Most Important Things to Know For a Motorcycling n00b.

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by MotoMusicMark, Mar 26, 2010.

1. Dolly Sod

Dolly Sod I want to do right, but not right now Supporter

Oddometer:
    Make sure you read all the threads on countersteering, weighing the pegs, and ABS. They are very concise and informative.
  2. geolpilot

geolpilot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Even if you don't pass, you will learn a lot. When you pass, realize that you still don't know much and above all, either ride alone or with someone who will go at your comfortable pace. An adrenaline rush is a message that you are exceeding you skill level. I still occasionally get them after more than 50 years of riding. They mean slow down and pay better attention. Remember push down to turn. Push down.
  3. tlub

tlub Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Take the class, ASAP, without the significant other. You want no distractions, whether that distraction is a person or a worry about what that person might think. Sure, go over what you have learned with the SO, but do this on your own. It will only be you, without a co-pilot, working the controls when you do ride, and you should learn in that mental environment. All my girlfriends that learned to ride did it in the MSF course WITHOUT me (although I knew them at the time) because that is the way to learn the most. (OK, one I met in my first MSF course, but that doesn't count!). BTW, the final girlfriend is my now-wife of nearly 30 years.
    And a Ninja on grass sounds like a fish on a bicycle.
  4. 1911fan

1911fan Master of the Obvious Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ride it home from class, if the roads aren't too busy. Or, if you truck/trailer it to class, unload it and ride around your neighborhood or any other area you will be comfortable in. But go ride!! That day!! Right after class!!:clap

1911fan
  5. CosmoKorny

CosmoKorny Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm an experienced rider but took the class with my two teenage sons. The instructor thought it was great, and I just rode and let my boys watch. It was a fantastic bonding experience. That said taking it with my wife would've been catastrophic.

There was a lady in the class who didn't pass. She was told she could retake the riding portion of the class for a nominal fee.
  6. ER70S-2

ER70S-2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    You know how the clutch works, take the class. :freaky
  7. ghulst

ghulst Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    With you on that. Take the class as soon as a spot is available. Then, ride the bike preferably every day after. Best way to learn. Start on quieter roads and build up. You'll have fun.
  8. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
    TOO MUCH WORRY! JUST TAKE THE CLASS!!!!!! :D

When I took it there were at least 3 people (inc. one young female) who had NEVER even SAT on a moving bike before the class!! They all learned tons, rode fine and passed the test at the end. I think you are over-thinking it and getting too anxious. Maybe your BF wants you to think it is harder than it really is, so you stay impressed with his biking prowess???? I am sure YOU CAN DO IT!
  9. ghulst

ghulst Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Go!! Have fun!
  10. quasigentrified

quasigentrified Bikeslut

Oddometer:
    well done. my wife took the class and passed never having ridden a bike before, and although she wound up getting a scooter, she's a natural in the corners. you'll learn tons and have a blast! :clap
  11. BCKRider

BCKRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    One thing to consider about practice - it perfects what you are doing. If what you are doing is WRONG, then you have to UNLEARN some bad habits as well as learn good ones. The beginning MSF class is really solid in most areas, so do exactly what the instructor tells you to do, even if your boyfriend tells you differently.

Since you have a road bike and intend to ride the roads, try to do exactly that as often as you can - preferably on lightly travelled roads - as soon as you legally can. (And yes, ATGATT.)

When I was a noob, I found it very helpful to ride both ahead of and behind more experienced riders - but only ones who were willing to ride my slower pace. You want to be both alert and comfortable as you practice the technics you learned. If you think you are going too fast, YOU ARE!

I found (and still find) it a good idea to concentrate on one or two things each practice ride. And EVERY ride is an opportunity to practice your technic. What you learn from concentrated practice will stay with you when you concentrate on another technic or two. And you can always take any technic or "situational awareness" to a higher level.

Practice the most important things first (you will learn what they are in the course) and leave the more advanced technics (leaning off, trail-braking, number of fingers on the brake lever, etc.) to later. Some or all them can help you later, but you can't learn everything in the first year.

The goal is ALWAYS first to survive, second to learn, and third to have fun. I think women are less likely than men to get these priorities mixed up.
  12. geolpilot

geolpilot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Don't tailgate. It is recommended to keep 2 seconds behind the vehicle ahead. I prefer 4 or more seconds. Just watch the vehicle ahead pass a landmark and count one thousand one, one thousand two and so on. If you get passed and that vehicle takes up your cushion space, slow and open it up again. I do the same in cars.
  13. CosmoKorny

CosmoKorny Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Huh? Why be a target.
  14. braindigitalis

braindigitalis Wet weather sucks!

Oddometer:
    When filtering, watch the positions of the wheels of the traffic beside you. If a cager has forgotten to signal thr fact that his tires are pointing into your direction of travel is a good sign he is about to pull out on you.
  15. MotoMusicMark

MotoMusicMark n00b

Oddometer:
    I don't quite get what you mean by "Why be a target?" :hmmmmm:hmmmmm:hmmmmm:hmmmmm:hmmmmm:hmmmmm

P.S. I just had to say something...Looking over all the choices of smilies to insert I never would have thought of a smilie "humping" another smilie but there it was! People can be oddly creative at times, wouldn't you say?
  16. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Loosely Translated he likely means that you should always ride slightly faster than the general flow of traffic. (for safety) :D
  17. Big Bamboo

Big Bamboo Aircooled & Sunbaked

Oddometer:
    The "Lots of little black stuff down in it" is most likely the fuel line disintegrating. That would explain why it keeps showing up and plugging your idle jets even though "boyfriend took out the carbs, cleaned them". One of the first things I do on any new to me vehicle is replace the fuel lines (belts, hoses, etc) ASAP.
  18. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
    could also be crap in the tank...
  19. ER70S-2

ER70S-2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The pilot jet is very small, if you don't have an inline fuel filter, get your SO to install one while he's replacing the fuel line (mentioned above). :nod

[​IMG]

From ProCycle
    [​IMG]
  20. Pecha72

Pecha72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Couldn´t agree more. What´s written above here, is one of the most important things that you need in order to survive. Always stay one step ahead, that means you have an alternative plan, if (or when) something unexpected happens.

And I´m not saying you should always go very slowly, but do remember that your options (or alternative plans) are reduced, as speed increases.