York, PA to Deadhorse, AK 2014

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Litespeed602, Jul 4, 2014.

1. Litespeed602

Litespeed602 Going in Circles

Oddometer:

He and his Concours have now done the Top of the World Highway three times (gravel), The Denali Highway twice (gravel), Dalton Highway to the Arctic Circle (gravel), Dalton Highway to Deadhorse (gravel) and the road to Labrador City (gravel). --:clap:clap:clap:clap

He don't need no stinkin adventure bike!
  2. Litespeed602

Oddometer:
    Thank you, It makes the effort worth it.
  3. Litespeed602

Oddometer:

That's a great idea, we would probably need to make it an overnighter. That works because the cafeteria (all you can eat 24 hours a day) is included in the room rate. Do you think many of the PA riders would show up? :D

The whole bootie was thing was confusing to us country boys. :lol3:lol3:lol3

How is the little one, keeping you awake at night?
  4. Litespeed602

Oddometer:
    I just heard from dannyleo, the guy we met at Adventure Cycle Works with the 800 GS Adventure. He made it to Deadhorse also, started looking at his schedule and decided he had time to leave Deadhorse and ride to Key West and then return to North Carolina. He did 13,500 miles in 30 days! :freaky

I also heard from Steve (2wheelfun.com) and he arrived back home yesterday.
  5. dannyleo

dannyleo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    And I'm still adding up the bills! Not a cheap trip by any means. Motel rooms $199/night in Coldfoot and Deadhorse (split between roommates). Most we paid for gas was $7/gallon in Deadhorse and Canada probably averaged $5+. Throw in a minimum 3 sets of tires and the next thing you know, you're talking about some real money.
    Nttra likes this.
  6. MaxBet

MaxBet Adventurer

Oddometer:

Thank You , You can get up now:rofl:rofl
  7. Litespeed602

Oddometer:
    We leave Wiseman with the help of the mosquitoes, they carried one of my bags out to my bike for me.

We stop at Coldfoot for gas, not dusty here today.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We had heard stories about some riders being medevaced out due to crashes in the past week. At Coldfoot there was a Motoquest Tour group and we met the tour guide who told us he had heard the same thing and that one of them us part of his group. He saw it happen, an 18 wheeler purposely moved over and forced a rider into the soft mud at the edge of the road and down he went. Broken vertebrae. The others lifted out had broken legs. We were glad to make it back safely.

The road, as you can see, is best if you stay in the packed tire groves, get over in that soft stuff and hang on.

[​IMG]

We made it to Yukon Camp and stopped for gas. I guess if you break a window you just put plywood over it.

[​IMG]

Here we met some bicyclist who had left Deadhorse, two of them were headed to Mexico and the other guy was going to Argentina!! :eek1 I'm impressed.
  8. Litespeed602

Oddometer:
    Right across the road is the Information Center.

[​IMG]

Where you can get a Certificate showing that you have crossed the Arctic Circle. See, Steve we told you they gave out certificates. I'll let you touch mine

[​IMG]

And you can ride under the Pipeline,, I like this photo.
    [​IMG]
  9. Litespeed602

Oddometer:
    Has anyone ever had kidney stones? :sick:sick
  10. Litespeed602

Oddometer:

Yes it was costly but I look at it this way, I will forget about how much it cost long before I forget about the great time I had. :dunno
    rbsride365 likes this.
  11. CDCSlim

CDCSlim Rock On

Oddometer:
    So True! Very insightful. I'm impressed.

You asked me a few weeks before you left about how much it cost me to do this trip in 2012. It took me awhile to come up with this answer.
    " I think it cost me about ....., something like that." Really not sure of the cost and really don't care.

The memories of the trip are what remains.
  12. Chisenhallw

Chisenhallw Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer:
    Well I feel like a pussy now! :lol3
  13. 2wheelfun!

2wheelfun! n00b

Oddometer:
    Love the ride report! Great Job guys! To Deadhorse from PA on 2 wheels is an accomplishment no one can take away from you! Glad I was able to meet you and be a small part of your grand adventure! I thoroghly enjoyed our travel together. Take care and look forward to seeing you again.

Steve :clap
  14. AK650

AK650 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    From a transplanted PA boy, great RR guys! It's quite obvious, that you truly appreciate what you're experiencing. Nice job!

Jeff
  15. Ol Man

Ol Man Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    You never want to compute what fun costs.
  16. murdock84

murdock84 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That would be a several days ride to eat!

And the little boy does keep us up some nights still. Still not used to the fact that I can't always just go hop on the bike yet. Maybe I need to get a sidecar?
  17. Litespeed602

Oddometer:

OK, we must stop this now. Anymore and he will not be able to get his helmet on. :wink:
  18. Litespeed602

Oddometer:

I hope my comments didn't seem critical. I respect anyone who manages their money and lives within their means. I think Danny was being informative for anyone who is thinking about doing a trip to this area. He is correct about the cost to visit Alaska and Cananda. I had the advantage of advice from my friends who did this trip 2 years ago. I set aside enough money was prepared to spend all of it.
  19. Litespeed602

Oddometer:
    Steve,

Now that you are a seasoned adventurer what is next? The Road of Bones????:D
  20. Litespeed602

Oddometer:
    We continued south and got to the end of the Dalton. A feeling of satisfaction to be done. I can now put this sticker on my bike, I like the message.

But we have much more to see and do on this ride.

[​IMG]