12GS - VSS or tapping ABS?

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by bonox, Oct 23, 2006.

1. rdcyclist

rdcyclist Long timer

Oddometer:
    You're going to need an RT Bowden Box Cover to work with the CC spool; the GS cover doesn't have the right feature internally to mate up with the RT spool.

To get the over rev protection you're going to need to tap into one of the coil signals.
  2. rdcyclist

rdcyclist Long timer

Oddometer:
    On the 04-07's its under the tank. On the 08 and up it's taped to the fairing support just behind the oil cooler.
  3. rdcyclist

rdcyclist Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good stuff. You didn't really need to add the slack tube to the cable as the RT cruise spool is isolated from the throttle spool by a pin/slot mechanism. As long as you use the RT cruise spool spring, the Rostra cruise cable is not going to go slack inside the box.
  4. rdcyclist

rdcyclist Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is great information for those of you doing the install on 09's and earlier bikes. Unfortunately Motorrad deleted the VSS signal on the 10's and up bikes since the NavIV GPS doesn't use it and nobody would EVER use an earlier model GPS on a new bike. Naturally, I now have a 10. DAMMIT!:bluduh
  5. Denase

Denase Denase

Oddometer:
    Good information, I will add the cover to my order. Stinks about the VSS delete, but can the source of the VSS signal on the 09's and later be traced? Maybe tap into where the VSS wire gets its signal?
  6. Poolside

Poolside Syndicated

Oddometer:
    The VSS signal isn't brought out of the harness to a connector? Or, there's no separate VSS signal within the electrical system? Do you know if either of those is correct?

It might be true that there's no separate VSS signal. A discrete VSS signal isn't necessary for normal bike operation because the instantaneous vehicle speed data is transmitted to the instrument cluster on the CANbus.

<BR>
  7. Poolside

Poolside Syndicated

Oddometer:
    <BR>Typically, the instantaneous vehicle speed is calculated by the ABS controller using one of the wheel speed signal rings.

At that point, and within the ABS controller, the speed 'value' is placed in a data packet and sent to the instrument cluster on the CANbus. That's how the instrument cluster receives speedometer gauge information. Another example of that is the ECU sending RPM data to the instrument cluster on the CANbus.

In addition to the above, the ZFE controller constructs a VSS signal for use by the GPS. Though Rdcyclist says that possibly the VSS signal is no longer available in the harness. But there is still hope.

Even if there is no longer a VSS wire in the harness, the ZFE controller might continue to create the VSS signal, and still provide that signal to the same pin on the ZFE controller connector.

EDIT: For 2010 and later bikes without the blue/green VSS signal wire. From the schematics, the blue/green wire carrying the VSS signal comes from pin 42 on the ZFE module. So even if the blue/green wire is deleted from the harness on the 2010 and later bikes, the VSS signal might still appear on pin 42 of the ZFE controller.

<BR>
  8. Mad Kaw

Mad Kaw purveyor of fine BS

Oddometer:
    Sorry I haven't replied...been on a dual sport ride in the Ozarks. :D

Denase - You don't have to buy an RT cover. Just trim your GS cover at the "step" on the spool. This is what I did and it worked fine.

rdcyclist - of Motoradd deleted the VSS then what feeds the speedometer a signal since there is no speedo gear and cable like on the 1150?

I am about to install another of these on a friend 2006. I will take more/better detailed photos and do a complete documentation posting it here. Of course like RD says it the VSS portion may not apply to 2010 and later models.
  9. dede

dede Lefty

Oddometer:
    I think he used that as easy way to adjust and get the cable both extended and the length he wanted, more about the chain than slack.
  10. Mad Kaw

Oddometer:
  11. Poolside

Poolside Syndicated

Oddometer:
    On a bike without ABS, the signal from a speed sensor is connected to the ZFE controller instead of the ABS controller. At that point the ZFE controller converts the signal to a data packet and sends it to the instrument cluster on the CANbus.

From the schematics, the blue/green wire carrying the VSS signal comes from pin 42 on the ZFE module. So even if the blue/green wire is deleted from the harness on the 2010 and later bikes, the VSS signal might still appear on pin 42 of the ZFE controller.

<BR>
  12. Mad Kaw

Oddometer:
    THANKS! And great idea...we'll try to chase it down because after we install one on Bohn's 2006...we will attempt to do same on Jay's 2011 GSA.
  13. rattis

rattis Long timer

Oddometer:
    And do not forget a pictorial, pretty please:D
  14. rdcyclist

rdcyclist Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thank you for that Poolside. I'll check into that pin and see if it gives a usable VSS. I imagine the previously mentioned pull up resistor network will be needed to make it work with the Rostra.
  15. rdcyclist

rdcyclist Long timer

Oddometer:
    They only deleted the VSS signal at the GPS interface. Apparently the Nav4 doesn't use the VSS for dead reckoning like the previous Nav 1 through 3. I'll be seein' 'bout the signal at Pin 42 at the ZFE shortly.
  16. Mad Kaw

Oddometer:
    RD - please....if you do determine there is a useable VSS signal from "pin 42" post it here. Be interested.

Rattis - it will be at least a couple weeks before we install another Rostra on Bohn's '06 GS...but when we do I promise to document exactly what we did and take mucho pictures. :D
  17. Denase

Denase Denase

Oddometer:
    Mad Kaw

Its been a couple of weeks. Have you been able to install and document the Rostra? Inquiring minds want to know!

Thanks
  18. Mad Kaw

Oddometer:
    Not yet....but soon...soon...

And I promise to take lots of pix. Much easier to understand visually than with my limited writing skills. :rofl

UPDATE: We have a tentative date for 12/01 to install the Rostra on an '06 GS. Hopefully I'll have the write up finished by the 2nd or 3rd with photos.
  19. Mad Kaw

Oddometer:
    We are currently installing a Rostra on Bohn Frazier's 2006 R1200GS. I'm taking more photos than a Japanese tourist at Disneyland. I hope to have a "fairly" well documented write-up on the mods we made and the wiring in a few days.

MOO!
  20. Denase

Denase Denase

Oddometer:
    I will be checking for the report. Will it be a new thread?

Cheers