TT350 Not XT350

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by zerohype, Feb 2, 2008.

1. Anklyne

Anklyne Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If you look at the underneath of the brake lever, near the switch, there's a hole. The switch housing has a small plastic tab that flares out and locks into that hole, so you can just use a screw driver to push on the tab through the hole and pull the switch out.

Disassembling the switch itself is easy too. Just shift the small metal band down, fold the rubber sheath back on itself and using numerous jewellers/precision screwdrivers, flare out the clips on the 4 sides. Once the outer plastic cover is off, the shaft will come out and the two contacts on either side can just be pulled out to the side. Reverse for reassembly.
    AliveDK likes this.
  2. NordieBoy

NordieBoy Armature speller

Oddometer:
    Cool...

I'll be right back...
  3. NordieBoy

Oddometer:
    Pulled the switch apart, cleaned the contacts, bent the arms a little more and reassembled.

Sweet.
  4. NordieBoy

Oddometer:
    If you can't repair the original switch, a $10 hyosung one will fit with minimal mods.
  5. Anklyne

Anklyne Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good to know. I think I need to give the rear switch a clean now :/

She's back on the road again though :freaky
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Today's quick shake down ride consisted of wheelies, going up curbs then tearing across the gravel car parks at a near by shopping centre (it was empty thanks to the medieval trading hour regulations we have), cruising over speed bumps at speed and doing some jumps on the neat alley way this picture was taken at earlier this year:

[​IMG]

My other bike wouldn't have appreciated any of those things at all.
    At least it'll be glad I won't be abusing it any more :lol3 (the one on the right)
    [​IMG]
  6. NordieBoy

Oddometer:
    Get some 2001 Truimph Twin Intiminators, valve them with 1x0.015", 1x0.012", 1x0.010" shims, 5w oil and ride...

Only problem then is, the back will suck compared...
  7. Anklyne

Anklyne Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What do the Intiminators do?

I think my rear shock needs work anyway. The clicker adjustment goes from 'hard tail' at 0 - ~2 clicks, then it goes soft and doesn't seem to change from 3 clicks onward. That's not normal, is it?
  8. NordieBoy

Oddometer:
    Like Emulators for the front end but mo betterer. They keep better road manners while still letting it work well over bumps.

http://www.intiminators.com

Same.

I think it's a lack of oil...

I may have to nick my brothers old shock (he's running a $1200 YSS fully adjustable shock in his TT350, along with an XR400 cartridge front end) and see if I can do something with it.
    I'm thinking of trying to bolt on a reservoir that has adjustable compression damping...

I have one on an old XR350 shock but it's been outside for 5-6 years...
  9. Anklyne

Anklyne Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Do you know anywhere to get gear shifters? The one on my bike has been welded so the tip doesn't fold away. I went to my local Yamaha shop and apparently they can only get OEM ones because the bikes so old and they're $100 each :loco

Had a look on ebay and there's not a whole lot, but the cheapest one is listed as fitting older XT250s, XT/TT500s, XT/TT350s and XT/TT600s. Only thing is it bends out right at the input shaft, not further up towards the magneto like the stocker.

Or am I gonna have to pay $50 for a steel lever? :huh
  10. NordieBoy

Oddometer:
    I'd take the lever in to a local bike shop and see what they've got with a matching spline and curve.
  11. Anklyne

Anklyne Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Went to the local bike wreckers (I saw "local" but it's over 30 minutes away) and got a brand new aftermarket lever for $35.

Cruised up the freeway, got the lever, headed west towards the ocean and made my way down the coast back home.
    I love riding this bike so much more than my other one, except I've noticed people seem to hate me more when I'm riding it. Probably because they think I'm some bogan hoon on a dirt bike, as opposed to an idiot on a street bike :lol3
  12. Anklyne

Anklyne Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Finally managed to get out for a ride and go hit some trails on friday
    [​IMG]

Yesterday I fashioned up some AU$11 pannier bags (cheap, simple heavy cotton bags - $5.50 each from the army surplus) and test fitted them.
    [​IMG]

Short seat belt straps to hold the bags forwards
    [​IMG]

Another strap to hold them back
    [​IMG]

And a quick wire shield to keep the panel away from the exhaust.
    [​IMG]

They're linked together with the shoulder straps and hang over the seat which works alright, but I'm thinking I'll try to hang them separately so if one side is heavier it won't pull the other upwards and I can also only have one on if I want to. Obviously I'm going to make up a nice aluminium heat shield that will do a better job keeping the bag off the muffler.

They came in handy this morning getting McDonalds breakfast at the 24hr drive-thru only :lol3
  13. Anklyne

Anklyne Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I had a problem with my speedo on the weekend. At speed, the needle would sit on 0 and at a crawl it would bounce around. Pulled it apart and found the plate that transfers between the hub and the gear had worn/expanded so would spin around on the gear.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Had a quick look online and it seemed I could only get whole units, so I squished the plate in the vice and put it back together. Anyone know if that plate is meant to be flat, btw? Mine was bent out so the tabs bent away from the hub. I think I flipped it around when I put it back together.

Made up a prototype heat shield for the exhaust today out of some 3mm steel flatbar and scrap fibreglass PCB.
    [​IMG]

I've also got my bags mounted independently to each other now, with the short seatbelt straps run head-to-tail of the bike around the frame. You can see the strap hanging out in the above photo, one end between the seat and side panel and the other above the heat shield/below the toolbox.

Also I finally got my new headlight, so I'll be getting around to making a mount for that some time soon, hopefully.
    [​IMG]
  14. Anklyne

Anklyne Adventurer

Oddometer:
    She was stolen during the early hours of this morning.
    I just want her back :cry

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  15. NordieBoy

Oddometer:
    Oh shit.
  16. Fred333

Fred333 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The bike got stolen?
    This hurts!
    It seems you had so much fun with it...
    Sorry to hear that...
    I hope these §$%&&%$ will brake their bones trying to start it.
    :-(
    Fred

PS: Sometimes the bike will be found by the police ....no? :puke1
    Just want to make up some hope.
  17. nearysr

nearysr n00b

Oddometer:
    How does an XT350 compare with a TT in terms of performance? Are they fairly equal in terms of gearing, # of gears, weight, etc? I've been looking for an XT for a while now. Never thought about widening my search to include a TT. Thanks in advance for the advice.
  18. NordieBoy

Oddometer:
    Engines are the same, carbs, frame, seat, tank, wheels etc are different.

The XT was the road legal bike, the TT was the ready to race version.

XL vs XR type deal.
  19. Anklyne

Anklyne Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've reported it to police, posted about it on local bike forums, sent emails to local bike wreckers, etc. I'm hoping it's found soon :(

Unfortunately it was actually really easy to start. One kick cold, one sometimes two warm.
  20. Anklyne

Anklyne Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well I got her back today. Some kids (probably) had been riding it around and stashing it in the bush, so it's covered in spiders, webs and foliage.

I'm right back to where I started though; An unroad-worthy bike in need of a lot of work :/
    I'm glad I've got it back, but bloody pissed off I have to work on it to get it back where it was instead of riding :baldy

[​IMG]