M72dx

Discussion in 'Hack Vendors' started by Sparrowhawkdesign, Mar 31, 2011.

1. ClearwaterBMW

ClearwaterBMW The Examiner Supporter

Oddometer:
    well... i hope there are maps that tell of places like that... :D
    because, could surely never pass one of those gates

as for the dismantling... not sure i have the ability to do so
    it'll be ok, but i'm sure there will be some "limitations" as to where i can go on that "road less traveled"
  2. ClearwaterBMW

Oddometer:
    one more thing...
    because my desire to carry 2 small kids, side-by-side in that 4" wider sidecar exceeds my need to travel through narrow gates, by a WIDE margin, i'm thrilled that jay and barry at DMC decided to create the DX model.
    my garage is all ready to park her... if she'd only she get here
  3. NortwestRider

NortwestRider TRIPOD ADVENTURER !!

Oddometer:
    GARAGE.!!!,must be nice !!.Good looking rig..HAVE FUN WITH IT !!!!!!!!!.I have been out to DMC a few times ( only 30 miles from me) and I know some people don't really like Jay,but I found him to be a very nice guy and Barry is the MAN !!!.
  4. ClearwaterBMW

Oddometer:
    well... you've got to have a garage around these parts...
    to darn hot
    and i'm only 2 blocks from the (salt) water
    not too good on stuff, in the long run

i'm glad you said those nice things about JAY and BARRY
    they were a pleasure to work with in MY eyes, as well
    and i truly think they outdid themselves with our rigs
  5. GScotty

GScotty Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello,

Sorry to drag up a thread from June, but I am looking into hacking my F650GS (2007 single).

My brother owned a 1984 Moto Guzzi California II with a Velorex sidecar. I rode it and loved it. I also worked on the carburetors a lot! I have a pic of me flying the empty chair in a 360 in a large parking lot. The only bad thing was it bogged on steep upgrades and in heavy headwinds (Wyoming especially) and that made it a bear on the freeway.

How suitable is the M72 for a 50hp F650? Empty weight with a spoked wheel would be a good starting point. I like the look of the M72 and would like a seat and trunk instead of playing enduro sidecar racer with the platform and handrail.

Thanks,
    Scott
  6. jaydmc

jaydmc Long timer

Oddometer:
    My demo bike last winter was an F650GS single with our M72D sidecar, it worked really well, Another inmate now owns it and has posted photo's on the site in several places.
    For your bike not only do we make the sidecar but we also offer an independent brake pedal for the brake as well as a leading link front end.
    Jay G
    DMC sidecars
    www.dmcsidecars.com
    866-638-1793

Attached Files:

7. jaydmc

jaydmc Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here is another photo of my last F650GS rig
    Jay G
    DMC sidecars
    www.dmcsidecars.com
    866-638-1793

Attached Files:

8. jaydmc

jaydmc Long timer

Oddometer:
    I found this bike to be a lot of fun, it was ok out on the highway and a blast in the snow.
    Jay G
    DMC sidecars
    www.dmcsidecars.com

Attached Files:

9. 1920BSMK1SV

1920BSMK1SV Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Second Star to the Right Straight on till Morning
    Anyone know if DMC do a sidecar for the uk market ? ie on the left of a machine said machine a 2012 R1200GSA ?
  10. jaydmc

jaydmc Long timer

Oddometer:
    We are taking orders for spring delivery.
    Of course our steering modifications and car wheel set up works as these to not matter which side the sidecar is mounted on.
    Jay G
    DMC sidecars
    866-638-1793
    jay@dmcsidecars.com
  11. 1920BSMK1SV

1920BSMK1SV Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks looking forward to my UK spec one arriving so i can scare small furry animals and kids in my village lol
    not to many sidecars in our neck of the woods :)
  12. 1920BSMK1SV

