Impressive
  17. johnno950

johnno950 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Brilliant photos and info,whats the reason for the buildings been painted in the bright colours at base?and how many hours does the mobile earthmoving eqpt do per season.
  18. travelingaustralian

Oddometer:
    The buildings are different colours to make it easier to identify and see. Most of the red buildings are mechanical/service buildings, Blue are the power houses, Yellow are for science/communications and green are living quarters and stores. I think it also has something to do with their history. Years ago they used coloured buildings so now all Australian bases have continued to use colours.

The earthmoving equipment gets about 500Hr a year. Not much when you think how much this sort of equipment gets back home!!
  19. KTMInduro

KTMInduro Off Road Montster Supporter

Oddometer:
    More great photos. :clap

Whats the nature of the scientific work being done at the station ?
  20. Keithert

Keithert Long timer

Oddometer:
    Seeing if your pee can freeze before it hits the ground.