Byob '10 - June 11, 2010 - at the Oxyoke in Galeton, PA - a Farm Rules Rally

Discussion in 'Regional Forums' started by Bueller, Jul 2, 2009.

?

who is actually going to this thing

1. IN - I am going to BYOB

2. out - I am a fairy and staying home and though you should know

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Bueller

Bueller Cashin?

Oddometer:
    UPDATE AS OF OCTOBER 9, 2009

IN LIST

Augie_Dogie, beantop, Bueller, cruceno, Dave2, deerslayR, DirtyBones, ducky950, eddie bolted, evildave, Fauster, Flier, frugal, gelandestrasse, Goon, gsweave, Hog Rider, HWSNBN, JaxObsessed, Jeff B, JimStrom, Kathy R, knybanjo, monkeyfez, Motorcyclist, Mr. Ray, MRHAPPY, mutineer, OleGrumpy, PhilSpace and spacewife, PrtclMn001, R1100RICK, Rick G, roadhousecharley, RPD1, sallydog, SlipChip, SpencerCompton, Thisguy, Trailing Jack, v4rider, xtphreak

ORIGINAL POST BELOW
    Well, someone had to start it.

When? Where?

My vote - that place we were looking at in Tellico.

If so, earlier June is probably better than later June. If the venue moves farther north, later June is probably better.

Chris - sorry you couldn't make it. I hope your wife is getting better. Are you passing the torch or do you want to take on next year's event?

Regardless of who does this before you make a suggestion of venue you should consider whether or not it meets the following criteria:

1) Adequate bathroom and shower facilities to handle approximately 100 extra tent dwellers for the weekend (in addition to their normal business).

2) Cabins/hotel rooms on site or at least very close by capable of accommodating about 30% of the attendees. This can translate into 30 - 60 people wanting to stay in a hotel room or cabin.

3) Many miles of trails/dirt/gravel/off pavement riding close by.

4) Lots of twisty pavement and interesting places to visit on a day ride.

5) Alcohol.

6) Historic decent weather for the date chosen. For example I wouldn't recommend choosing the Louisiana coast and expect most people to be anything less than miserably hot :lol3 Having said that, though I was involved in last year's BYOB planning and the hills of S.E. Ohio are my home turf I cautioned everyone about the propensity for lots of rain and unpredictable weather carrying into early June in this area. The decision was made to go ahead with it anyway. We got lucky.

7) Ideally the combination of camping and rooms should be centrally located. Galeton is probably the best example of this. Admittedly it is difficult to find a place that proivides all of this, but the closer we come to meeting these guidelines the better the event promises to be.

So there it is. Suggestions?

:ear
  2. HappyRiding

HappyRiding Appalachian American lost up Nort

Oddometer:
    I like Tellico Plains. Boojum! had his Fall Old School Rally at the Cherohala M/C Resort last year. It seemed pretty nice to me but it is currently for sale and only has four showers and potties. It has a big gazebo and a small restaurant.

http://www.cycleresort.com/
  3. Mtn.Bound

Mtn.Bound Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    seems like a nice place but not many cabins (7) and they only occupy 2 each so of about 100 people 14 get to sleep in a cabin I tented BYOB but I know that cabins were in demand
    just my 2 cents
  4. KLboxeR

KLboxeR Yeah, I ride a Harley. So what?

Oddometer:
    I really only jumped in because it seemed like the event was headed for the dustbin for '09. I'm happy with being the interim guy and letting someone else take it this year.

Some suggestions:

Bring it north again. In trying to avoid conflict and overlap with the ER, locations became pretty limited as did the time slots. Rick's already got a good, major event that covers that area. Try and jam another in and one or the other is going to suffer.

Eyes on site are an obvious need that I dropped the ball on. Despite assurances and best intentions, there's no substitute for someone who understands the scope and needs of the event getting out there. I intended to do this early on, while changes could still be made, but I flipped my knee over backwards in Feb and that injury/surgery/rehab prevented any sort of travel. Who ever takes the event should understand that it'll be difficult to get others to check out the site and if they do, their perspective may not take all the issues into account. They will have to go to the candidate sites themselves.

If Bob (Mtn Bound), Rick (R1100Rick) and Dan (GSweave) wish to be involved in next year's event, by all means, get them on board. Top shelf people that get the job done.

If I think of anything else, I'll pipe up.

Edit: Wife is getting better, slow but sure. Thanks for asking
  5. Drif10

Drif10 Accredited Jackass

Oddometer:
    I scouted Hunt's Lodge in Tellico Plains, it would be a good spot.

Looking back, the best place we held this was the Ox Yoke in PA. Had everything we needed, all in one spot, owners are riders, they catered it for a very reasonable price, even a bar.

I know we like to move this one around, but perhaps it's worth considering going back. Last year and this we didn't make out so well, plus this would be far enough from Rick's bash to catch a bunch of other folks with limited time off.
  6. Bueller

Bueller Cashin?

