The XL600 thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Gregster, Jul 6, 2007.

1. Billtr96sn

Billtr96sn Flange Furtler

Oddometer:
    SORRY!! I was totally wrong, must have had a massive brain fart!!

You could still buy the parts you need and have them posted over though
  2. RFVC600R

RFVC600R Long timer

Oddometer:
    No sticker, just a big ugly dirt bike. I fixed the clutch lever since then, picture was taken right after my first ride.
    [​IMG]
  3. Homerb

Homerb Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    True. Though from what lve read on other forums to convert an XL600 to electric start requires a change of crankshaft, as well as left side crankcase and starter motor and stator cover. Lot of trouble and expense. Might be better off trying to find a lmf or rmg motor or bottom end at a wreckers or on ebay.
  4. crobox

crobox Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm sure this has been covered before.... and if it's been covered in depth before then we don't have to go over it in depth again... maybe someone could give a short answer of point me to the previous discussion... but:

Could one buy an XR650L bottom end (electric start) and swap on an XL600R top end (dual carbs, works with center-mount mono-shock) ?

Would the connecting rod need to be swapped?

Wouldn't that be a good way to get an electric start XL600R, with domestically sourced parts?

Now don't get me wrong... I'm not necessarily anti-kickstart. It definitely has it's cool factor. But I did own one of these XL's in my 20's (20 years ago, 20 years younger!) and there were times that it wouldn't start, and that was REALLY frustrating. I will get this bike in good shape, and if it kick-starts easily every time, then I won't worry about this anymore. But if it ends up being frustrating, well then that is why I am engaging in this thought experiment NOW, to know my options.

Thanks,
    Christian
  5. mcma111

mcma111 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cut to the chase. Just buy a XR650l. No fuss, no muss.
  6. crobox

crobox Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Install rotor cover gasket DRY? Or with a little silicone?

Anyone have experience installing dry (which is what I understand Honda recommends) and regretting it?

(It's a Honda OEM gasket)

Thanks,
    Christian
  7. crobox

crobox Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am familiar with that logic... and it's very compelling.

On the other hand, I already HAVE an XL600, and the XR650 purchase option entails at least a $ grand or two outlay.

So, just looking at options....
  8. High Country Herb

High Country Herb Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer:
    I really like this color scheme. To make it even better, I would also paint the number plates (side and above the headlight) blue to tie it all together. Blue and orange go well together, as they are on opposite sides of the Color Wheel. If you haven't already done so, do a Google image search of the color wheel, and try combining opposing colors, such as blue and orange, purple and yellow, etc.

While it is possible, and has been done, I think the consensus is that buying a newer e-start model is the cheaper way to go. Personally, I like the older bike's wide seat, so I might consider the conversion. Probably cheaper to have a custom seat made for the newer bike, though.

Easy starting on the XL is all about proper tuning. If the valves are adjusted correctly (easy), and the carbs are in good shape with no leaks (not so easy), the XL starts as easy as the average 250.
  9. RFVC600R

RFVC600R Long timer

Oddometer:
    How much work is it changing fork seals? I've never done it before... and those bitches are leaking.
  10. mcma111

mcma111 Long timer

Oddometer:

It's duck soup. I'm finished with the seals in a couple beers. Ten minutes a side tops.
  11. crobox

crobox Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for that link. I also have to do mine, and for some reason thought it would be difficult. Looks easy though.

On another note...
    I am pretty serious about the dual headlight mod. Mostly because 1) I think it looks awesome, and 2) I have never liked the look of the rectangular light. Dunno why, just never have.

So, I was about to go ahead and purchase the dual headlight assembly from a Yamaha FZR600 off of eBay, when I noticed something... the Mercedes 300D that a friend of mine abandoned on my land several years ago (bad tranny) had inner headlights that were the right diameter...

Here's a pic from the web (not the car at my place)

[​IMG]

I called my friend to OK it, and then took out the headlight assemblies. The frames (or plates... they are cast aluminum) that hold the lights are pretty nice, and they have REALLY NICE adjusters for beam direction. So I stripped the lights out of the mounting pates, cut them in half, and TIG welded the "small" sides back together.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

See what I mean about those adjusters? They're awesome! And also this new assembly has tons of good places to mount itself to the bike.

