KLR650 Only Thread......

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by willys, Nov 19, 2011.

1. lexluther11

lexluther11 Ride,Eat,Rest-Repeat

Oddometer:
    If you get a Eagle Mfg & Eng Prevailaing torque nut it's easy to swap sprockets. http://www.eaglemike.com/Prevailaing-torque-nut-PTN.htm The stock 15t would be best for around town. Sunstar make some nice sprockets. IMO
  2. Henderson757

Henderson757 Living the American Dream

Oddometer:
    Will that make switching the front sprocket easier? because I could not get that thing off for the life of me, I watched every youtube video and read treads, and kept feeling like I was going to break it. lol Probly be easier with a air gun, instead of hand socket.
  3. lexluther11

Oddometer:
    It would be nice to get a tips and link sticky going maybe? Tips for doing maintenance, and links to KLR part suppliers or info.
  4. lexluther11

Oddometer:
    Yes it comes off easy and you don't need to use a lock washer. I put the front tire up against a wall and have someone sit on the bike with the rear brake on. Loosen the nut then take the chain off.
    thechief86 likes this.
  5. Canuman

Canuman Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer:
    My KLR fanatic mechanic regularly drops a tooth on the front, (to a 14) and rides some hardcore woods. He claims the advantage to this is that the slack can be taken out with the adjusters, so changing chains is unnecessary. One tooth is the front is equal to three in the back.
  6. willys

willys Long timer

Oddometer:
    The only gasket I have had issues with is the base gasket if touched for some strange reason. It's sililar to a halogen bulb. Once it is contaminated it seems to weep a bit. Best way is to wear fresh rubber gloves and use permatex sealant 515 I think it's called both sides of the gasket. No oil or grease anywhere near it and it will be fine.
    Side case gaskets, I use stock gaskets and have never had an issue Head gaskets, either stock or already machined out for the big bore kits, again never a problem.

Carry on Gents...all's good.:freaky
  7. Henderson757

Oddometer:
    Why wont Kawasaki Update this bike? I would love the bike to have a stronger engine, and six gears :)
    thechief86 likes this.
  8. Cabrito

Cabrito I come in peace Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think it's best to have a fresh set of gaskets on hand just in case you need one.

I did my doo at a tech day with some really helpful KLRista's guiding me through it. Twice actually because I used the coil spring the first time and must have damaged it during installation because it broke the first time I adjusted it. Second time I installed the torsion spring.

Both times I found the gaskets in fine shape and at the suggestion of the KLRista's helping me I did not replace them. I just put a little bit of gasket sealer on it (very little - not slathered on). It's held up fine with no leaks.

The clutch side was a totally different story, That old gasket was stuck on and required a lot of work to get it off.

My .02c is inspect the gasket and if it looks good and came of easy go ahead and re-use it. It's worked for me.
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  9. willys

willys Long timer

Oddometer:
    The only reason I can see is they are a proven top seller and people ride then forever so to speak. They are at a price where almost anyone can purchase one. They are somewhat builtproof, I did say somewhat. Do the DOO and move on at least.
    If they were to do an engine update to include 6 gears I would be it will include FI too. That jump would push the price of the bike into the BMW range I bet. Thus taking it out of the very profitable range it's in at the moment. For us and them.

It is a relatively cheap bike to buy and maintain, parts are readily available almost anywhere on the globe, so why mess with a strong working formula?

Yes even I am still looking for 6th gear it seems lately, would it be nice, sure. But I won't loose any sleep over not having 6th. If someone could redesign the gearbox for a saleable price, I may go for it. But I can just as easy change the sprockets to get close to the same thing. I ride solely on the street. Dirt riders already have the same choice, gear it down for better get up and go if they choose.

I think we always are asking for a better bike for the same money....it will never happen....IMHO.:freaky
    dengwynn, Singlespeed92 and tanstaafl like this.
  10. XDragRacer

XDragRacer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    From this comment, sounds now to me like someone may be a defensive, judgmental, perhaps egotistical person.

Here's hoping the purported KLR thread avoids the evangelical dogmatism of the KLR forums mentioned, with self-styled guru authorities dictating the "one true way" to address all issues.

Cynicism and sarcasm aside, no reason not to have a KLR-specific thread, filled (one hopes) with civility and sense.
  11. Tsotsie

Tsotsie Semi-reformed Tsotsi Supporter

Oddometer:
    "Sounds like someone is a bitter person, not wanting to participate without throwing a few stones?" Willys. Your rant!

