KaptinKaos' 2013 990 Baja Build-up

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by kaptinkaos, Apr 17, 2013.

1. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    Thanks again. I assume that this top clamp will NOT interfere with the ignition key, right? I want to retain the steering lock so I don't want to relocate the key to the top of this HDB clamp. I did see one of the top clamps (ADV, not ADVx) that seems to provide holes for switches, etc and does NOT relocate the key switch - that would be my preference, I'm just worried that my key switch in its stock location may become somewhat inaccessible - any idea? Also, I noticed that HDB also offers lower clamps for use as Scotts sub-mounts and it seems like a really inexpensive alternative to replacing the entire top triple clamp with the style that is more common to Scotts mounts. Any thoughts on that? I have been debating a steering damper - not so much for off road though I recognize that it does help but for higher speed travel when I switch to 19/17 wheel setup (reduced trail as a result of the wheel change, etc.) - I do not want high speed wobbles, head-shake, etc later on...

2. kaptinkaos

kaptinkaos Just some nOOb

Oddometer:
    The top clamp you're looking for is http://www.highwaydirtbikes.com/HDB_Shop/index.php?app=ccp0&ns=prodshow&ref=top_clamps_9/8 but they do offer simpler ones under the adv index. I don't think it will interfere with anything as it's quite a bit higher than the key and also not really that extended above the center of the bars. You could email HDB and ask them. They've been extremely helpful in letting me know what I need to get this project to come together, ;) Paul is who I've been speaking with.

As for the Scotts, I'm not sure as I've gone the full fat route and gotten Paige @ Emig Racing to send me a complete triple tree set up in a black finish with a Rev I damper. I will have to drill out the safety screws and relocate it in the tree anyway and with the 3.75" rise (and maybe more) I doubt I will have an issue with anything interfering with the key. HDB does have relocation brackets that bolt right up though and you could use one to put the key at the top of the riser if you want. http://www.highwaydirtbikes.com/HDB_Shop/index.php?app=ccp0&ns=catshow&ref=key_switch_mounts Lol, I usually never take the key out of my bikes... Who's gonna steal something THAT big and THAT dirty? I live in a rural part of town though... It's no DT TO. If you're switching to a 19/17 combo for tires and not running knobbies I don't think you will see the benefits as much out of an off road damper. If you do go with a damper you'd probably be happier with the Rev II/Scotts or something with a return to center if the bike will live primarily on the tarmac. If you're worried about head shake and the like then a damper suited for higher speeds is a sure bet.

http://www.scottsonline.com/Stabili...ID=6163&Year=2009&Size=990&Fred=&BI_ID=316444

$330 for just the stabilizer is a pretty good darn price too, but you might be able to find better! I only went full fat for the 20mm offset and more of an off road damper style. Sure, it's pricey, but it's again one of those things that I skimped on with my F650 and always longed for... Not for head shake, but for fork options and something to take a bit of the BASH out of hitting rocks and stumps. Cheers!

*Edit - The Emig riser spacing should be 106, not 109, my bad... damn phone typo.
  3. kaptinkaos

Oddometer:
  4. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
  5. DSM8

DSM8 Where fun goes to die....

Oddometer:
    Comments below:

6. kaptinkaos

Oddometer:
    Thanks man!

The damper is going to be a Rev I that's coming with the Emig TT's. I really don't want a return to center and the deal I got I couldn't refuse. We'll see if I blow a seal out of it or not and Emig's service is stellar even if I do. Time and punishment will tell, :)

Side Stand: Going with CJ's. Definitely don't need to spend $3000 on new cases unless I'm building a second motor from scratch, lol!

Foot pegs are definitely a "to each their own" thing. I'm not a big fan of SUPER wide pegs, but a bit of extra length is nice. I'm going to try extensions first, but if I break them or find they aren't what I desire I'll try these http://www.ktmtwins.com/ktm-690-950-990-rally-pegs . I won't run alloy pegs of any kind anymore after busting a few sets and nearly losing the use of my knees, :D I too dislike pivotpegs... I've never had a set, but ridden friends bikes with them on and I always feel totally unstable. Yuck.

I like high and straight. I'll need to get the triples on and forks to have a seat on the bike and see what the sweep feels like on the stocks, but I'm still think Pastranas or similar will be more to my liking. I had Maguras on my F650 and loved them, but it's geometry is substantially different. I'm a big fan of sitting on it, closing your eyes and putting your hands where you feel comfortable. Then open them and voila, measure the sweep and rise and you're good. Once my seat changes to the Renazco I may have to do small adjustments, but nothing major. Maybe just lean them forward a bit.

Heated grip are gonna be the glue on ones, yep! Cheap, simple, perfect. The F had stock heated grips so I never really looked into any, but the glue ons under stock grips seem to be the consensus. I son't like the largeness of most heated grips anyway...

I'm gonna leave the windscreen till I ride it 300-400kms in different conditions both off and on each. Then I'll know lower or higher. My bet is on lower... Heard lots of tall guys tell me to just take it right off, LOL! I don't like a portable guillotine anyway, :evil

Cruise control will remain the responsibility of my trust $7 throttle palmer. I've had it forever and none of the newer cruise gadgets seem any better than 6 years ago when I decided against one, lol! KISS principle again.

Thanks for your input man!
  7. DSM8

DSM8 Where fun goes to die....

Oddometer:
    No problem and I cant speak highly enough of CJ's products, he is my first stop when looking for something for the bike. I am running his brace.

Great products great support.

One of these days I will actually get to go on a ride with him....maybe...

