Guitar thread

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by rajflyboy, Jan 31, 2010.

1. Chuck289

Chuck289 Air cooled

Oddometer:
    I see you have had a couple Frank Vignola models. Have you ever seen him perform? I saw him a year ago with Tommy Emmanuel, it was an amazing show.
  2. backdrifter

backdrifter Wannabe rider

Oddometer:
    Thanks! It's been a fun ride. There are very few guitars that I've wanted that I can't say I've owned. It's a good thing I'm not a hoarder - I could never afford to own all of these at once! A few things in response to your comments:

The orange Setzer was great. I too saw the BSO Christmas Show, I think in 2009 in Nashville. It was phenomenal! What a way to kick off the Holiday. That guy can still play, it was really, really good.

The D1 was actually a "Style 3" sunburst. It looks like a western shaded top because it was so bright out that day. It was a nice guitar.

As you can tell, yes, I love Collings guitars. I've owned many, and every single one has been amazing sounding and perfect in fit and finish. They are my absolute bar when it comes to fit and finish. I've had guitars that cost two or three times as much, but to my ear the Collings guitars always sound better. They're certainly not cheap, but when you factor in what you get, they are a bargain in my book. Yes, an I-35 or a Soco Deluxe would be a welcome addition to my stable at some point, and I still wouldn't rule the possibility out in the future. I'm just taking a break for now because my guitar lust started to overbear my practicing. I became more worried about getting a new guitar then learning a new song - the tail was wagging the dog and it shouldn't be that way! By the way, if you get the chance, take the Collings tour. I've done it three times now - fantastic people, great shop. You'll only come away from it liking them even more!

The 00 deep body sounds really cool - did you by chance get it from LA Guitars? They have some nice custom all-mahogany Martins available. I love mahogany tops. They are bit more mellow with less overtones than spruce guitars. The D1Mh was a monster. Mahogany is not always quieter just because it sounds fatter. That guitar was LOUD and strong. I miss it - it was my first Collings. I had a chance to buy it back recently, but the CJ is really working well for me so I passed.

Spend that refund on guitars, my friend! It is up to you to stimulate the economy through purchases, and what better purchase than a shiny new (or old) guitar? :D

My wife and I have our second on the way, so I'm taking it easy for a while - however, the thought of having a custom build made to commemorate the new baby HAS crossed my mind! :evil

By the way, my D2HA was another beast of a guitar. With clarity. And projection. And tone for days. A great all-rounder. I can't imagine that you would be disappointed with a D2/German. And I'm with you, I'm actually not big into the bling (despite what some of the guitars above seem to suggest) - a nicely appointed traditional looking dread is perfect. There's a reason most flat tops still resemble prewar Martins - Martin got the aesthetics right!

Thanks for the comments!
  3. LPcreation

LPcreation Adventurer

Oddometer:
    No problem! You are correct in that the early models of the Classic pre-dated the R0's and their prices are reflected on the market! The 1990-1993 LP Classics are the creme of the crop in that line (btw - totally agree Gibson has way too damn many lines). The had really slim tapered necks, white inlays, and the headstock said "model" instead of "Classic". Really great guitars and very collectable. An LP Classic from 90-93 easily goes for over $2k.

I had a 91 honeyburst and my #1 is 96 Goldtop that's heavily modded. Both Classics and great guitars. Thanks again for showing us your collection.
  4. backdrifter

Oddometer:
    Hi Charles,

Yes, sir. Frank is one of my favorites, if not my absolute favorite guitarist ever. I've seen him live four times now. The first was for the Mel Bay recording of "Frank Vignola Live at the Sheldon" in St. Louis (a great DVD well worth owning if you haven't seen it). I had recently purchased my first Benedetto, and at the time, Frank was still playing his Benedetto. I saw his name on Benedetto's website as one of their endorsers, so I asked my dad if he wanted to go see him with me. We knew nothing else of him, and had no idea what to expect. Holy crap were we floored! Since then, we've both become HUGE Vignola fans, and we see him every time he comes close.

Last time he came through he was at a little jazz club in STL called Jazz at the Bistro. We sat at a table right up against the stage. It was just him and Vinny, and as always, man, did they put on a show!