Anyone who has been on a bike forum or any other forum, will by now have realized that they contain a lot of BS. Merely stating that makes a person bitter? Why would stating the obvious get your panties in a wad - unless you have something we need to know?

"Take all advice, including this, with a pinch of salt" Tsotsie.
  12. Sourjon

Sourjon TAT'erd

Oddometer:

Well I was going to sub to this but three pages in and already this crap!!?? Is Glenn one of these posters?

Out...

John
    Baccadon likes this.
  13. Henderson757

Oddometer:
    I love my klr i am just saying the engine has not been really updated in like 20u years. Haha. I would pay 8k for a newer style klr. Or maybe i just want to see kawasaki make a beefy adventure bike, to keep up with the the rest of the manufacturers. I want kawasaki to be the leaders.
    On a side note, i painted my bike this weekend khaki color. Looks greak, just got to paint the gas tank.
    tac650 and lccc1 like this.
  14. 2handedSpey

2handedSpey bunned

Oddometer:
    Fwiw... For a taller KLR rider, the zero gravity touring/sport screen with KLRDash adjustable risers work very very well for excellent buffeting. If you're 6'4" or more, save yourself a bunch of money and just buy one that fits and looks cool.

EagleMike bar riser blocks= A+

Ps... I do not work for, know, associate or any other connection to these two products other than I had been comparing & trying out many different combos. YMMV but for my $150 this was a perfect fit.

PLUS.... FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, AM I THE ONLY ONE WHO IS ALWAYS TRYING TO SHIFT INTO 6th GEAR, ALL THE TIME!?!?!?:rofl

Same token, I cannot figure out why guys go with a 17 tooth front. I feel like I am always about to glug & stall out when on mild trails and the ominal dirt riding I do. I just couldn't imagine trying to wind that fat pig up just to climb slight dirt bumps. Again YMMV.

Pps... This is been the best motorcycle I have ever owned. It's so much fun to ride. So very simple to ride. I love sitting up high & tall (higher than giant SUV's). It is just such a treat to ride around on. If I'm cruising down the highway and see a dark gravel road throu the hills, the KLR awards me to just say "hey, stop. Turn around & let's just see where this goes." could be an old abandoned building with a stellar view or a house on property which is vacant and on short sale. Etc etc etc... Couldnt do this on the Harley, Brit bikes or the Suzuki I owned. Just my homely KLR with a GIANT oem tank.:lol3
    gaff, JohnnyP3, socalscott and 2 others like this.
  15. Kawidad

Kawidad Long timer

Oddometer:

Why drop into someone's efforts to build a comprehensive KLR thread, like is done with the XRL, DR's, etc and bash and belittle the effort and the people? :krusty

My experiences with those other forums, and here, is they are full of good advice and people who are helpful unless you're an :asshat.

Now back to the bike. :deal As to the forks, you don't have to completely disassemble them to clean them. I've found that if the oil is really contaminated, you can fill them with paint thinner or mineral spirits and pump them up a few times, and flush them out. Then fill them back again and let it sit overnight, then completely drain them. Refill with ATF, which is cheap and the same chemically as fork oil, rinse them out so you get rid of the mineral spirits or whatever you choose. Then refill with the fork oil of your choice, or stay with ATF, which works just fine at a fraction of the cost. After all it IS a KLR. :evil
  16. timbercat

timbercat Texas Cruiser

Oddometer:
    I'm all for a positive KLR site where we can share information as we enjoy our KLR's

I can start it off now.

09 will not start. Battery is good. All lights work. Horn ect. Seems like I have read about the kick stand switch being a problem. There must be a way to bypass that switch so that I can tell if it's the problem. Anyone know how to do this? I'm in the middle of a multi day ride and could sure use the help :evil
  17. lexluther11

Oddometer:
    Have you checked all your starter connections, plugs and wires? To Bypass kickstand switch http://www.klr650.net/forums/showthread.php?t=22279&highlight=bypass
    gaff likes this.
  18. Kawidad

Kawidad Long timer

Oddometer:

IIRC, you should be able to disconnect the wiring and shunt them together to test it out. Also, there is a clutch safety switch you should check. They sometimes clog with goo and stop moving.
  19. XDragRacer

XDragRacer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    You jump to unwarranted conclusions, as usual, willys. I have never been banned nor "driven away" from any website; check any members list where I have posted.

Just wondering, how is one, "driven away" from an Internet website? By angry villagers, wielding pitchforks and torches?
  20. VOLdog

VOLdog Motorcycle related jobs ??

Oddometer:
    Present........:1drink