Oddometer:
    I sent you a PM, but I think the point is good for public consumption too. I appreciate your efforts. I didn't want to or have the means to take any of it on again this year. Drif - who carried it for a long time - coudn't do it either. It takes work, and anyone who hasn't done it probably doesn't understand how much. I don't know what attendance was this year, but I know it is typically a lot more work to accommodate this crowd than it used to be in the early years. Yea, it's called BYOB and the original idea was to just show up with whatever, but those days are over. For example, last year's event had close to 200 in attendance with somewhere around 100 to feed on Saturday night. It ain't easy putting it all together, and considering your ass is on the line when anything goes wrong the pay sucks pretty bad :lol3 I gave up lots of personal time in advance of the event doing scouting, meeting with potential caterers, doing damage control when the campground manager stumbled across the thread on Advrider and saw some comments that worried her :bluduh and gave up a decent portion of my weekend to get the dinner to the campground and give everything back the next day. The money had to be managed, accounted for, and the remainder donated to a charity after the event. There are a hundred other little things that happen to make the event work. In my opinion anyone who feels like complaining about the outcome is entitled to a refund of all of the money they paid you :D

To that end, I hope that anyone who bitches about anything from this last weekend isn't directing it at you. Don't be so hard on yourself, most of us had a great time. That's what it's all about.
  7. Bueller

Bueller Cashin?

Oddometer:
    Only if you promise to show up this time, you friggin' blohard.
  8. Drif10

Drif10 Accredited Jackass

Oddometer:
    Talk to the hand, barge pilot.

And my cardiologist.
  9. Bueller

Bueller Cashin?

Oddometer:
    All you had to do was get down here. My Dad would have kept you in great shape. He's OB/GYN :lol3
  10. knybanjo

knybanjo kinda slow

Oddometer:
    Already planning a year in advance?!?

You guy rock!! :deal

I'm still trying to figure out what to do for the 4th of July...tomorrow. :lol3
  11. Johnny West

Johnny West Mitzi - "tire-hugger"

Oddometer:
    Everyone seemed to like Boyer Station, WV in 05 :wink:

Also, I'm friends w/ the owners of this place located near Cambridge, Ohio:
    http://www.timberlinecabinsohio.com/
    [​IMG]

They have 3 big cabins, and 4 cottages [located along the treeline to lower left in the pic.] that can house 52 people.
    A large area to camp in the middle and behind the cabins in the pic above.
    It borders Salt Fork Lake/State park, which has a lodge and restaurant.
    I went to a party there, and they had a guy come in and prepare a meal.
    [​IMG]

I'd be willing to help organize, if this place was chosen....
  12. SlipChip

SlipChip Adventure Commuter

Oddometer:

+1 Galeton Rocks! :super
  13. gsweave

gsweave Yinz, blinkers are on, JACKWAD! Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Alrighty then,

Chris, i think this will be your baby for "10" since you missed out, this year:evil

I couldn't make Galeton, but highly recommended it since it is a great location. and my future retirement spot.
    I do however like the travelling location theme. 4-5 years from now may be better for a "return too"

Two other spots that will work, are:

Yokums in WVA

Blue Ridge motorcylcle campground in Caruso NC.

they were high on the list for 09 and are perfect contenders.

John, Cambridge should be on that short list as well.
    It looks like a great spot.

Somewhere in NY would be nice, can anyone find a place?
    Va, in or near the GW would also also be great.

I am best as a behind the scene helper so... I am ready to serve:deal whoever takes on the task.

BYOB 10 "Just bring it".
  14. LadyDraco

LadyDraco KillerSmileIHazIt !!

Oddometer:
    We stayed at Blue Ridge way back when....
    I think it has changed hands now ... The bath house was dirty & nasty.....
    But that was back in the mid 90's....
  15. Augie_Dogie

Augie_Dogie Ride More; Post Less

Oddometer:
    Yokums

Stopped there on the way down.

It looked like a nice setup.....very comparable to Galeton.

On it boss....I'll see what my PEEPs gotz.

Ditto

A_D

PS ...Hey Steve--- If ya'all read this...Next time you have a group this big...spring for portajons.
  16. Augie_Dogie

Augie_Dogie Ride More; Post Less

Oddometer:
    Greg,

I hope you don't mind if I used your selection criteria in Regionals to shake the bushes for a potential location in upstate New York.

A_D
  17. PARTY BOSS™

PARTY BOSS™ FORMERLY R1100RICK

Oddometer:
    KLboxeR, Thanks for mentioning consieration for my event . I would appreciate whoever is involved in planning this event to keep in mind that the Rendezvous is the weekend in May between mothers day and memorial day. Please try to keep the two events about a month apart . I and many others like to attend both events and we all need to work a little inbetween.

I personally like the Idea of Galeton since I missed it last time, and they got it all . Tellico is good too .It's far enough away from where I might do the Vous, as to have some different riding options. Cruso ,Bad Idea . I almost got thrown out of there for "talking to loud" by the owner.
    So I think going there is Out of the Question . They also have their own resturant which serves very mediocre food.
  18. PARTY BOSS™

PARTY BOSS™ FORMERLY R1100RICK

Oddometer:
    Has anyone ever looked into the Warm Springs area of virgina? I might do some research there.
  19. Rider

Rider Spectacularly Correct

Oddometer:
    I have no idea where I'll be a year from now, geography- or job-wise, but I hope to get more involved again.
    I hereby appoint Bueller Assistant Chair to the Assistant Secretary. :pope
    Or something.
    :lol3
  20. Jack90210

Jack90210 quia ego nominor leo

Oddometer:

I like that area and have hosted several "street" rallies out of Natural Bridge. The cottages at the Inn there are kinda pricey for what you get, but for smaller groups it's a nice place with beds and showers for everyone. Don't know much about camping in that area but I know a bunch of good roads there.

PM me any time, Rick, if you have any Qs.