Even better, that same day Frank lead a guitar workshop at a local store. I signed up and expected it to be a classroom of 40 or 50 people - basically a cluster. But, it was only $20 ($5 less than tickets to the show) and I wanted the opportunity to learn from Frank, so I went. I showed up and there were SIX people total, plus Frank and Vinny! We sat in a small circle and jammed together. It was one of the best guitar experiences of my sad existence. Truly phenomenal! I still had the Benedetto Vignola guitar at that point, and it was fun to hear him talk about the model. He was pretty surprised when i walked through the door with it!

I also saw Frank with Tommy Emmanuel - that was another great one, and Tommy is no slouch either. Actually, I think Tommy is a much more flexible player than Frank, but overall I gravitate towards Frank's playing more.

I always try to turn people on to Frank. Even people that aren't into guitar or jazz or gypsy jazz, or whatever. I tell them to go to just one of his shows. Him and Vinny are so entertaining and put on such a great show that I think anyone would become a fan after seeing them live.
  5. backdrifter

Oddometer:
    The other thing that came back to me last night is that mine was made in the custom shop, which also may be where my confusion came from. Apparently the pre-R0 Classics were. I still remember the custom shop logo on the back of the headstock. Anyway, yes, it was a great guitar, and like so many others, is missed!

The '91 honeyburst sounds amazing, and I'm always a sucker for goldtops, though unfortunatley I've never owned one - any photos? :D
  6. Dismount

Dismount Dagnabit billy

Oddometer:
    I don't mind having an old crappy beat up guitar. I'd just like to be able to produce something resembling music out of it for more than 2-3 seconds at a time. :lol3
  7. LPcreation

LPcreation Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I only have crappy photos of my guitars. :)

Here's one bad photo. I took it mainly to show off my new amp. It's a Phaez JTM18. 18 watts of pure heaven with different boost selectors to go from a JTM, to a JCM800, to a full blown Plexi. Awesome, awesome amplifier. I also got a Avatar 1x12 with a Vintage 30 instead of the Marshall. I'm getting to old to haul those damn 4x12's
    [​IMG]

Here's a photo of the '91 Classic. I sold it to a guy in TN. The headstock was damaged in shipping but it all worked out.
    [​IMG]

Here's an older photo with some of my stuff. A '95 USA Telecaster, a '98 Wolfgang Standard, an Epi Dot, and the 2 LP's. I have a Martin DM and a Seagul Entourage Rustic not shown, along with a SG Jr that I'm currently modding. Also not pictured is a 1960b Marshall 4x12 with the G12-75's, and the Avatar I mentioned above. The two Fender amps are an 80's red knob Twin, and a 1971 Vibro Champ.
    [​IMG]

Another Goldtop shot. The photos really suck. Dark basement with an iPhone.
    [​IMG]

Here's the Wolfgang. GREAT guitar but I can't get over the 80's body.
    [​IMG]
  8. backdrifter

Oddometer:
    Very nice gear! I grew up worshipping Slash (still love him) and I've always wanted, but never had, a Marshall or Marshall inspired half stack, or better yet a full stack, with a Les Paul. Someday I'll have to scratch that itch!

The truth is, these days I rarely even turn the distorion/overdrive on at all. I'm mostly a clean player, but every once in a while I revert to my teenage testosterone days and crank it up to some G'N'R or Pantera! :D

The Peavey looks nice. I also had an Ernie Ball/Music Man EVH back in the 90's. It was Eddie's first signature guitar. I actually liked the looks quite a bit, and it was a phenomenal guitar. I sold it on eBay in 2005 or so to help pay for my wife's engagement ring. I don't think I miss the actual guitar a ton, but it had some sentimental value - my mom helped me con my dad into getting it for me. I wish I had kept it for the sentimental value alone. I've actually tried hunting down the person I sold it to in an effort to buy it back, but without luck.

Enough of my sob story - when you've owned 40 plus guitars, there are lots of them!

Yes, that Phaez looks aweesome. I've found that 18 - 20W is just about perfect for a tube amp. It's plenty loud to play anywhere, and any more and you can't get that nice overdrive at reasonable volumes.

Nice gear! :thumb
  9. LPcreation

LPcreation Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It's actually funny because I've never been a LP guy, but it's been my only real player guitar since 1997. I grew up liking SRV, Clapton, some Black Crowes and Kirk Hamett (sic?). I was really influenced by the blues stuff but wanted to be different from every other blues player with a stratocaster, so I went with a LP. That LP is similar to your Peavey, my dad said no way and my mom talked him into it. I've got it set up with 50's style wiring and DiMarzio 36th anniversary PAF's.

