Vermont and New Hampshire Dual Sport Thread

Discussion in 'Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carp' started by jackpiner57, Jul 30, 2011.

1. jackpiner57

jackpiner57 Moto-Racks.com Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thought I'd start a dual sport thread for people in VT and NH that are planning a ride or just looking for someone to ride with. Riding off road alone is always a bit risky especially if there's no cell service.

I'm up for a class 4 and legal trails ride this weekend Sat. or Sun., so post up if you're interested!

Vermont Town Highway Maps including Class 4 and Legal trails - http://vtransmaps.vermont.gov/mapsftp/current.asp

New Hampshire links -
    http://www.nhstateparks.org/explore/find-it.aspx
    Click on "ATV Trails" at the bottom of the map.

2. bmah

bmah Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Unable Sat, Sunday is a possibility, Monday for sure!

Would this be on your KDX or DRZ? I have a TE630.
  3. ellivnad

ellivnad uber n00b

Oddometer:
    I very well may be in for tomorrow. I'll post a bit later tonight.
  4. ellivnad

ellivnad uber n00b

Oddometer:
    Sorry Tom, looks like plans for DS riding today have been vetoed :cry
  5. jackpiner57

Oddometer:
    The DRZ is my current dual sport machine. The KDX is my dedicated trail bike that I use for Netra turkey runs or whatever trails I want to truck it to. Monday is out for me. TE630? Nice!

No problem, there's always another time! Looks like I'm going kayaking with my wife today. I guess she still has some veto power too.:lol3
  6. bmah

bmah Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We will have to make it another time. I have to work tomorrow anyway (Monday). I do have Sunday through Wed available the remainder of Aug.

I just got the TE630 a couple of weeks ago, still getting it sorted out. I plan on it being my Adventure Touring mount and planning to take it to the Trans Lab late August early September. I am not sure if I will keep my Wee or not.

Keep me in mind if you want to ride.
  7. jackpiner57

Oddometer:
    That sounds like a great ride!

Sun. thru Wed. got it. I'll post up if I can get one of those days off this month.
  8. jackpiner57

Oddometer:
    Rode some nice trails yesterday in the Newbury, West Fairlee Center and Fairlee/Bradford area. I passed a rider on a GS on rt.5 in Fairlee and gave him a wave. I was standing on the pegs and headed north and he was headed south. Was that bigkidinvt??

Forest Trail becomes Urqhart Rd. in Newbury;

The start:
    [​IMG]

continuing on:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bradford town forest:

[​IMG]
  9. bigkidinvt

bigkidinvt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was only on route 5 in bradford village200 miles most on gravel
  10. De Oppresso Liber

De Oppresso Liber Long timer

Oddometer:
    Those trails look great! Gotta love the rock/mud/elevation change combo! This is EXACTLY the type of terrain I'd like to seek out..... a challenge for a newbie like me, but fun enough for the experienced to still enjoy. Too bad I was late to the thread, but unfortunately wouldn't have been able to make it this weekend anyway. If you ever get any weekday rides planned, let me know and post up for everyone..... definitely a thread to watch! :evil

I will be getting my schedule sorted out in the next day or two, will post up here as well as start a new thread to hopefully catch the most amount of folks looking to ride. I'm in central Mass, ten minutes from the New Hampster border..... Vt isn't too far...

Does Vt have an OHV sticker requirement? I know NH does.

CJ
  11. EvilClown

EvilClown Standing by to standby for a possible disregard Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Great idea, Tom.:thumb

:lurk
  12. rustbucket

rustbucket Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'd be down for a dual sport ride in the southern half of NH/VT some time. I'm on a klr and a total newbie, though...

Sent from my phone using magic.
  13. henrymartin

henrymartin Mr. Tourguide no more.

Oddometer:
    Let's plan something for this weekend, say Sat (or Sun) in the Monadnock, NH area. Something like a 1/2 day ride would be awesome, with 6 riders or less.

I'm familiar with the swanzey-Richmond trails, and two weeks ago I rode some of Ringe with a powerline trip through New Ipswich.

Wouldn't mind doing some more of that.

PM me if interested, and we can try to work something out.
  14. bmah

bmah Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Tom,

My Husky needs to see some of that dirt! Those are just the sort of trails/roads that I've been looking to ride.
    I hope that we can make it happen.
  15. jackpiner57

Oddometer:

Those trails are a lot of fun and are Class 4 town roads and Legal Trails. In Vermont, we don't have OHV stickers for fully road legal vehicles. Here is the Newbury town highway map that shows Urqhart Rd. (44) as a Class 3 turning into a Class 4 turning into a Legal Trail. http://www.aot.state.vt.us/Planning/images/townmaps/Newbury.pdf

The town highway maps don't have road names, so you have to open google maps and switch back and forth to figure out a route with road names.
  16. henrymartin

henrymartin Mr. Tourguide no more.

Oddometer:
    We are doing a Sunday (August 7) ride around the Monadnock, NH area. Nothing is set in stone yet (time, tracks, etc), just a few hours of riding around some DS stuff with emphasis on off-road. We got 2 (maybe 4) riders, so if one or two more want to tag along let me know. 6 total is about the max, I would say, so it doesn't turn into an unpleasant day.
  17. baiku

baiku Maniacal Engineer

Oddometer:
    Very interested, Tom, but lacking in talent. :(: Pix 2,3 and 4 of your post #8 look to be over my head. I ran into some Class IV on Dodge Road in Chester yesterday that almost ate my lunch, but looked easier than your pix.
  18. bmah

bmah Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would be up for that. Please post any details.
    :clap
  19. kbroderick

kbroderick Long timer

Oddometer:
    http://maps.vermont.gov/imf/sites/ANR_NATRESViewer/jsp/launch.jsp has road names but is a bit clunky (you need to switch to the roads layer and then use the identify tool (the i-in-a-circle) to find out the road name. The big plus is that it will give you both the road name and the town highway number.

Back on-topic, if any of you are thinking about a big-bike-friendly ride in (or near) central/northern Vermont, I'd be very likely to be game. I have knobbies for my 1150, but I don't claim to be particularly skilled in employing them.
  20. guymanbro

guymanbro da Vermonster

Oddometer:
    I'd love to go, how does one get an appropriate sticker from the NH gov't? I'm in Southern VT near Wilmington so it ain't that far to go...