Husqvarna TE 250 thread!!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by midengineracer, Apr 30, 2010.

1. bobnoxious67

bobnoxious67 Baby steps...

Oddometer:
    Wife is lusting after a 2012 TE250 at the local dealership (one of the short ones)...any problems with these bikes we should be concerned about?
  2. Slimie

Slimie Long timer

Oddometer:
    For me the biggest issue was finding the time to ride!

Oh, and the instrumentation was less than reliable. Ended up taking it off and using my GPS as a speedo.

Edit, mine was a 2008. Looks like they've changed now.

-Simon
  3. Mulley

Mulley stay dirty my friend

Oddometer:
    Good looking bike. Where did you get the graphics? I would like to do the Italian theme on my 2011 TE310.

[​IMG]
  4. jxg

jxg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i have a 2010, and that year definetly has starter issues. newer ones seem to be better, but still some complain. i mostly kick mine now (usually starts first kick). used to ride an 360cr left hand kicker, so this ones a snap compared to that :D.

check out cafehusky.com for lots of good info on these bikes.
  5. Buster714

Buster714 I'll ride anything

Oddometer:
    Just dropped the Rekluse in the bike Friday and went out for a break-in ride ride Saturday in Mojave... wow. :clap It's turning into a nice little cheater bike.

[​IMG]
  6. Liza

Liza Dirty Girl Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am the aforementioned wife...still lusting...getting a little closer to pulling the trigger. :D
    Everything I've read says that this is NOT a bike for and significant street riding mostly because of the narrow ratio transmission . Which is fine...eyes wide open on that front. I am curious about it otherwise. I'm not super experienced rider, but I'd like to get better. Will I be completely overwhelmed by this bike? Or will I be able to manage it as an advanced beginner? Anybody with seat time on one of these care to share their thoughts?

Thanks!
  7. jxg

jxg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i will give you my thoughts based on a 2010 te250.

mine is geared COMPLETELY for offroad (12/52), and with that setup, i can attest it is not road worthy at all. on all the short connector roads for Pachaug trails, i feel like I am screaming down the road, when i am probably actually going 40.

but i don't expect this bike to be a daily commuter. it is a fantastic bike for offroad use. i am short (5' 8 1/2"), so opted for the koubalink, which is supposed to make the bike handle not as well. i noticed no difference at all (except that I became much more comfortable with it, and probably will take the link off this spring).

the bike has plenty of low end grunt (i have the jd power tuner - highly recommended). not sure how i feel about recommending it for an advanced beginner or not, although i am leaning that way. it is great for a beginner because it is light and very maneuverable (sp?), but you can also scare yourself with it. i had been away from dirt bikes for over 20 years (used to ride a husky 360CR). then bought a new Kawa klx250. that was a great dual sport, but found i was beating the crap out of it a Pachaug, and also killing myself trying to throw it around, with all its extra wait. bought the te250, and have no regrets at all

you are more than welcome to give it a try if you are ever in southern RI, or at pachaug.
  8. Liza

Oddometer:
    Thanks. The 2012 comes lowered...which is nice. That and it's weight are primarily what appeal to me.
  9. jxg

jxg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    yes, i think that lowered version becomes about the same height as my TE with the 1" koubalink. the weight difference between the TE and the KLX was very noticable (that and the 17HP stock to 32 HP, if i recall the numbers correctly).
  10. Liza

Oddometer:
    I hear you...I'm riding (when I actually ride) a lowered 99 DR350. Though it does have a 440 kit, so power isn't too bad. But I'm thinking the weight decrease would be nice. Not to mention real suspension.
  11. JRP

JRP Old guy Supporter

Oddometer:

Hi,
    I have one and it is an enduro bike with plates. Mine came with a 40 tooth rear sprocket which was useless for off road and I still felt the bike was screaming at 50 mph.
    I have changed to a 52 tooth rear and it is much better off road and will cruise at 45 or so on the road, still higher rpm than I care for. Mine is stock and form an idle to maybe 1/4 throttle it doesn't have much power, so if you are going to try to ride trails very slowly you're going to be doing a lot of clutch slipping.
    All that said I think it's a great bike.

I see you are in MA, you are more than welcome to come try mine if you like.
  12. Liza

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the insight. :D
  13. creaky

creaky Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Getting off a DR350, the TE will feel like a motorized bicycle on steroids. It is about 45 lbs. lighter than the DR, has worlds better suspension, you'll like it.
  14. Tachedoutoffroad

Tachedoutoffroad Mr. Parrish

Oddometer:
    The suspension is x100 smoother than the DR, the weight is x10 better.

The power comes on really high in the rpms and will be A LOT different than the DR. And will it much more snappy and hit harder. Granted I had a 310, but the dr350 is a underpowered, dual sporting around the world pig and the TE is a nitrous, blown, enduro, euro sex machine :clap

Very different rides. The Husky wants to GO! That's where it shines.

I had a 50 tooth on the rear and could ease the woods and cruise at 50mph for about 20-30min, but farther than that, it was in the back of the truck. It's only a "DS" because of the tag.

::::: if someone within a few hours is offering a ride on one, TAKE IT!
  15. Slimie

Slimie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ha! I got off a 990 KTM and onto the Husky, it really DID feel like a mountain bike! And compared with the DR350 that I owned on the late 90's it's a world away, the suspension is superb and the engine pulls stupendously, the seat isn't too awful either!

I only sold mine because work, family and a crumbling home took too much time. I loved it, big grins every time I rode and fellow riders telling me how gorgeous the bike was!

-Simon
  16. Liza

Oddometer:
    I couldn't stand it! Pulled the trigger :D
    [​IMG]
  17. Slimie

Slimie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yummy!

:clap
  18. jxg

jxg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    power up, then chop that rear fender, otherwise the trail will do it for you (don't ask me how i know :evil).
  19. bobnoxious67

bobnoxious67 Baby steps...

Oddometer:
    Hey man, you're close...we need to hook up and ride:deal
  20. jxg

jxg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Definetly. Do you guys ride Pachaug every? Also, do you know of anywhere in between us (i have no issues heading over the bridges)?