Anways, my main amp (before the Phaez) was a Rivera Rake Head. Very rare (not super valuable) but awesome. It's got a nice Marshall dirt channel with a Fender clean channel. Plus, it has an option for modern/vintage so I can play with either 55 or 25 watts. Very nice feature.

I play in a rock band now covering 90's alternative with a little 80's classics and modern stuff and play probably 80% overdrive. The 18 watts of the Phaez is almost too much, but it sounds amazing. You should check him out if you ever get in the market for a Marshall voiced amp. It's basically a guy in his basement and he only sells the chasis. The head cab and tubes are up to you.
  10. Josephvman

Josephvman I'm the Decider Supporter

Oddometer:
    I struggle with the hoarding thing, and I've got a few things I'd really like to cut loose but just haven't gotten around to. One is a late 80's Epiphone Sheraton II (their ES335), blonde with gold hardware. Very nice instrument but it just never grabbed me, but considering it's probably worth $300 on it's best day I've just held onto it. I've also got a pretty cool mid 80's Dallas-era Schecter Tele, in a creme finish with black binding and hardware, very pretty, a fantastic neck, and much more versatile than my '85 American Standard Tele.

I've been to the Collings factory for the tour, and it ranks right up there with my tour of the Ducati factory! Bill really is a genius, and you just don't find too many people that are true engineers but also craftsmen who understand how to give an instrument life. On top of that, he is such an out-of-box thinker, just a fascinating person. I love his instruments because though they resemble iconic instruments like pre-war Martins, Les Paul's, ES335's, they don't try to duplicate the sound of those instruments, but have their own distinct character.

11. PolyrhythmFX

PolyrhythmFX Adventurer

Oddometer:
    They are good amps. I prefer it to the Dual Rectifier because it simply has more headroom. And you can pick them up for cheap if you look hard enough. I got mine for about 1/3 the price of a new one.
  12. josjor

josjor Long timer

Oddometer:
    The largest geological formation in the U.S.A.
    I don't lust after too many things that come into my shop, but last week we got in a Loar LH-309-VS and I haven't stopped drooling. Really nice finish and a great sound for the price. My favorite bit: It retains the classic V neck profile that was prominent on Gibsons from the 20's and 30's. Fat tone through a Classic 30 I plugged it into.

Funny thing is, I never, ever play electric. This makes me think that I need to order one of their archtop acoustics for myself. I deserve it, right?:D
    [​IMG]
  13. assquatch20

assquatch20 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've had a '72 SG laying around awhile, borrowed a friend's amp until I can get something new, was messing around in the garage and realized I have a phone with a decent mic now, so maybe some of you guys will like this. I greatly enjoy Van Halen and Derek Trucks, if that explains anything.

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pUN2y6cu6CM?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pUN2y6cu6CM?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
  14. DangerMoney

DangerMoney Loud Helmets Save Lives

Oddometer:

Nice. What's the tuning on the guitar?
  15. assquatch20

assquatch20 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oh man, no idea, but it's the same intervals as dropped-D. Probably C or C# though. Likely not on the dot though. I just tune with myself most of the time.
  16. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:
    What do you mean by headroom? Are you talking tonal or just raw gain?

I actually have a Mesa rectifier cabinet, http://www.americanguitarandband.com/product/USED4JB/USED-Mesa-Boogie-4JB-4x12.html (yeah how long have I been carting that around)

However the confluence of money and need to grab a Mesa head to go with it hasn't happened considering that its been like 9 years since I played a gig.
  17. Murphy Slaw

Murphy Slaw Long timer

Oddometer:
    Headroom is the ability to stay cleaner longer (for more volume).
  18. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:
    Tonal, that is what I meant I've heard it both ways.

Also the ability to stay clean isn't terribly high on my list of things :lol3. I have loud as hell already in the form of a old 120W tube peavey....and I mean old it predates the Ultra 120 Plus.
  19. DangerMoney

DangerMoney Loud Helmets Save Lives

Oddometer:
    In the general case, the higher powered amps also develop more low end... because they have the power required to do so.
  20. crazydrummerdude

crazydrummerdude Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer:
    Wow, what a coincidence!

I just saw Frank Vignola play a week ago here in Oklahoma City. That was all the inspiration I needed to get back into classical guitar lessons, and here I am.. fumbling over music as I find the right notes on the neck. I have a recital at the end of the semester. :clap