Radioman Rides the World.......

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Radioman, May 19, 2011.

1. BernardP

BernardP Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Radioman.

It was great meeting you, hosting you, and riding with you! Sorry you couldn't stay longer. Check out my website to see what you missed! Something to come back for :rofl

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. Mustang28027

Mustang28027 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Mark,

I followed your travels back when you were going through central America and lost track pursuing my own things. I recently got back on ADVRIDER and looked up my old subscribed links... and there you were! Spent the better parts of three days rereading your adventures up to page 198 where you entered India. I am SO looking forward to getting caught up with your experiences and challenges.

Last I read you were still grieving and missing your wife. I hope that you have recovered well in the time since India. For myself, I am fighting my own demons, presently about to be divorced from a woman I truly love, yet our own issues drove us apart. Separated a year and a half and it will all end next month. I am left wondering what I did wrong, what I could have done differently, and the guilt associated with it all. In a way, divorce and death of a loved one are similar, you miss them. But death means forever and divorce doesn't necessarily mean so( she is only five minutes away).

Your story is inspirational to all that have loved and lost. People handle loss in different ways. There is a quote in a Clint Eastwood movie," Get busy living or get busy dying". Obviously, you chose the living. Thank you!

Dave
  3. Radioman

Radioman Moto rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Dave. First. Sorry for the loss of your marriage. Indeed it is a loss and can be very painful. But I have learned Grief is a process that takes time for us to come to acceptance, and then work through the different stages, and settle into the new life without the person. And I have indeed been busy living life!! ( too short not to!!).

Thanks for following along, and so glad that you have enjoyed my journey as well!

All the best to you!

Mark
  4. Parcero

Parcero Mundial Supporter

Oddometer:
    Chicago physically, Colombia en mi mente.
    Safe travels home, Mark!
  5. Radioman

Oddometer:
    :wave Bernard! Thanks so much. Was great meeting you!! Indeed We will go to Somerset east when I return :D
  6. capeklr

capeklr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That sounds good. :thumb
  7. Radioman

Oddometer:
    Did not have very good internet, so have been delayed getting updated.....

Last Wednesday Stayed in this great place on the Ocean.

http://www.singingkettle.co.za

Awoke to sound of crashing waves and light rain, but it was still was wonderful!

Had a morning cup of coffee and breakfast on my deck overlooking it all. With more time, I would have stayed here much longer :evil

[​IMG]

But needed to keep moving toward Cape Town and my deadline for crating the bike up.

As I finally get going and riding along the beach homes, this one stood out.

[​IMG]

Also had a very nice Skype message from Lily and Tina (the dog) telling me they "missed" (auto corrected to the wrong word) me at "home". :D Jorg and Lily have been so great and made their home, my South African Home. :deal :clap

[​IMG]

Road out to the main road..... Am I sure I need to leave? :evil

[​IMG]

But yes onward along the coastal part of the Garden Route. No rain really just grey skies..... (maybe just a little preparation for going home :D )

[​IMG]

Through Knysna, Wilderness, Victoria Bay, George, Mossell Bay, I go. I know that a big storm is coming in and before the end of last week it would be fully hitting the coastline..... So I carry on to Swellendam, so that I can ride early to Strand and avoid the weather!

Stayed at a little place called Grace Walk B&B. Ester and her husband run the place and were great!

http://www.gracewalk.co.za

[​IMG]

In the morning I had breakfast and started talking with their Son Martin and 2 other guys who were staying there as they did their Telcom work. All very interested in my ride. Even took a few photo!

[​IMG]

Martin is a skilled artisan and gave me a very cool cross that he made. Most kind!
    and very generous! Thanks Martin :wave

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As I rode west, had my first South African road block stop. They were just checking driver licenses and registration. No Reg Disk :huh Oh.... Foreign plate :huh Ok go ahead! :ricky

[​IMG]

As I stopped for my last gas stop in South Africa..... I watched as the Shot Gun toting security guy was very watchful as the armored car made it's stop.

[​IMG]

Then I rode out along the wonderful coastline.... The storm was building in the mountains. I headed for Blue sky !

[​IMG]

Last bit of Gravel road ......

[​IMG]

Then carried on along the coastline. The wind was picking up and clouds folded the mountains..... I have been along this road before. felling good!

[​IMG]

The ground was wet..... But not raining now.

[​IMG]

Fortunately for me, the online forecast was perfect..... Rolled through Rooi els....still no rain, but the dark clouds were off the coastline now.

[​IMG]

Continued on the coastline, on the famous Clarence Drive

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I arrive Strand early afternoon. Get settled into my B & B , and then the rain starts...... And did it rain! WOW. Flooding everywhere. 90 MM that afternoon. Flooding everywhere. Glad I was off the bike and warm and dry.

[​IMG]

Rained the entire next day as well. But I stopped for two nights

Normally a very nice Beach with lots of people enjoying the summer sun.... But not today! Wow. They evacuated the Hospital, 3 people died because of the flood.
    Very Sad.

