The Blue Ridge Trail....... a work in progress

Discussion in 'Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge' started by error cooled, Oct 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ben2go

ben2go Long timer

Oddometer:
    I agree.You put a lot into making these files.
  2. backlit

backlit n00b

Oddometer:
    I wouldn't without your consent, but am curious as to the reason why. I would still like the files if possible.
  3. Kyle B

Kyle B "Dirty Jobs"

Oddometer:
    Lost in the hills of SW VA/ Winter in SW Florida
    Thank you David! I received the files. Soon as I get to my main computer I'll get to work on loading them. I'm looking forward to this! First on the DRZ then the GS.
  4. sieg

sieg Wearing out tires......2 at a time, day after day. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wouldn't a "torrent file" be a sharing info about the track with others that have the track and not actually be sharing the track. Anyway that's the way I understand a "torrent file" . But isn't that what we have here on this thread? So I don't see the need for a "torrent file" . But I'm technologically challenged anyway. :rofl
  5. backlit

backlit n00b

Oddometer:
    It would just be an easy way of distributing it I thought would be helpful.
  6. DavidQ

DavidQ We Don't Rent Pigs

Oddometer:
    I received the file. Thanks for putting in all the work on this.:beer
  7. DWiley

DWiley n00b

Oddometer:
    Got my files a few weeks ago and forgot to post. Thanks!
  8. NitroRoo

NitroRoo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is going to be the longest half day of work ever! Heading up for a long weekend of camping and BRT fun - can't wait! Thanks again for all the work that went into creating these files :clap. I will definitely be producing a ride report and vids, so stay tuned! :muutt
  9. ridemtra

ridemtra single track

Oddometer:
    Ok all you experienced BRT riders I have the gps files and the time to do the full route Need your advice on what to avoid on a Ktm 990 loaded with camping gear I am an experienced rider but not too proud to avoid sections where this bike is just not practical Thanks
  10. gvthnks

gvthnks Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    OK, got the file. Thank you very much.

Now the planning begins.:D
  11. jar944

jar944 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ran from edinburg to Staunton today.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  12. woods wizard

woods wizard Trail Hound

Oddometer:
    Ha, I recognize Old Sam. The yellow helmet gives him away .Looks like a good time. Wasnt this a overniter ?
  13. jar944

jar944 Long timer

Oddometer:
    It was. The rest of the group were camping and looping back today. The KLRs and I slabbed it back up 81 last night.

Not much fun for me on unbalanced tires and one rimlock, big lesson learned there.
  14. Am.E

Am.E Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Uh, I'll take a stab at this....

Based on the half of the trail that I've ridden (southern half), error cooled does a good job in his distro email giving a heads up on potentially difficult sections. The problem we had was that while we were out on the trail, we didn't know when we were getting to those sections. Next time, we'll pay attention ahead of time, and change the color of those tracks, or turn them off or something, so that we'll know we're about to get to one, and can decide whether we feel like tackling it or not. The tracks he cautions about (from south to north) are:

• Iron Mtn Trail S 301 (single track out of damascus. I would say skip this on a 990 adventure, but its been done on a 1200gs, so I guess either be good or have a small bike. Have decent knobbies either way.)
    • Carnot FDR205 (the trail up the east end of big walker mountain. rocky and overgrown. )
    • (I would also add Hogback Mountain FDR640. I expect conditions on this track vary quite a bit. If it has rained recently, the mud is serious.)
    • Bailey Gap 177.4 (mud and rocks)
    Those are the ones I've ridden. Iron mtn is one I would seriously consider skipping on the 990. Skip the others if its late/you are tired/ weather is bad/short on time, etc.

others he mentions I haven't ridden yet:

• Shoe Creek FDR263
    • Vepco FDR240
    • Peters Mill Run FDR1702
  15. thetable

thetable Long timer

Oddometer:
  16. SidewinderX

SidewinderX Hey, watch this! Super Supporter

Oddometer:

They "can" be rode on an Adventure 990R with a bald MT21 on the back...... But, I would not recommend it.....

I was called a bit insane that day....

Follow AME's advice if you are loaded with gear.:deal
  17. BOIKE333

BOIKE333 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have ridden with sidewinderx, he is insane. Don't do iron mountain on that pretty bike unless u want ur balls in ur mouth....we just got back......and I will buy the guys trip (or at least lunch, dinner and beer) that says he'll do it again on a 1200gs just so I can watch......

18. Rave

Rave Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ride MTRA, put the "adventure" in 990 Adventure and get that orange beast nasty:evil It won't be practical or prudent which is exactly why you should do it.

BOIKE333, I think I'll be headed back up there in October or November to run the whole thing this time. Let's plan for lunch in Damascus, dinner in Wytheville, and a Guiness to finish it off:1drink
  19. NitroRoo

NitroRoo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Umm... can I be IN on that adventure, too? :1drink beep

We had a crazy fantastic long weekend on the BRT. It's probably going to take at least a couple of days for me to put together the massive amounts of pictures and video that we took. Had an amazing time. Again big thanks to error cooled for the project and the files!
  20. swamp

swamp Shut up. Ride.

Oddometer:
    PM sent
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.