Rotwieler air filter

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by timbo45, Aug 6, 2013.

1. renogeorge

renogeorge Let's ride!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks man!! That is near my setup (2 into 1 FMF with SA) and I believe I will start with your map and settings and try some customization with the Tune ECU. If I come up with anything useful, I will share...
  2. CPRFAB

CPRFAB Banned

Oddometer:
    A 1000 ohm 1/4 watt resistor is commonly used and available at electronics stores (Radio Shack). Remove the plug from the removed SAS valve and cut one of the wires 1" (25 mm) from the back of the plug and the other about 2 so they are staggered. Solder the ends of the resistor to each wire keeping the ends of the resistor longitudinal with the wires so that they are in a tight package that you can slide a piece of heat shrink over. Shrink the shrink and plug it in. No FI light.
  3. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    Right, I know that the R designates chassis and a few other minor differences but until 2011 or 2012, the R also offered more power over the standard 990 until such time that KTM uprated the standard 990 to match the R.

What I am hoping to find out is if anyone with either any year R or any standard / Baja 990 owners (with exhaust) are using this intake system with the KTM Akrapovic map.

4. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    Ugh, never mind...I won't be happy until I have a custom tune with dual maps for power / highway economy so I will just order one of your filter kits, get my Bazzaz and get a dyno tune done right by my local tuner (who admittedly prefers Powercommander but PC-V only lists the KTM 990 through 2011 for some reason).

5. CPRFAB

CPRFAB Banned

Oddometer:
    Power Commander has a great product but they need to fire the guy in charge of updating their site info. Whoever that is has cost them allot of money. They do have units for 2012 990 ADV (we use one) and other models not listed. They also claim that they only have a single wideband Auto Tune for KTM Big Twins which ironically is not proper as the cylinders need to be tuned separately. This is also not the case as we have been running a dual wideband for over one year. The technition I called thought that the PCV for KTMs would not accept dual band in the set up menu but it does and works phenomenally.

Long story short, if PC doesn't show your bike model or year, just call them. The Auto Tune modules are generic (not bike specific as they contain no maps) and the dual band WILL work with the PCV despite what the guy on the phone tells you. The part number is AT-300. When you enable it in the PCV software just choose "dual band" for the Auto Tune and there you go.

We have been begging Dyno Jet (PCV) to get accurate info on their site because we get allot of phone calls complaining they don't have a module for them. They most likely do.
  6. tahoeacr

tahoeacr Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pc only does the newer 990 in the V because there is an ECU and wiring harness change. They don't want to put the R&D for the outdated ECU's. If you get a Bazazz there is no need to Go to a dyno unless your looking for thatlast 1/2 HP. I cangive you Air/Fuel ratios to input. Do you have oxygenated gas up here( I'm at Mosport testing all week:D)? Flying out of Tronto on Sunday. Maybe we can get together and Ivan give you a basic run down.

7. Rally_West

Rally_West Central Scrutinizer

Oddometer:
    Fired mine up today with my new CPR Rott (with red pre-filter) (2 into 1 Remus no baffle, although I may need it back in as I am kinda thinking stealthy is the new black)and Akro map loaded. Did the 15 minute mystical reset and spun it around the block. It feels pig rich and smells it too. I heard the comments about the very lean condition of the stock map (makes sense, KTM leaned it out for emissions I am sure) so I decided on the Akro right away. It looks like the only difference between the mapos is the fueling...since one map seems too lean and the other (at least in my case) too rich...it seems I could try to determine an average of the difference of the cell values and maybe use the percentage change function to increase of decrease one of the maps.

Does that make sense to anyone but me?
  8. spencergt66

spencergt66 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Did you turn the 02 sensors back on? or leave them off
  9. Rally_West

Rally_West Central Scrutinizer

Oddometer:
    On, but I think the algorithm is longer term than my loop around the block, so maybe it would sort itself out, but I'd like to start closer to the finished product.
  10. flynride

flynride Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Back to the OP....The Rottweiler Intake is a great system. I installed it on my 2013 Baja and it completely changed the bike for the better. There is a noticeable difference in power and ride-ability.

