Denali lights wiring question

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by Moptop, Aug 22, 2013.

1. Moptop

Moptop Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm intralling a set Denali led lights on my F800. I would like to set them up with HI and LOW beam option. Now i understand that I have to run the blue trigger wire to the high beam and the white one to the low beam. What I'm not sure about is I also have a set of HID LIGHTS installed complete with ballast. Do I tap into the wire before or after the ballast or does it not matter ? If before do i tap into the Red BMW wire [​IMG]
  2. TowPro

TowPro Single Track Geezer

Oddometer:
    The ballast converts 12V into a real high voltage. You don't want to tap in after the ballast.
  3. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    High beams, as they have no beam blockage, thus blinding oncoming drivers.
  4. Mtl_Biker

Mtl_Biker Long timer

Oddometer:
    I hope you have also installed a fuse panel on your bike.

I haven't done an HID installation (probably won't) but I did install Denali D2D lights on my bike with an on-off switch on the handlebars.

Power comes from my FuzeBlock panel, so I only had to connect the wire to the high beam to get it all working fine.

The on-off switch controls whether they're on or not, and if the high beam is also on, then they're in full (high) power. Otherwise low power.

They really make great visibility (be seen) lights.

Your HID lights are only the low beams, right? (I wouldn't use them for high beam because they don't have the instant on needed when you just want to flash your lights to someone.)
  5. picard

picard engage!

Oddometer:
    You want to tap the high beam trigger into the high beam wire on the bike harness, not from anywhere on your HID lights (if you have HID for the high beam).

I'm not 100% sure off the top of my head but I think the 12V supply to the High Beam on the bike harness is yellow, not red.

Alternatively, you could splice it into where the HID +12V wire is connected to what used to be your high beam bulb connector. Most HIDs are set up this way. But then you need to go in and out of your rear bulb housing cover, which you probably want to avoid.
  6. Moptop

Moptop Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I was going to wire it straight from the battery, but am installing a fuze block at the same time so I will follow your suggestion and run it from the fuze block. Can you recall if it is the red wire on the high beam that you tapped into ?. I do run my HID on high beam and can live with them taking a few second to warm up to there full brightness. I need them to spot kangaroos that can be in plaque per portions on the tracks sometimes and can make a mess of you and the bike when they turn kamikaze.
  7. Moptop

Moptop Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Picard. I will give it a go today.
  8. picard

picard engage!

Oddometer:
    You said you wanted the High-beam setup. Thus my answer.
    My setup is different, you could consider that as another option.
    I use a fuzeblock also on my bike and installed a second switch so I can switch the intensity of the Denali's independently from Hi or Lo beam.
    Essentially you connect the trigger wire to your power source but install a switch in-line and fasten it to the handlebar or wherever.
  9. Moptop

Moptop Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Managed to get it all wired up today. Thanks for the advice. Now just the job of getting all those wires tugged away nicely. I have the lights come on with low beam and the hi intensity with high beam. Yet to decide where to mount the separate on off switch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD