Moto Guzzi California 1400

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by ikonoklass, Nov 13, 2012.

1. Blakebird

Blakebird r - u - n - n - o - f - t

Oddometer:
    there is no heat issue on Guzzis.... the journos always get bikes that are breaking in, and when they are breaking in they do get hot for the first few hundred miles....after that, you wouldn't notice it any more than you would on an airhead or oilhead.

heat=non-issue.
  2. Lobby

Lobby Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer:
    I've never understood these "breaking in" heat comments.

Seems to me that if the bike gets 40 mpg when new, and it gets 40 mpg when broken in, it used the same amount of heat to power the bike, thus generating the same heat. :dunno

Is there some fouling of fins or carbon deposits somewhere that might account for this?
  3. R59

R59 they call me Rocker

Oddometer:
    I'm closing in on 100,000 miles spread over six Guzzis.

Heat is not an issue that I've ever encountered.
  4. R59

R59 they call me Rocker

Oddometer:
    If you're not sure, you're not ready.
  5. mac62

mac62 One more thin gypsy thief

Oddometer:
    Epic want.
  6. mentalfloss

mentalfloss Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have close to 100,000 miles on Guzzi scoots from loop framed eldo,s to tonti framed Le Mans to my 09 stelvio (best bike I have ever owned!) small blocks and big blocks.....NEVER a heat problem and NEVER had a problem with my long legs hitting the cylinders..... popular Guzzi myths....
    Closed Casket likes this.
  7. TexRivers

TexRivers TexRivers

Oddometer:
    If you live within 500 miles of Houston, MPH is an outstanding dealer.
  8. wannaklr

wannaklr Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is there an eta on retail pricing?
  9. Lobby

Lobby Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer:
    Sssshhhh. :deal

If people ask, they're gonna think a bunch are interested and raise the price.

Pretend you don't care. Like this: :augie

:D
  10. wannaklr

wannaklr Long timer

Oddometer:
  11. R59

R59 they call me Rocker

Oddometer:
    It's been quiet.

There is supposed to be a big unveil at the design center in California soon.
  12. Lobby

Lobby Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer:

Do you have an "in" with them? If so, ask them to send some Demo bikes to Daytona Bike week.

:nod
  13. R59

R59 they call me Rocker

Oddometer:
    No "in", anymore.

The California 1400 California unveil was supposed to happen in December. I don't recall seeing it happen, so it's sorta like the MOTUS intro right now.

PGA would be smart to have some Cal 14s on display at Daytona. That's the market for this bike. Unfortunately, I don't know that they'll be that smart.

We can hope, though.
  14. CajunRider

CajunRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :lol3 :lol3 :lol3
  15. JohninVT

JohninVT Long timer

Oddometer:
    There can be heat issues with certain Guzzi's. Breva 1100's in particular can roast your feet because of the location of the catalytic convertor and overly lean mapping as delivered. The 1200 Sport had the cat in the muffler instead of under the engine so it didn't put out nearly as much heat. The only time it ever bothered me was in Florida when it was 100f and I was still running the stock map. After I installed the PC-V, Mistral exhaust and O2 Optimizer, it was like a completely different machine in terms of engine heat(and power).

The Breva 1100 is mentioned the most in terms of heat issues but a few people have removed the lower fairing on the early Norge and replaced it with the 1200 Sport sump guard to redirect heat(and also because early Norge fairing lowers are fragile).
  16. MaddBrit

MaddBrit meh

Oddometer:
    Yup, and he wasn't really leaning much at all. Thats got much worse clearance than even a Road King. My Victory Vision goes over way more than that. Of course, we don't buy cruisers to race them, but its nice to be able to have some fun in the twisties occasionally.

I was looking forward to seeing and riding it when it comes to the US, but I think this disqualifies it for me.
  17. wannaklr

wannaklr Long timer

Oddometer:
  18. Lobby

Lobby Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer:
    Nice article on the 1400 in the latest Motorcyclist.
  19. capriccio

capriccio Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Piaggio frame designer stated in an interview that it HAS 5 DEGREES MORE LEANING ANGLE THAN THE ROAD KING.

Its difficult to judge/compare leaning angles from photos unless a picture is taken of the RK in the same spot from the same angle.

I owned the redesigned/upgraded RK and still own an EV1100 and judging from reviews and technical data.....they not even in the same league. Add the cost to get 96hp from a RK, plus ABS, plus cruise control, plus traction control, plus comparable suspension and handling and you looking at 25K at least if not more. Just ABS and cruise will bring the price of a RK to 19.5K

One last thing, always consider whose writing the review. A journo used to much greater lean angles from testing 200hp rockets on a track will feel cramped by the modest angles of cruiser/tourers but its more than enough for the street at sane speeds.
  20. R59

R59 they call me Rocker

Oddometer:
    This just in.... note the pricepoint!

[​IMG]

courtesy of MPH Cycles - Houston
    Closed Casket likes this.