I am running the FMF Q4.1 pipes and the CPR intake (Grey Pre Filter) with the CPR (2 into 1) map.

I'd highly recommend this intake to anyone with a 990.
  11. BMacW650

BMacW650 .

Oddometer:
    I have it on my 08. Love it!
    But like others, the intake does complicate the situation with mapping.
  12. CMurgel

CMurgel Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Can you tell me what you had to do to install it?

If you can post a list of modifications and how much did you spent I would appreciate!
  13. laramie LC4

laramie LC4 flying something...

Oddometer:

couple questions as well.

1) did you disable the 02 sensors and the SAS?

2) how do you feel the mixture ratio is? you would think it might be a bit lean since your running a 2-2 exhaust system?

i have a complete rottweiler intake just waiting to go on (thank CPRFab :clap) but am really stressing baout the mapping.

thanks,

laramie :beer

2)
  14. flynride

Oddometer:
    It is not hard to install if you are mechanically inclined. Check out their website and go to the downloads page. Then on the bottom right of that page, there is a few manuals for installing the system on your bike. you don't need to modify anything really.

http://www.rottweilerperformance.com/

Total cost was about $350 for the intake kit and the SAS block off plates. Then you will need to load a mew map into your bike depending on other mods. I'm also running the pre filter because I am mostly in the dirt.

If you are looking for more power and a better running bike, get the intake...you will be stoked.
  15. flynride

Oddometer:
    Yes, I removed the SAS junk and I disabled the sensor through the TuneECU map. I had the dealer scan for codes after a few miles and nothing was found.

Don't stress about the map. I am running the CPR intake and dual FMF pipes. I loaded the CPR map for a 2 into 1 and the bike runs really good. The throttle response is insane!!

The bike does not show any symptoms for running lean. I think out of the 1200 miles since I got the intake, it back fired 2 or 3 times on decel. Not even an issue for me. You might worry if you are decelerating and the bike sounds like a firecracker.
  16. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    It's not that last 1/2HP that I'm looking for; yes, additional [performance would be great but I want smoothness (like the vibes that my KTM Akra map causes) and I want to run dual maps for power and economy with the switch. I also don't want to run any kind of auto tune because A) I don't want to drill out my exhaust and weld on a larger bung for the larger auto tune sensor and B) I am not going to ride for a period of time, check the values and then alter the map according to the auto tune module. If you have maps that are compatible with my setup, that's amazing and a very generous offer however I am leaving for Indianapolis for the MotoGP friday morning- thank you for the offer though.

As for Power Commander and their PC-V, it lists one model for 2007-2011 but nothing newer though I see by some posts here that it has also been used on newer bikes (12, 13). As far as I know, KTM did NOT change any wiring / harness / ECU specs from 2011 going into 2012 and 2013 so technically it should work but when I called Power Commander, they stated that they only support through 2011 and would not support my 2012 bike...annoying given my local tuner's preference for Power Commander though he has done plenty of custom tunes (both dual and individual cylinder tunes) with Bazzaz - he also stated that any sort of autotune (either the Bazzaz or PC-V auto tune) are a waste for me.

17. laramie LC4

laramie LC4 flying something...

Oddometer:
    thanks. now all i gotta do is find the time to do it. working like a dog at the moment and when i do have a weekend off, saturday is filled with honey-do's and sunday is for riding. really makes the week seem kinda short. :lol3

laters,

laramie :beer
  18. GLRRA47

GLRRA47 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey - Alongat. I'm interested in doing an intake and possibly an exhaust on my 07 990 as well. I've done the re-map thing with a Buell in the past and ended up constantly tinkering. Don't want to do that again and want to maintain good fuel mileage - so, gathering info. at this point. I'm heading to Indy GP today with several GS guys today. We'll probably camp South of the track - near the water tower across the street. If you're in the neighborhood - swing by.
  19. spencergt66

spencergt66 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not to change the subject but what did you use for the Buell as far as a mapping tool ? Mine runa likea crap:puke1 ???
  20. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    The guys I'm heading to Indi with didn't want to camp so we are staying at the Crown Plaza (nose turned up) and either riding or taxiing to the track for practice / qualifying / racing. Do you have email or Internet access? If not, you can also text me at 4169307405