One issue is that the lights are the kind where you insert the bulb into the back... they are not sealed one-piece units, and the bulbs in there are single-filament (no high beam... or no low beam.. not sure really). So, I have to either look for a replacement bulb that fits in there that has multiple beams, or just get new 5.75" diameter sealed unit lights. I'm not sure of the right approach, but next time I am in town at the auto-parts store I will figure it out.

Next up... (although this won't happen for a while because I can't do it until the front end is put back together) I will fabricate from aluminum a little fairing/cowling to go around the lights. I will probably try to closely emulate the stock euro-only-dual-light version, cuz I think it looks good.

Christian
  12. crobox

crobox Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    And also... my bike is in so many pieces all over the shop that I thought it would be fun to take a panoramic picture of it. It's too big, however, to post here... (plus I don't wanna put TOO many pictures of my build on here... just trying to be sensitive. Sometimes I think I should just start a build thread... but this seems to be where the action is)

HERE is the panorama. If you look closely you can see parts of the bike all over the place.

Christian
  13. crobox

crobox Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I talked to Mike at Ricky Stator today about the issue, he said I had 100 watts to work with on the lights, and I think that 50 watt bulbs are pretty standard in that diameter.
  14. RFVC600R

RFVC600R Long timer

Oddometer:
  15. Ivanych

Ivanych Ivanych

Oddometer:
    :eek2:eek2:eek2:eek2
    You have a great opportunity!
    Excellent working-shop!!:thumb
    Start a new thread and post more pictures.
  16. LandsVW

LandsVW Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I read the whole thread! Do i get a cookie? Seriously, love all the info. My XR600 loves it too. Now on to the "call all XR600R" thread! My bike is waiting for Christmas break so I can get back to 'er.
  17. m2h

m2h "Old guys rule"

Oddometer:
    Have tried to find a thread on xl600r oil leakdown. My '86 which i have finally got running ( project!) after stator replacement wont show an oil level. Have filled with 2litres of oil as per this thread so i know its got some. Could someone help or direct me to a page? search dont seem to help much. Also does anyone have a tacho for this bike. Am in New Zealand and there does'nt seem to be one in captivity.
    Thanks
    M2H
  18. RFVC600R

RFVC600R Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ok guys my vacation is coming up in a few months.

Option #1: Cash out my vacation and dump all that money into my XL600. Looking to upgrade suspension and dump the rest the money into the engine :D

Option #2: Take my paid two weeks and go on a good, long ride. Something worthy of a Ride Report.

If I take option one, I do not know when the next time I will be able to go on a ride of more than a day for a year. :cry Still going to joyride, commute sometimes and do my usual atleast once a week offroad day though.

The suspension is crap on this bike stock but, thats just 'cause its old. and I seen the fork conversions in this thread and others and I think that would be the biggest improvement I can make for the bike.

Input plz?
  19. mcma111

mcma111 Long timer

Oddometer:

Perhaps the reason your not getting a reading on the dip stick is that the bikes oil capacity is 2.5 liters. Now go add that .5 liter of oil and report back.
  20. CNRED

CNRED It'll be OK Supporter

Oddometer:
    I too have inquired around about an electric start XL600r, have considered an XL600m motor and even a whole XL600m, but the price and red tape to get one into the USA was beyond what I felt it was worth.
    I still feel an electric start XL600 would make a great bike.
    I'm a large Honda dual sport fan. I have more of them then I care to admit. Sudstituting an XR650L for a XL600r is not a viable alternative for most. The geometery, of the two bikes are quite diffrent and most importantly the seat height of 37 inches for the XR650l makes it uncomfortable to ride for those under 6 foot tall.
    A reasonable compromise is an NX650, gret power, excelent transmission, seat height about the same as the XL600r and best of all ELECTRIC START. The problem is they have become hard to find and in some cases expensive. Fairing and plastic parts are difficult to find. The motor is the same basic motor as the XR650L uses today.
    I would welcome a staright foward response for someone addressing how to make an electric start XL600r, I have one right now that is ready to go back together (it a frame and a motor presently).
    I would like to know about a XL600m motor swap; some combination of xl600r and xl600m motor modification for a swap;
    xl650L motor w swap; what will work?
    There has to be an answer, I'm sure someone out there knows the answer. post it up there are folks interested.