enduro style mini licence plates WA

Discussion in 'Australia' started by rhino_343, Jan 24, 2010.

1. rhino_343

rhino_343 Southern Explorer

Oddometer:
    anyone know where to get the mini number plates that a lot of enduro riders use on their bikes? I dont mind if they are a sticker I guess but would prefer the metal or plastic ones?? I just want it to be an exact copy of my current licence plate.
    Cheers:super
  2. regie308

regie308 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just made up a graphic on the pc using autocad, printed as a PDF file and then saved that PDF file as a PNG file.

PNG file will let you scale the graphic at different scales without pixelating and looking crap (to an extent!!!). Then i just emailed it to "Ringmaster images" here in melbourne with the size that i want it scaled to, they print off, i pay by ccard and then it gets mailed to me.

You could take photo of your number plate and just email the raw photo to a place that do custom dirtbike sticker kits near you. Just remember to tell them what size you need it scaled to.

Also FYI, here in vic the law states that the original number plate must be fixed to the bike (regardless of sticker) So on my WR the real n/plate is on the front panel above the headlight and the sticker is a reduced size below the tail light (keep it as large as you can)......... the cops actually liked what i had done.

cheers
    regie
  3. guymcfly

guymcfly Banned

Oddometer:
    be a little careful with them...Wilmo got pulled over and was yellow stickered; not just due to the small plate, but we think it was why they pulled him over to begin with.
  4. regie308

regie308 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah i should point out my WR even though its fully rego'd i don't ride it on the road, only tow it to location of ride and its rare that i venture on tar roads with this bike.

I wouldn't do this sticker arrangemnt to a "ADV" bike

cheers
    reg
  5. rhino_343

Oddometer:
    Thanks Reg and Guy! I would only be doing this on my 200exc which, like you Reg, I only tow to my riding spot and it only gets ridden on dirt. I just want to eliminate the whole back end, plate, lights, extended guard etc. but still be able to show a ranger that it is a plated bike! So I guess easiest would be take a good photo and clean up in Photoshop then resize/resolution and send to a sticker shop. Do you think sign writers would do this or just the guys with the graphics kits etc for dirt bikes?
  6. Ezzy

Ezzy Crash test dummy

Oddometer:
    Will have to do the same, only ran the rego disc in past years, but as these will no longer be issued, will have to run the sticker.

keeping it bare to save costs on surfing side on, and the cops do you for running of road tyres anyway, but keeps the rangers happy.
  7. AllOrds

AllOrds -------------

Oddometer:
    KTM at the Causeway do them. Pay the money 5 days later pick em up
  8. regie308

regie308 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah a sign writer may do them, as long as they can put it on some thick durable sticker stuff... shouldn't cost you much more than $10-15

ringmaster images here in melb put in on 2mm vinyl.... very tough
  9. Wilmo

Wilmo Orange Fever

Oddometer:
    Yes, you live and learn! They pulled me up because they couldn't read the plate from a distance, and once they realised that I had aftermarket indicators, no rear fender extender or chain guide, Yellowed me!

I now use the proper plate, but still have smaller indicators on the new KTM and no fender extender. Used sparingly on the road though! And I watch out for the Highway Patrol cars...they are the ones that get upset.

One of the guys I ride with on Thursday nights got picked up by a standard cop car the other night on the way home from the trails through Perth's southern suburbs, on his 200EXC two stroke smoke billowing, number plate half gone, no indicators and they just wanted to know whether it was rego'd! He said yes, gave em the rego, and all good...free to go.
  10. Wilmo

Wilmo Orange Fever

Oddometer:
    PS. Its actually an offence to create your own number plate I believe, so the HP said to me when they Yellowed me. They were most interested in who made the small plate! (it was me). I told them I got it off a friend of a friend.
  11. neilaction

neilaction Slightly Less Adventurous

Oddometer:
    WTF, all these pimped up Lancers and the like getting around, and they yellow a trail bike where at least the mods are for a good reason.

Just filling his books up before maccas opens. :1drink
  12. iconman

iconman Good vibrations

Oddometer:
    Justin, I got pulled over for having the sticker license plate on my 640. I used a smaller version as the original plate covers half of the Staintune exhaust tip so the plate just gets torn apart over time (bad design by Staintune - in my opinion).

Cops went over the whole bike and fined me $50 for the sticker - it IS illegal not to have the original plate fitted to your bike. Even worse if they check your tyres and they are not street legal!

I know you say you won't ride it on the road but you never know...

Cheers
  13. gsd4me

gsd4me 90% bluff

Oddometer:
    Anyone thought of approaching the WA govt. with the view to changing the shape of the plate?

They are the longest bike plate in the country; beats me why they need all the alpha/numeric shit on them. I`m sure they could get all the information on them if they were a different shape, more square maybe, similar to the British/European shape. They could then be used as a de facto guard extender.

Thoughts anyone?
  14. InertiaDRZ400

InertiaDRZ400 AusSafari Addict

Oddometer:
    It is a bit unfair that we have to run full plates on enduro bikes as i havent had one last more than one enduro before they are dead. So i print and laminate my own! If the cops pull me over i'll gladly tell them why i use it!
  15. regie308

regie308 Long timer

Oddometer:
    they probably wouldn't mind so much if the the real plate is on the bike also.. (above the headlight)
  16. desert rider

desert rider SWL

Oddometer:
    If your worried about tyres, I run some used Miche Deserts that I had at the safari and as far as I know they are one of the few offroad tyres that are road legal.
  17. JayBo1

JayBo1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I put my original plate on the flat bed scanner and scanned an image. Then just resized to suit, printed off 1/2 dozen copies and ran them through a laminator. Cut the laminate plates out and then simply used double sided tape to attach to the rear guard. I thought with 1/2 dozen (I'm a Kiwi so avoid saying "6":lol3 ) copies they would last the year. The original is still on there - I've probably lost the copies in the mean time!:lol3
  18. angryad

angryad Don't drop the soap.

Oddometer:
    When i bought the gasgas, it came with a couple of number plate stickers made up. Obviously done by a sign shop, as they were cut out of reflective vinyl. I've got a vinyl cutter in the shed. Brand new, never been used.........

Alll them boys in Nannup we saw all got their bikes from Bunbury KTM. I reckon if ya gave Sander a call he could let ya know who does em.
  19. V8R

V8R Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    remeber, NHU (not for hiway use) doesnt mean squat in oz, but good luck convincing the cops of the fact.. if you have a dig on your state's RTA-type website, you will find the relevant wording..

as for plates, a good sticker (reflective vinyl would be ideal i guess) and the plate on the front would be the go you'd think..
  20. rhino_343

Oddometer:
    Righto I am finally getting around to this... I have decided to print some colour prints of my plate after scanning and resizing in photoshop and then get the wifee to laminate at work and I will stick with double side tape to headlight cowl at front Might carry the real plate in my camelbak just in case I get pulled over.

Now I got to find a nice neat fender eliminator for the 200exc, anyone know of one? I just want the tail light and some micro blinkers on the back