Houston Area Riders

Discussion in 'Tejas and the Gulf States' started by fnjeep314, Dec 8, 2012.

1. ScottBc1

ScottBc1 n00b

Oddometer:
    Got my Texas off road sticker at Yamaha on 1960. Kinda sucks that I paid 20 $ for the thing and it Expires in August. Thanx for all the help Guys. If anyone is interested I'll be at Sam Houston in the morning P.M. me Tonight and I'll give you My number.:clap
  2. r2ro

r2ro Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hah, yeah, Honda of Houston told me they don't sell OHV stickers anymore. I got mine from Yamaha on 1960 as well.
  3. r2ro

r2ro Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Them's the breaks. :deal

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/fiNxwJezdWc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  4. fritzcoinc

fritzcoinc Enjoying my last V8 Supporter

Oddometer:

:roflFor a second there I thought you were going to bribe him!
  5. r2ro

r2ro Adventurer

Oddometer:

n00b move on my part. CASH ONLY! :lol3
  6. my6

my6 Long LongTimer...

Oddometer:
    Dude...You got LUCKY.:clap
  7. r2ro

r2ro Adventurer

Oddometer:

Very! :clap
  8. Halen

Halen Suerte O Muerte Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just found this thread ... I live in central Houston near Memorial Park and try to rider everyday.

Are there any Sport Touring riders on this thread? A little less than a month ago I purchased a BMW S1000rr. I'm working on building a route/itinerary that encompasses a West coast swing. I'd love to get feedback from others on things to consider while touring with a sportbike.
  9. lddave

lddave been there

Oddometer:
    Going to the west coast I would drop down on 90 from San Antonio thru Big Bend catching I 10 at Van Horn. Detour to 191 in New Mexico / Arizona. West of LA ride the roads around Ojai.
  10. fritzcoinc

fritzcoinc Enjoying my last V8 Supporter

Oddometer:

This ride report will give you alot of good info.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=808437
    In particular, AIRBNB.com ( bed and breakfast website ) . I have been looking at this site and it look pretty cool. For example there is a cabin curser boat tied up in Galveston that you can rent as a room.
  11. Halen

Oddometer:
    Thanks -- that R/R is actually how I discovered ADV. I read it from start to finish in two days. As for AirBnB and VRBO, these are two sites I use for travel when looking for unique places to stay. An Inmate on here also turned me onto sport-touring.net which also has a wealth of info.

The other adventure I'd like to accomplish this year is the SS1000. There are several routes I'm considering. Houston to Denver is just over 1000 miles, as is Indianapolis (MotoGP this coming August).
  12. Meriden

Meriden Yea whatever

Oddometer:
    We've got a couple of R1000SS riders in the Houston BMW club. There are also a few STs and K1300S. Meetings are at 7pm at Spagetti Western on Shepherd the second Thursday of each month. If you're interested in long haul riding, some of our guys go to Alaska via Key West.

SS1000 on a sport bike? One idea is to ride to Boerne and make the run from there to El Paso and back. Just over 1K with 900 miles at an 80 MPH speed limit.

m
  13. Halen

Oddometer:
    The timing was perfect when I bought my S1000rr as it two days before the March meeting for the Houston BMW Club. I actually met a member the day I was picking up my bike. He suggested I attend the meeting which I did. Unfortunately I arrived a bit late and did not get a chance to meet many people. I look forward to meeting more riders in future meetings.

As for my first SS1000 I'm considering a Louisiana/Texas loop (Google Maps link): http://goo.gl/maps/m8A7P

I like the idea of possibly doing an El Paso run as well. Like you mentioned it would be very quick at Highway speeds.

As for Alaska via Key West, that would be a serious adventure via an S1000rr!
  14. Meriden

Meriden Yea whatever

Oddometer:
    Welcome then. If you bought a new bike from one of the dealerships then you have a free membership, at least until renewal time in the summer. Our ride meister is planning a SS1000 in the near future, a Kingsville, Corpus loop I think. Check out the website. Our message board does not get a lot of traffic but you can still learn about rides. Tech day is this weekend. A great opportunuty to meet folks and watch people scrape their knuckles.

http://bmwclubofhouston.com/cms/en/

Key West to Alaska would be a haul on a R1000SS. One of our past presidents is doing it on a Ural. I'd rather have the speed rather than the cargo hold.

m
  15. Halen

Oddometer:
    I'm going to do my best to try and make the Tech Day this coming Saturday. There is a lot I need to learn and this would be a great place to begin.

I could not agree more about having speed vs cargo.
  16. mattlikesbikes

mattlikesbikes Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I looked all over the website and could not find mention of the tech day. I just bought a new to me F650GS and am looking to get educated on day to day upkeep, and I think the chain needs tensioning (stupid dealer and their $300 make ready seemed to have missed this).
  17. Halen

Oddometer:
    I heard about it via email. Let me see if I can track it down and I'll post the info here.
  18. Meriden

Meriden Yea whatever

Oddometer:
    Houston BMW Clubs's Tech Day is a members only event so details are not published.

Halen,
    I'd guessed that you had filled out your paperwork at the dealership. If so just contact one of the officers via email and he will get you the details.

Sadly I'll be 100 miles away tearing apart my RT all by myself. Sniff.

m
  19. Halen

Oddometer:
    You are correct. I saw that when I reviewed the email and why I did not post it. Good luck with your RT.
  20. KeithW

KeithW AIRHEAD

Oddometer:
    Still around I live Nichols Sawmill by the fire station

KeithW