World Junior Hockey

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Buzz363, Dec 24, 2012.

1. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    Well I got the score right.... nice win for the US...
  2. Grainbelt

Grainbelt marginal adventurer

Oddometer:
    Seven little Phil Housleys on the back end for the USA, strong play at the blue line is always impressive to watch. Gibson was more than up to the task, and the offense finally got going these last two games. Grimaldi gave me a few heart attacks with those blind passes - other than that, not really a whole lot to gripe about.

Perhaps it is time to stop the TSN/CBC ratings-and-advertising-fueled shitshow up there leading up to the WJC? I can only imagine 'the panel' trying to decide which of these kids most failed his country. Probably pillory the coach as well.

On thing for the US kids, nobody outside of college hockey knows this tournament even exists. Granted, they don't get as long of a camp before the tourney starts, but they sure look more loose out there.
  3. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    It's a huge deal up here. Nearly every male I know was getting up early to watch the games, even though there were 2 repeats right after. It'll be first on every news station in the country today. And the news is not about the kids, most being talked about is why we should have played the US again. In such a short tournament, coming first in a division and beating a team, then beating another team that also beat you, should have you going home.

The goal is not over yet though, still a medal game to play to make it 15 yrs in a row.

We won't pick on the kids though, they'll feel bad enough. There still great young kids, and we'll treasure any young man good enough to wear the red leaf.
  4. Buzz363

Buzz363 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well the U.S kicked our ass. I think the Canadians were humbled and maybe that will be a good thing in the long run. Had to listen to my wife chanting "U.S.A. U.S.A.".:eek1
  5. Grainbelt

Oddometer:
    I know the fans and the people up there don't blame the kids, but look at the language used by the media -

Bob McKenzie, throwing four guys under the bus. Video

The concept that Canada can and should win gold each and every year may be just a wee bit optimistic.
  6. Buzz363

Buzz363 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bob McKenzie is an ass. I read his book Hockey Dad and he outs himself as a tool in it. It wouldn't be such an issue if we could be world class contenders in another sport but we just aren't. Womens soccer and softball perhaps but softball is no longer in he Olympics.

That being said I've enjoyed the tournament and hope they return to Vancouver soon.
  7. Grainbelt

Oddometer:
    I could never decide if he or Don Cherry was the bigger blowhard.

Neither are on TV down here, though we get Pierre McGuire on NBC now and again. He's a doofus too. :lol3
  8. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    You didn't quote the rest of the video in which he said there is no one player, no one staff, but all that have failed. He just mentioned first the four players that likely wouldn't be here if the NHL wasn't in lockout. No one is gonna walk up to either of these players and say they suck.

But he's right. They sucked that game, it's a shame that they lose one game and other teams lose two games and are considered better and move on.

As Canadians, we don't think we should win every yr but we should be competitively close, as weve been since the tourney started. There are yrs we could send three teams and win every medal, but that wouldn't be fun for anyone else.

I still think Canada has the best team this time as well.
  9. Grainbelt

Oddometer:
    You're going to have to help me out a little here. The USA won a quarterfinal game and a semifinal game. Canada won zero final round games.

Canada should get extra credit for beating Russia in a qualifying round? They can take it out on them in the bronze medal game. :deal
  10. Callahan71

Callahan71 Banned

Oddometer:
    Ouch, didn't even medal. Back to the drawing board :1drink

The media hype that surrounds Canadian players is shameful really. They make it seem as though we've won gold before the tournament has even begun, and if things turn out for the worse they quickly berate the players.

Stick it to the Swedes fellas! NA#1 :lol3
  11. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    Well that sucked. Exciting game but I feel bad for the young fellas.

The final in few moments.....
  12. Grainbelt

Oddometer:
    So far the US took three offensive zone penalties and squandered two power plays.

And the Swedes appear to be coached by Jacques Lemaire, the neutral zone is a mess. :lol3

Going to be a tight one. :lurk
  13. Grainbelt

Oddometer:
    The players seem to be believing their own hype. Recap

Well, you just did. :lol3

Not denying the depth and strength of the Canadian program, but the world had largely caught up in preparation and coaching of these U-20 teams, and the difference in talent isn't that large.
  14. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    Nice win.... excellent team defense.

Overall, good tournament, lots of good hockey. Noticed a lot of empty seat during many games though. That's the only negative I noticed.

Some solid NHL players coming out of this tournament.

Be back again boxing day later this year. Congrats USA.
  15. Grainbelt

Oddometer:
    Fun game to watch, wish I'd have seen the CAN/RUS game, that had to be fun. Too bad about the result.

The announcers mentioned that the USA beat SWE in the last three U-18 tourneys, it seems they know each other pretty well. I thought Sweden played a better team game and I'm sure their goalie wants that short-side squeaker by Grimaldi back.

Another fun tourney! Looking forward to 2014 in Malmo, Sweden. :clap