1920BSMK1SV Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well I ordered a M72DX sidecar from DMC sidecars last Oct 2012 and now its July 2013 and I have asked to cancel the order as I think waiting 10 months is a bit crap :(
    A pitty in a way I did want one to go on my then 2012 R1200GSA Triple Black (now sold) and I have a new 2013 R1200GSA 90th which when I bought that in march was going to fit the DMC sidecar on :( sadlly no reply of DMC and so 10 months on canceled order
    I don't know how long you good folks in the USA wait for a DMC sidecar ? but in the good ole UK we can get one in 3 to 4 weeks from Squire watsonian sidecars I know 3 to 4 weeks that's to long to wait I want one yesterday :)
    So good luck with anyone who bought a DMC rig ? sidecar :) I hope your enjoying yours
    Slightly Annoyed Brit :(
  13. claude

claude Sidecar Jockey

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear that. Timelines can vary for all sidecar manufacturers. We have never set a drop dead due date but have also never had a dissatisfied customer that I know of. I would,, personally, rather say a far out date and come in earlier with delivery than visa versa. Right now we are probably out around 4 months with our own sidecars.
  14. 1920BSMK1SV

1920BSMK1SV Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just had word back from DMC saying there just on with my sidecar now so im holding back a little longer but I cant see it been hear in the uk till the new year ? I may be wrong but I kinda got this feeling ?
    There not cheap and I have invested a lot in it lets hope it lives up my expectations ? lol
    Well they have had problems at DMC they were honest about that and I can understand your point about timelines just now 10 months on I was kinda worried about if they had forgot me lol
  15. jpalamar

jpalamar Long timer

Oddometer:
    Considering the very, very narrow market for sidecar rigs and likely the people that are skilled at doing the custom work, and the outside vendors that do the little stuff like powder coating (but you need it, and if a powder coater in area goes out of business and the low volume of powder coating likely DMC does they probably have no leverage . . . ). But, you likely know all that and sadly not many places to get a custom hack/rig.

But, like poker, you now have the ante, a few raises so you've got to ride it out. Besides, other than Claude and starting all over again . . . well! Besides, you will be ecstatic with the end product. It's very, very high quality! Think high-end car market.

I love mine . . . and, it drives very well!

[​IMG]
  16. claude

claude Sidecar Jockey

Oddometer:
    Once I told a certain person an approximate date knowing we could make it happen by then or before. That was unacceptable to that person so they went elsewhere and were told what they wanted to hear. Funny thing was that the date they actually got their project done was really very very close to what they were told by me to begin with. Oh well, they did get a decent outfit and are happy with it now and I am happy for them. Interesting.
  17. jaydmc

jaydmc Long timer

Oddometer:
    We are making an entire new model called the Expedition rather then just making the left side mount M72DX. This has taken longer then we had hoped, my general manager Barry is in charge of this project and he had a heart attack in the middle of the project, He is now fine, the body plug is now out for final paint before lifting the mold for the body while it is taking longer then we had hoped we are also delivering more then had been promised. The new sidecar will retail for $7495 but we are holding the price that we agreed to. Most all of the rest of the fabrication has been done just not powder coated.
    For the right side version of this sidecar, and if we have demand for the left side version we will be offering a hard locking tonneau cover, convertible soft top and even have plans for a hard top. I had planed to have the right side version at the BMW national in two weeks but as the first left side must be finished first this will not happen. We will be taking orders for these sidecars at the BMW national and as they will soon be a production item rather then a new product under development delivery times will be about the same as any of our other sidecars which usually are in the 6-8 week range however right now we have fallen back to 10 weeks while training a new assembly person as we have lots our long time assembler due to bad arthritis which required surgery and she now has to use a walker and will be on disability for the rest of her life.
    Jay G
    DMC sidecars
    www.dmcsidecars.com
    866-638-1793
  18. claude

claude Sidecar Jockey

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear about Barry's heart issues. Glad everything seems to be okay though.
  19. AceRph

AceRph Retired slacker

Oddometer:
    I wondered what happened to Barry. My best wishes to him.

And we're finally gonna meet, Jay. When I was at the shop on my way back from AK, you were out horsing around on a boat or something vacationy like that.
  20. ClearwaterBMW

Oddometer:
    I had no idea that Barry had his heart attack. I'm glad that he is getting better but please tell him that I said hello, as well. During my build of the sidecar you made for me very was always so kind to answer questions and to change things and add things as per my requests. I hope that he continues to do well in your business continues to grow