Tour of Idaho 2014

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by pizzaforbreakfast, Jun 9, 2014.

1. pizzaforbreakfast

pizzaforbreakfast Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Anyone riding the T1 this summer?

It is a 1400 mile dirtbike ride across Idaho from Utah to Canada. You can read all about it here on the motorcycle jazz website: http://www.motorcyclejazz.com/TID.htm

The new tracks are up for 2014 and there are a number of changes compared to last year. I checked some snotel sites and there is still deep snow up high right now but it is melting fast. The window will soon be open (1+ month) but we won't know for sure until someone reports in with a RR.

I am in no way affiliated with motorcyclejazz and I have no official info. I have never gotten the chance to meet Martin but figure he must be a badass for a) fathering the TID and b) getting banned from ADV rider. It would be a shame not to have a thread about the TID here for 2014.
  2. 81forest

81forest ADDRider

Oddometer:
    There have been a few threads that pop up. This is a dream ride of mine, but I will have to wait until next year probably. Are you doing it solo? Renting a truck at the North end for the return? I'd be interested in hearing your strategy and prep.

I think it would be the ride of a lifetime, probably only a small percentage of ADVers would even consider it since the website basically says KLR riders need not apply...

:hide
  3. sasho

sasho Dual Personality

Oddometer:
    I was following Day 7 (T7??) of the route last year and had tons of fun. I ended up camping by Priest Lake, behind a marina. I was on a KLR for what its worth... :huh
  4. pizzaforbreakfast

Oddometer:

I did it solo last year for my first time. This year the plan is to go with a buddy. We will be renting a uhaul up north and driving it back down to Poky, then riding the rest of the way south to the truck.

Here is my RR from last year:
    http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=907546

Mike and Bill's 2013 ride:
    http://mikebilltid.blogspot.fr/

Shane, JT, and TD 2013:
    http://www.scribd.com/doc/169242484/The-best-week-I-have-spent-with-JT-and-TD

Joe's TID 2013:
    http://www.motorcyclejazz.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=142

Vic's TID 2013:
    http://www.motorcyclejazz.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=133

Wazzu 2011:
    http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=724807
  5. pizzaforbreakfast

Oddometer:

There are guys out there that could do it on a KLR. It probably isn't the weapon of choice for us mortals though. I'm not one to try to tell someone what they can't do so I say go for it!

For me it is about staying as light as possible as I believe that will give me the best pace for the least amount of effort.

Day 7 is definitely 90%+ big-bike friendly. There is this one section day 7 I wouldn't want to have a big bike on though...

[​IMG]
  6. MasterMarine

MasterMarine Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had planned to try it this summer but wussed out and am going to Nevada again instead. :cry

I can't wait to read your RR for this year's ride of the T1! :D
  7. pizzaforbreakfast

Oddometer:
    Attached below are the 2014 waypoints converted to tracks (including all alternates). All the challenge points/sections are marked with waypoints. If you are riding the T1 this summer you may find this helpful. Please let me know if you see anything wrong with the tracks or waypoints.

EDIT: The T1 route changed in mid-July this year. See post #28 for an updated gpx file of the entire T1 + challenge points.
  8. Jungle Man

Jungle Man I ride motorcycles sometimes.

Oddometer:
    Excellent thread! I Am planning on doing it this year. Was going to go solo in august, but it might be better with a buddy.
  9. pizzaforbreakfast

Oddometer:
    Whatever you do, do it!

Attached are waypoints for a number of SNOTEL sites along the T1. Some are still showing 4'+ of snow on the ground today.

You can view the SNOTEL site data here
    http://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/snotel/Idaho/idaho.html

Attached Files:

10. 81forest

81forest ADDRider

Oddometer:
    I just read your ride report from last year, outstanding! :clap

You mentioned that depressing feeling at the end of the ride. I know that feeling:waysad. A weird kind of heartbreak when you realize its time to go home and park the bike.
  11. Jungle Man

Oddometer:
    Thanks a TON for putting the gps route on!. I have been connecting dots via google earth ahe other points because I suck at tech stuff and I'm using a trail tech voyager.
  12. pizzaforbreakfast

Oddometer:
    Does the voyager show you a map, or just arrows?
    This year I have moved to a garmin montana, bike powered via the garmin rugged mount. My buddy will be carrying my 60csx as our backup.

Just spoke with the Elk City ranger station. The Magruder is only open to the 8 mile marker from the west end. They had initially expected a mid-July opening but have now moved their estimate up to July 4th. I will check back with them next week.
  13. gameyogi

gameyogi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm riding the t1 this August with a couple of friends, doing all the prep work and test rides now to get ready. I've done a couple of single track rides that were around 135 miles in a day, I'm thinking 200+ miles in a day is going to be a long day and a lot of work. My kinda work
  14. doggitter

doggitter Long timer

Oddometer:

Hmm. uuhhh hhmmm.
  15. Jungle Man

Oddometer:
    the voyager is just lines. There is probably a way to create a route as an entire map but from my layman knowledge it would take eons.
  16. obrianmcc

obrianmcc Long timer

Oddometer:
    Really enjoyed these reports ... Thx for posting!
  17. birdcool

birdcool Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Note that the 2014 T1 track and challenge points will be changing from those gps files posted here and on the TID website.
  18. pizzaforbreakfast

Oddometer:

Thanks for the heads up birdcool. Please keep us informed of any updates.
  19. Jungle Man

Oddometer:
    ^^^ ditto
  20. birdcool

birdcool Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Updates to day 3 and day 4 and CPs just got posted on TID website. Martin twisted the right hand and got it done faster than he planned.