Touratech Windscreen Spoiler for F800GS

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by AlanI, Mar 27, 2011.

1. AlanI

AlanI Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Using the search function I can find reference to this spoiler for every other model of bike other than the F800GS. Has anyone used this on the 800GS or no of anyone, either living or dead LOL, that has? In short, I'd like to know whether or not it does the job as described on the tin and is it money well spent? Please no recommendations to alternative complete screens as non I've seen so far are suitable for the lines of this bike.......imho of course.
  2. lawe

lawe lawe

Oddometer:
    For me it didn't do any good. I just added more noise and turbulence for me, but as usual with wind screens it depends on your lenght, seat hight, riding position etc.

I ended up cutting my stock screen down with approx 10cm. to get more clean air above the shoulders. That's much better for me.

I'm 180 cm tall using standard seat.
  3. markymcd

markymcd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I used it for a while and I liked it a bit better than stock. I'm 5'6" and have a low seat. I then went to the MetalMule / Powerbronze screen which was better. Then I did the Madstad robobracket thing which was better. Then I did the Desierto 3 which was best and of course stupid expensive.

The clip on is an affordable way to do an 'adjustable' screen from stock. And, if you've got the right height and helmet combo it might work for you.

good luck,
    Mark
  4. AlanI

AlanI Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info guys. I'm going to fire off an email to TT in the morning (might even telephone them personally) and ask if they would be prepared to loan me one for a couple of hours to test. I've spent enough with them over the years and live only 30 minutes down the road from them so I don't think my request will be an unreasonable one.
  5. HighFive

HighFive Never Tap-Out

Oddometer:
    I bought it....tried it....and returned it immediately. I'm 5'-9" with regular stock seat, and it made things even worse. The wind was hitting me square in the center of my faceshield. Which also made the wind noise in my helmet much louder too.

The little spoiler fits up beautifully to the stock shield. Looks great and seems like a such a simple solution. But the stock shield produces cleaner air around my head & shoulders without out it. So, I'd recommend against it.

Now then, I didn't like the stock situation either. After much angst and handwringing, I followed Docking Pilot's good advice: Drank a 6 pack, then pushed the "Buy" button for the Desierto faring. Sinfully expensive, yes, but wow...does it ever work good for me. If I keep this bike a long time (which appears likely), the amortized cost over time should become insignificant. At least, that's what I keep telling myself. It has indeed made the slab rides way more pleasant.

HF :deal
  6. AlanI

AlanI Adventurer

Oddometer:
    :beer HighFive
  7. soyanarchisto

soyanarchisto Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm 6'3" and I find the TT spoiler does a wonderful job cutting down the wind and noise. If TT wont let you borrow one let me know. I am in Portland and if you pay shipping you can borrow mine.
  8. itsforrest

itsforrest Ugly bag of mostly water

Oddometer:
    Alan, if you ever get down to South Sound BMW they actually have a demo of the windshield extender in the store that you can try for a blast up the freeway and back.

That said, I tried it for a blast up the road and immediately hated it. It was so much louder I thought for a moment I had forgotten to put in my earplugs. The stock screen puts the main turbulence on my neck and chest. The screen extender put it right in the middle of the helmet which was way worse than stock.

As the screen is about 5 or 6 inches tall, try slouching down into the seat, lowering your head about that much while on the freeway and see what that does.
  9. niklasthedolphin

niklasthedolphin Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I would not recommend the TT windscreen spoiler on stock screen or even on TT High screen.

I had a very good experience using it on Wunderlich Ergo Vario Screen.
    I am 192 cm and I can now ride with open helmet behind my screen without flies getting into my eyes.

Niklas
  10. AlanI

AlanI Adventurer

Oddometer:
    :thumb thanks for all the input guys. Much appreciated. As it happens, I received an email from TT today and they are going to send me one to test on a sale or return basis with the only stipulation being that I should not remove the protective covering pending my decision.
  11. MSH

MSH The Salt

Oddometer:
    Pretty cool of them!
  12. markymcd

markymcd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Whether you like their product or not, Touratech is a great company to deal with... in my experience anyway.

They let me use their loading bay to install my Desierto when it was raining outside... I didn't even ask! and they gave me a full set of tools to use and a free t-shirt too.
  13. HighFive

HighFive Never Tap-Out

Oddometer:
    +2 I've experienced superb customer service with TT.

Anyone can look good, when everything goes right. TT has really shined when things were less than perfect (for me).

HF :thumbup
  14. niklasthedolphin

Oddometer:
    Well............
    By now I have had around thousand kilometers of testing the Wunderlich spoiler on top of the Wunderlich Ergo GS Vario Screen.

I changed back to the TouraTech spoiler for use on the top of the Wunderlich Ergo GS Vario Screen.
    It's simply better because it's bigger and takes more wind for you as a driver.

Best compromise would be to have a spoiler the size of the TT one but with the convex bended form as the Wunderlich spoiler and with a base adjustable like the Wunderlich mounting base.

Niklas
  15. JRWooden

JRWooden never attribute to malice...

Oddometer:
    Niklas:

If you don't mind my asking, how tall / inseam are you?

I'm hoping not to need an add-on to the top of the Wunderlich if I go that way...
    I'm about 6' 1" on 658 with seat that is about 1" - 1.5" taller than stock...
  16. MSH

MSH The Salt

Oddometer:
    I need something too. Gonna email Touratech to see if I can get a rent to own special too!
  17. niklasthedolphin

Oddometer:
    I'm in doubt what inseam is?
    English is not my native language.

My height is 191-192cm.
    I use the original BMW comfort seat. This seat is slightly lower and wider than original seat.

Niklas
  18. soyanarchisto

soyanarchisto Long timer

Oddometer:
    Inseam is the length of your pants from your crotch to the floor.
  19. niklasthedolphin

Oddometer:

Thx

My inseam is 86,5 cm

Niklas
  20. danman

danman Tumbling Dice

Oddometer:
    Hey guys,

Have had good luck with the TT extension. I have the stock shield, stock seat height, I'm 5'7" & have used it on long and short drives. It gives just enough additional protection from cold, heat, & high winds for my tastes. Easy to remove and store when I don't want to use it. Only odd thing is that it really seems to add a lot of movement to the wind screen, really starts to move around in high winds, I guess from the extra weight added to the top of the screen. But for the money it works for me. There are a couple of aftermarket screens I might try if I get some extra cash. .