Wisconsin to Yavisa, Panama - 2013

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by rjzinc, Dec 21, 2012.

1. rjzinc

rjzinc The World is My Home

Oddometer:
    Today I had my first personal experience with pick-up truck hospitality here in Texas. I read other posts regarding it but until it happens, you don't quite know what to expect. While riding Texas Hwy 35 heading towards Corpus Christi, I came up behind a pick-up truck and was preparing to pass, (Hwy35 is 2 lanes) while keeping his speed up, the pick-up driver pulls over to the right shoulder of the roadway and lets me pass. The same happened with a couple other pick-up trucks but not SUV's or passenger cars. I have to tell you, they sure do have the pickup trucks here in Texas, quite a few 3/4 ton trucks with diesel and the dully rear suspension.

Otherwise it was uneventful ride. Road I-10 from Orange to Houston then 59/288/35 to Corpus Christi. Also took a couple of FM (Farm to Market) side roads. High temp today was 64F, I was able to unplug the Gerbings.

Coincidence or not, the past three days I have had a conversations with someone in the hotel parking lot who warns of the dangers of riding in Mexico. I need to check out the "Is Mexico Safe" thread for recent updates. One guy just returned from MX and told me he was ripped of for $250 because the police told him his TVIP was invalid. He was driving a Suburban and then told me he had a "small" motorcycle in the back. So maybe the $250 was for the motorcycle TVIP?

That's all for today.

Rick
  2. rjzinc

Oddometer:
    Happy New Year. Currently on South Padre Island for a couple of days, riding into Brownsville today to check out the border crossing, insurance options, etc. My plan is to enter Mexico Thursday, 1/4.

On the beach
    [​IMG]

Another Snow Bird (18F in Milwaukee, 78F on the island. :clap )
    [​IMG]
  3. rjzinc

Oddometer:
    If you don't get insurance on the internet, you can stop in at Sanborns, 1945 N Expressway, Brownsville.
    [​IMG]

Border fence...
    [​IMG]

No firearms allowed...
    [​IMG]
  4. Animo

Animo Been n00b awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    In :lurk

Keep it on dos llantas!! :clap
  5. FJRick

FJRick Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ride Safe! I'm in too.:clap
  6. rjzinc

Oddometer:
    Got my Mexico Moto Insurance today, tomorrow I cross in to Mexico. Stopping at Sanborn's office in Brownsville worked better for me than doing it over the internet. Sanborn's has a lot of information available in the office I wouldn't have received over the net.

Sanborn's gave me all this stuff...Guess I'm now a member of the Sombrero Club :pimp
    [​IMG]
  7. intotheabis

intotheabis High on life!

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to this one.
    Safe travels.
  8. rjzinc

Oddometer:
    Is Mexico Safe? Day 1 there were no problems. Crossed the border at the Veteran's Bridge in Brownsville and arrived in Ciudad Victoria (~190 miles) safely. I rode the 101 which is typically a 3 lane highway with 1.5 lanes each way which includes the road shoulder as a half lane. Vehicles travel on this shoulder lane which leaves the middle lane for passing. Can be interesting.

Crossing the border I took a sequence of photos which illustrate the process to enter Mexico with a vehicle with the intent of travelling the interior.

Approaching the Veteran's Bridge (pay toll $3 US)
    [​IMG]

Once on the Mexican side, can't miss the sign
    [​IMG]

Find a parking spot, I was able to keep an eye on my moto while inside the building, YMMV.
    [​IMG]

First go to Migracion window to have passport stamped and get tourist/passsport card. ($25.00 US)
    [​IMG]

Then to the Banjercito window for Temporary Vehicle Import Permit ($448.48, $400 of which is refundable providing vehicle exits Mexico within date stamp). Needed original and copies of Passport, Title, Registration and the Passport/Tourist card. Copies .50
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The TVIP is 2 parts, 1 is a certificate and the other a sticker for the vehicle. I was asked at a checkpoint on the way to CD Victoria to produce the TVIP cert and also the tourist card and my passport. Sticker was on my windshield.

I took the turn to Ciudad Victoria.
    [​IMG]

Dogs are cool...
    [​IMG]

Note the Ruffles banner, they have the "Hey Rodgers' Discount Double Check"...:rofl
    [​IMG]

Secure parking at the Hotel de Escandon, CD Victoria. The overnight attendant is in the pickup (20 pesos tip)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

TVIP sticker on the moto. Notice the windshield wiper on the pickup in the background.
    [​IMG]
  9. BullShatter

BullShatter Gringo

Oddometer:
    RJZINC,

I'm following with interest....My 90 day walkabout to Central America begins in 2 weeks. I'm leaving from Scottsdale, AZ and following the Pacific side, but perhaps we'll cross paths in Central America somewhere. Ride Safe.
  10. h35064

h35064 n00b

Oddometer:
    Wow! Your 'spot' puts you in the Galapagos Islands. That's got to be amazing. The adventure continues!!! I'm sure you could care less, but we're getting dumped with snow back here in the Okanagan. They're predicting another 10-15 cms tonight. It's the classic winter wonderland - that's for sure. Great up at Silverstar though!
    The closest I get to motorcycles is tearing down my '83 Honda CB 1000 right now. It gets a rebuild this winter - a great indoor project and I'm learning a lot.
    I sure enjoy reading your reports. Good luck and stay safe.

Henry
  11. HoloHolo

HoloHolo 2 wheels !!!!

Oddometer:
    Oh Yeah!!!!!

Im stuck in Milwaukee my bike is in my garage in Iowa and I am sooooo jealous.

Safe travels
  12. BTL

BTL No more snow!!

Oddometer:
    St Albert. Alberta Canada. IBA Member 50093
    Trip looks awesome so far! Safe journeys. I like reading these RR's as I am locked in winter wonderland with less than 8hrs of daylight.
  13. rjzinc

Oddometer:
  14. rjzinc

Oddometer:
  15. Butcho

Butcho Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to your report...20 below wind chill here in Sconnie....waitin for winter to be over. Enjoy!
  16. rjzinc

Oddometer:
    I miss the 20 below. LOL. Rio Dulce is 72.....
  17. rjzinc

Oddometer:
    I rode to the waterfall yesterday and it was great. The waterfall is from a thermal spring into a cool pool of water. Going underneath and behind the waterfall is like a sauna. The water is hot like a shower , not too hot. it was really great after having had many tepid to cool showers on the trip. But I had to be on the lookout for the machete wielding banditos on the trail.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Definitely worth the visit.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=15.58948,-89.20590&ll=15.58948,-89.20590&ie=UTF8&z=12&om=1
  18. rjzinc

Oddometer:
    Today took a trip to Livingston, Guatemala by boat. Posting pictures later after a rest.

[​IMG]
  19. byron555

byron555 Lame Duck Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Greetings from Portage WI..... you lucky dog you! It has been butt-ass cold here the last few days, Brandy Old Fashions and fish fry are the only solace here this time of year... I did start my bike the other day though:D
  20. rjzinc

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the update. I miss a Wisconsin fish fry. My three meals yesterday

Breakfast - French toast (homemade bread)
    [​IMG]

Lunch
    [​IMG]

Dinner Beef soup with veggies/rice
    [​IMG]