Power Brake Flushing and Codes

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by erkmania, Feb 18, 2013.

1. erkmania

erkmania I Remain Undeturd

Oddometer:
    (Summary: 2005GS, servo brakes, flushing brakes and codes. Code(s) reset needed?)

Hey folks. I just read the procedure for bleeding the power brake system and learned that the instructions are for the 1150GS. I'm not worried about the bleeding process since I have a decent handle on that. What I really wanted to know was whether a code or codes would be triggered that needed resetting on a 2005 GS. I was told by the dealer that codes WOULD be activated and hence my search. I would expect a code each for the fuel pump controller and the fuel level sender since they would be disconnected during the service if any codes would be triggered. My hope is that the codes are soft and don't cause the dash indicator to light up.

Am I at a point where I need the GS911 for this or can I let the soft codes be? I realize the right answer is buy the GS911, but that's not in my immediate hand of cards.

I will continue searching the web for more info. Thanks for any input and if I blundered by not searching hard enough then please let me know that too. :norton:D
  2. jzeiler

jzeiler ADWrencher

Oddometer:
    I believe yours uses a similar system to that in the K1200LT, servo brakes. This system is self clearing of any faults once they have been corrected. So a flush should not even set a code as I have done dozens of them on the LTs with no issues. Maybe some one with actual 05 GS experiance will chime in but I don't think you have anything to worry about.
  3. erkmania

Oddometer:
    ^^^ Thanks for the quick reply. I think you're right, but I still don't know about the other codes.

I got my ears up.:ear
  4. terryckdbf

terryckdbf Bumbling BackRoad Riders™

Oddometer:
    Never had a code show up on mine. There is a procedure to reset the code without a GS-911 or dealer if ya look in Wisdom.

Keep fluid in it and you will be fine.

Terry
  5. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    If you bleed the brakes correctly, following the Wisdom instructions (even for the R1200), you will not get a code. Your dealer is FOS!

Jim :brow
  6. erkmania

Oddometer:
    ^^^ Thanks. The dealer does have his own motivations. Sadly, his don't mirror mine. :D

No soft codes either?

What's that about a code reset on the 1200's? I haven't heard that one. Please tell.:ear

Once again. Thanks all.
  7. rdwalker

rdwalker Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The procedure is very simple, no codes. It takes more time to prep and clean than to actually do the brakes.

A good tip is to use 3 clear tubes (or 6 tubes) at one time on the modulator, to avoid having to move the drain tube as you move from nipple to nipple. It was suggested here in another thread on this forum - worked very well for me. The servo system is a true one-man job, since the power pump allows easy flushing of the brake circuit, no need for speed bleeders or such.

I just did my '03 RT (servo), '06 GS (servo) and '09 GS (non-servo) and it took me the same amount of time and trouble for each bike. The R1150 and R1200 iABS (servo) systems are the same.

[​IMG]

Off-season is the time to do it, as you pull the bodywork for other service as well.
  8. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    The only code reset that needs to be done is on the 2008 and newer bikes that require the service reminder to be reset. Otherwise, there are none from brake bleeding.

Jim :brow

PS Wow, that photo above! I do it much less complicated.
  9. rdwalker

rdwalker Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's what I thought when I saw it first, too. But I duplicated that setup (actually only used 3 tubes, for just one circuit at a time) and it was surprisingly easier to work with than the normal procedure with a single tube.

The point of that exercise was that I could install the tubes when everything was nice and dry and I could work the nipples without spilling and splashing, without having to move the tubes from one nipple to another.

I know it does look weird, but I am a convert to this method now. :D