Preparing a bike for winter

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by leftshark, Sep 26, 2012.

1. leftshark

leftshark Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    St. Albert Alberta and too many other places
    Just getting ready to put the bike in the garage for winter. Anything I should know for prepping her for a few months slumber other than a little fuel stabilizer and a trickle charger?
  2. Rinty

Rinty Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Change the oil, perhaps, and put it away. I wouldn't worry about fuel stabilizer. And Saskatoon's nice and dry, so you won't have any corrosion.
  3. Kiwi Tinkerer

Kiwi Tinkerer Ross

Oddometer:
    Prep for winter. make sure the hot grips and heated vest are working.
    Does not get so cold here.
  4. machinebuilder

machinebuilder Long timer

Oddometer:
    Snow tires

I don't have much "winter" my riding picks up after the hot summer
  5. Loutre

Loutre Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer:
    yeah get some chains on them :lol3
  6. leftshark

Oddometer:
    Surely you jest but there is a guy across the street from me with a KLR he rides through the winter. Think he runs studs. Think my GS might be a little poky for that. And I've already broken my ribs this year. Fortune has not done me well do far. Lol
  7. Rinty

Rinty Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When I was a kid, I used to ride year round on my Cushman and later, a Lambretta. I used them to carry newspapers to my paper route. It was no fun at 30 below. But at least those machines had a low centre of gravity.

Riding a KLR in a Saskatoon winter; I can't imagine that. :lol3

None of my 4 stroke powered machines are fussed about running on old gas, but my 2 stroke machines could be cranky. However, a couple of years ago I started using Opti oils, and no more crankiness. In fact, my Stihl weed whip runs just fine on three year old gas. With Opti, you can mix it 100:1, and I am now running my Toro snowblower on 80:1 mix with the Opti.
  8. Reaver

Reaver Hasta luego

Oddometer:
    My biggest issue with winter storage is mice! They love the snorkel's secret passageways and the air filter is a great place to build a nest. Under the back of the seat where alarm would go is a great place too. Had to do a wiring repair one day. I jam rags into the air intake holes and take the seat off for storage. That and Rat Poison.

As for fuel stabilizer, I never use it. I know it's much warmer in Southern Ontario and I usually get to ride at least once every winter month so I don't bother. The Dealership I worked at part time never did either. The used bikes were filled with premium gas and the batteries charged once a month. I've seen a few used bikes sit in the showroom for 3 yrs that start right up and run fine. The new bikes are treated the same and often sit for 6 months.

Putting the bike on the centre stand removes the weight from the rear tire/suspension and helps prevent flat spots but that's not a real issue. Change the oil if it's due but modern engines don't pollute the oil anywhere near as much as the old carbureted ones did so acid corrosion isn't an issue either.

Spending too many winter hours reading RR's and ordering farkles is the real problem! :eek1
  9. deguoren

deguoren 该出手时就出手

Oddometer:
    There are different opinions around regarding petrol in the tank.
    An old school steel tank would be best filled up to the rim for storing the bike.

A plastic tank like the GS should be empty (so people say).

Mine was full with E10 petrol last winter, dint do any noticeable harm. Petrol with a higher ethanol content might be an advantage as this kind of petrol does not separate so easily. It keeps the water in solution.
    Due to condensation water will accumulate in the tank.

(bitty knowledge)
  10. CheckerdD

CheckerdD Long timer

Oddometer:
    I can still remember January 1976. They guy who later became the owner of Trails End BMW in Fairbanks rode an R60 BMW from Fairbanks to Prudhoe Bay Alaska and back, then south down the Alcan. I was living in Fairbanks that year and he was the talk of the town. Aside from the usual mechanical things to keep the bike running in temperatures of 60 below, dry gas and lighter oil, he kept his face shield from fogging by adapting a skin divers snorkel to vent into the back of his coat so he could breath through it. I think he plugged up his nose. He also over inflated his tires so they would not crack from flexing at minus 60. I still consider that to be one of the ten most epic BMW rides ever.

As for the question presented. Change the oil because it becomes acid with use and charge the battery periodically. Most agree fill the gas tank completely to reduce condensation and use Stable in the gas. Dave
  11. EPMD

EPMD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Easiest method is to do nothing and ride year round.

(Get heated gear.)
  12. Kiwi Tinkerer

Kiwi Tinkerer Ross

Oddometer:
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/NNYhl4BCh98" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  13. eddyturn

eddyturn Eternal Wannabe Supporter

Oddometer:
    Boy, no shit.
  14. leftshark

Oddometer:
    Riding year round is less fun at -40. But if it thrills you.....
  15. 8thdwarf

8thdwarf perfect,just perfect

Oddometer:
    move to SoCal. then you don't have to worry about stashing the beast for the winter.... cuz there is no winter here :rofl
  16. DrydenRider

DrydenRider Sun Seeker

Oddometer:
    With mine I filled it with stabilized premium fuel and put it in the shed covered up.

Took the batteries out last year but have decided to leave them in and put the tender on them to freshen them once or twice during the winter