[​IMG]

I met up with a friend for dinner, great conversation, and laughter while all the rain come down. We had a great evening talking! :thumb :wave

Then back to Jorg and Lily's Sunday morning to get the bike all clean up and repacked for the next part of the Adventure.

[​IMG]

on the way home. BMW Police cars? :huh

[​IMG]

Monday Morning early I needed to ride the final Kilometers to the Airport to meet with the Customs official and get the bikes Carnet signed and approved for air freighting!

[​IMG]

Jorg snapped a photo as I left!

[​IMG]

Arrived at the Shippers office, on time.....

[​IMG]

Atlantic BMW of Cape Town gave me a crate and I had it delivered here. Great It was ready and Waiting ! Thanks Lynn for the help! :wave

[​IMG]

Got the bike on the crate, ready for Customs, to Verify VIN, and paperwork. Left the front on so they had esker access to vin on the steering head.

[​IMG]

Nazeem and his guys were great helping hold the bike while I remove the front wheel, and get it all crated up! :thumb

[​IMG]

One of the guys had a bike, and loved checking out my bike. He wants to move up to a DS bike for longer rides. Also talked about riding gear, safety etc. :thumb

[​IMG]

Bike all crated and ready to go. Has been an interesting set of emotions as I rode the final distance, and packed up the bike knowing this was the last shipment of the trip. Still a long ways yet to travel after reaching LAX. I had a smile, relaxed and thinking about all the people I have met, places I have ridden, and experiences that I have had. WOW. I do not know anything about what the future holds. Just looking forward to the month ahead as I ride back to the PNW, stopping to see my Brother and Step Son in Arizona, and meet up with some great Adv riders along the way. Just living the moment.

[​IMG]

This ride has been amazing. Know I have grieved, grown and changed! Will be trying to put this into words as I finally ride into my driveway later in December.

Had a little issue with my Carnet, as I did not stamp out of South Africa while crossing into Botswana. The customs guys just said, No you do not need to.... Carry on. My passport is all correct and documented.... They stamped me out, but one page is not complete, and I certainly do not want to have issue claiming my deposit. It has been escalated up to Higher levels in Pretoria, and I need to make a call to AAA tonight to be certain all is well. Just part of traveling with a moto! Will get things sorted!

[​IMG]

I wait at the security gate for Jorg to fetch me, and the guard gave me a chair!! Relax. (but it feels strange to no longer have my Bike to ride) New adventures Ahead!

[​IMG]
  8. LumpyOne

LumpyOne Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great job Mark! So sad to see the Major part of your adventure come to a close but I hope you keep us posted on the next chapter. I have been following along since the beginning and have always looked forward to my morning read. Always appreciated you staying up with this report. Sure isn't easy.

I wish you all the best and know you will do very well. If you are ever swinging by Minneapolis would love to meet you and hear first hand about the adventure.

Stay cool!

Tim
  9. Radioman

Oddometer:
    Thanks Tim. Appreciate your participation in the ride!!
  10. DetoX68

DetoX68 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A great ride it was, and again, thanks for sharing. :thumb
  11. Radioman

Oddometer:
    Thanks... Not done yet.... Several thousand KM's to go......yet.
  12. InTheMuck

InTheMuck So it goes...

Oddometer:
    Amongst the has beens & the addicts (Milwaukee)
    Are you riding cross country? Where are you shipping your bike, and do you have a planned route?
  13. Isgro

Isgro Free ranging...

Oddometer:
    Mark, I have thoroughly enjoyed following your journey. Thank you for taking us along for the ride. Best of luck on your next chapter.

If you ever find yourself in Massachusetts and need a place to stay please don't hesitate to reach out. :ricky
  14. Radioman

Oddometer:
    I fly out in Two days time. Just received a reply email ....... After landing in LAX, and will be going to a taping of Jay Leno on Friday November 22nd That will be fun!!

[​IMG]

After a full day getting bike crated and packing. Jorg and Lily and I had some Champagne to celebrate the time we had riding in South Africa...... and to future where we hope to ride again! Cheers! :freaky

[​IMG]
  15. Radioman

Oddometer:
    Thanks!!
  16. MortimerSickle

MortimerSickle Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Rainville, Orygun, where moss is a road hazard.
    As a guest?

If not, I would think that if Jay knew of your travels, he would like to interview you, or at least meet and BS with you.
  17. Radioman

Oddometer:
    :lol3 Yea right. Maybe an ADV email campaign to his office would make that happen ! Just like Ewan and Charlie..... but without the celebrity, looks, money etc....

Just going to the taping on this friday
  18. MortimerSickle

MortimerSickle Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Rainville, Orygun, where moss is a road hazard.
    OK guys, you heard him. :D
  19. Radioman

Oddometer:
    Something like this.....

[​IMG]
  20. Radioman

Oddometer:
    That would be "Shameless Self promotion" :lol3 :lol3 But would be fun to do!