:lol3
  8. kaptinkaos

Oddometer:
    Yep! CJ is super great to deal with! He's going through a move at the moment so he might be slow to respond, but he's got everything I needed and is just waiting on the SS switch eliminator to ship my goodies. He's been super helpful!!! I may find myself in his neighborhood some day too on my travels and if I do, beers are on me!
  9. kaptinkaos

Oddometer:
    Highway Dirtbikes... Their customer service is really top notch!

Ordered up some hand guards (cause we all know how long the plastic stock ones last, LOL!), a top clamp with switch holes for the Emig triple tree, some switches and a couple of those freaking awesome "in-the-handguard" mirrors. I used to just strip off my mirrors when on the trails, but that gets old and when I'd forget to take them off I wouldn't stop riding to do it and they'd eventually end in bits... LOL! I'll use Double takes mounted to the bars for longer trips/highway stuff and the ability to still have a small mirror just to count the headlights behind me and make sure everyone is ok will be fantastic! (Nothing more exciting than a 60mph shoulder check to count bikes when on off road... not!) Still counting the days till being reunited with my as yet unflogged 990... 29... :cry

The sunshine is the only thing nice out here... Smile of the day is brought to you by a 100cc Honda (I'm on the #3) chasing a pack of 125's and 150's on a go-cart track. Training days were so much fun cause you could wring the CRAP out of the little bikes and have just as much fun without the risk of big $$$ when you went down (when, not if... we played rougher on these too, lol! Flying elbows and knees were common, but all in fun!) I really hope they sort the track deal in/around Calgary soon... I need a paved play area too!

[​IMG]

Glamour shot after the passes:

[​IMG]

And a vid... this kind of racing is way too much fun...

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=278003345025&set=vb.588450025&type=3

*Edit: Lol, just remembered the zip tie holding my shifter on... That poor little bike.
  10. kaptinkaos

Oddometer:
    Been mulling this over the last few days... While it is almost essential to get rid of the low profile front fender unless you're strictly riding pavement/dusty tracks/dunes, it has it's advantages in the aforementioned areas and also is super handy in the rain... I'm thinking of fabricating two sheet aluminum brackets about 2" tall to relocate the low fender bolts higher, thus shifting the fender up that 2". I did this on the F650 simply by using some spacers on the fork brace (it's not an upside down fork front end). I still managed to fill it once, but in all fairness it was an extreme exception (hail storm on a dust trail, LOL!). I will most likely have the low fender off for the majority of the time and still use a high fender, but for long trips/desert/dusty conditions I'd prefer to have it on.

Has anyone else fabricated their own relocation brackets for the low fender? Successfully? A pic of the Dak chugging along in the muck:

[​IMG]

I also leaned down the low fender on the sides to aid the tire to clean itself out. Dang, that pic was a long time ago... before most of the tear down on the bike even, LOL! March in the Rockies isn't a lot of fun unless you have a twisted sense of humor!

*Edit: I think raising the front fender may be folly now that I think about it more... It might get crushed by the triple tree, lol! I'll have to check clearances when the forks are empty and I can bottom them out.
  11. kaptinkaos

Oddometer:
    Well, I've always been a fan of having something to ride while the "other bike" is in pieces being worked on and I felt the 990 needed a little sister. Something to train on, something to blow some stink off... Except it HAD to be street legal and still rough & tumble. I hate putting a bike on a trailer... But now I have a track bike that is street legal! I think it will suit me just fine for what I need it for. 2008 KTM 450EXC

[​IMG]

:) I have the best friends ever... The guy buying my Dak went and scooped this for me when I found it on Kijiji. Gotta love it when you know someone else who likes bikes as much as you do! I get to ship out early so instead of 26 days to go now I only have 9!!!! WOOP WOOP!!! :clap
  12. kaptinkaos

Oddometer:
    Got in touch with him and started planning out the graphics based off this pic. It's not going to be flashy, no free advertising and I'm going to keep it mostly white. I really just wanna cover that "limited edition" crap and have something to keep the plastics looking sort of nice, lol!

[​IMG]

Definitely going to be a Dakar/Toureg on there somewhere and a KTM going across. Not sure exactly what it will look like yet. Maybe even a world map in the back ground? Any suggestions?
  13. kaptinkaos

Oddometer:
    Maybe something like this?

[​IMG]

P.S. - My photoshop skills suck...
  14. rossguzzi

rossguzzi Started on Montesa.

Oddometer:
    I like that. But white is so hard to keep looking good.
  15. kaptinkaos

Oddometer:
    Ahahaha! Keep it looking good? Depends on what your perspective is on good I suppose... Good to me means dirty, muddy, scratched, used looking and in general, not shiny. ;) It's a bike, not a diamond ring!
  16. kaptinkaos

Oddometer:
    Keep in mind these aren't from Crispy, just ideas I'm tossing around and playing with in photoshop. In the end the vinyl is to keep the plastics sorta nice over time, not for a show and shine, ;)

With a map?

[​IMG]

Without the Dakar figure?

[​IMG]
  17. brents347

brents347 Trusting my Cape...

Oddometer:
    I really like the look of the map. The Dakar nomad just GOES on these bikes so well because it is such a part of their heritage, but in this case I think it takes too much away from the map.

Looking good.
  18. rossguzzi

Oddometer:
    I like the second one, but perhaps a small Dakar Nomad under the KTM would look good. The map looks great.
  19. kaptinkaos

Oddometer:
    Like so?

[​IMG]

I kinda like it too... The map is super wicked. Alberta is where I live and it will be right under my butt!

I need a bigger garage... However, the F650GSPD is leaving soon, :cry

[​IMG]
  20. rossguzzi

Oddometer:
    Yeh I recon thats better. When your sat on it all the features can be seen now.